Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
11-29-2018, 08:49 PM - 3 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

Very Unscientific comparison between Sandisk Extreme Pro SD and Sandisk Ultra MicroSD

So with the Sandisk Ultra MicroSD cards on sale for $19.99 on Amazon this last weekend, I could not resist and purchased 2 for my cameras.

My hope was that their write speeds were fast enough on the K-1 and the K-1 Mark II to match my single 128gb Extreme Pro. Since that chip is overkill with the K-1 write speeds only up to 30MB/s. Why buy cards rated at 3 times the speed the camera can write.

Well the cards arrived and I did a very (very) unscientific test.

I setup both cameras with the same setting and to Manual Focus. 1/5 second ISO 100 low aperture. Also set to Continuous shooting: High

A K-1 and a K-1 Mark II

I then pressed the shutter button down and held it for 15 to 20 seconds to take a bunch of images and then release them at the same time.

I wanted to see how fast the cameras would write to each card.

I did say unscientific!

Well after multiple tests, the Ultra took slightly longer to save all the images. Around 3 seconds each time.

I then swapped the memory cards and tested them in the other camera in case there was something special w/ the Mark II.

There was not, the camera with the Ultra MicroSD's were slightly slower.

To be honest, not slow enough for me to not use the cards though.

Personally, 95% of my photography will not need to worry about the write speeds since I do Landscape and Astro.

So the Ultra is slower and for some that might be important. But it is not slow enough for me to worry about.

And a video to show my so very unscientific test.

11-29-2018, 09:46 PM   #2

FYI the FAQs that have been removed on the Ricoh/Pentax support pages warned against using MicroSD cards. No reason given.
11-29-2018, 09:58 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
FYI the FAQs that have been removed on the Ricoh/Pentax support pages warned against using MicroSD cards. No reason given.
That is my memory as well.

Conventional wisdom has been that even with an appropriate adapter, MicroSD cards are not intended for regular use in devices supporting regular SD cards. I suspect capacitance concerns due to the extra set of contacts inside the adapter.

Steve
11-30-2018, 02:08 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I'm thankful that we photography types are rational people who understand that the only difference a memory card can make is in write speed and reliability. When I've got my classical vinyl dealing hat on I talk quite often with some serious hi-fi nuts, and those guys would be arguing that your choice of card can make an actual difference in the photos. They'd be saying that you really need to connect your camera to your computer with a $500 usb cable for better colours and contrast. Heck, they'd be saying that even the mains cable that you use on your battery charger can make a visible difference in your photos.

So I'd just like to say thank you, everyone, for being photographers instead of audiophiles.

(Full disclosure: yes, I'm a bit of a hi-fi addict myself. But I've never drunk the Kool Aid that makes you think that digital storage methods can sound different.)

Last edited by Dartmoor Dave; 11-30-2018 at 02:54 AM.
11-30-2018, 04:05 AM - 1 Like   #5
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
I'm thankful that we photography types are rational people who understand that the only difference a memory card can make is in write speed and reliability. When I've got my classical vinyl dealing hat on I talk quite often with some serious hi-fi nuts, and those guys would be arguing that your choice of card can make an actual difference in the photos. They'd be saying that you really need to connect your camera to your computer with a $500 usb cable for better colours and contrast. Heck, they'd be saying that even the mains cable that you use on your battery charger can make a visible difference in your photos.

So I'd just like to say thank you, everyone, for being photographers instead of audiophiles.

(Full disclosure: yes, I'm a bit of a hi-fi addict myself. But I've never drunk the Kool Aid that makes you think that digital storage methods can sound different.)
So you don't fancy one of these, Dave?

Crystal Cable's Crystal USB Absolute Dream

11-30-2018, 05:22 AM - 2 Likes   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote

I replaced all the dials on my K-3ii with genetically engineered teak wood that's been dried in ancient Egyptian kilns and laquered with the extracts from rare Uzbek honeybees, all engineered to absorb stray light that might enter the viewfinder and make my photos less sharp. The set was only $4500.

Are you saying that was a bad investment?

11-30-2018, 06:44 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I do know that only certain mini sd cards are suitable for dash cams. Something about them not holding up to a lot of writes and deletions.

11-30-2018, 06:53 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Only time I've had to worry about write speed is if I'm shooting RAW to both card slots. If I'm only shooting RAW to one, I have no issues with speed for my style of shooting, but writing to both cards, I do notice it occasionally.
11-30-2018, 11:45 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I kept looking for information to indicate it was not recommended and never found any. So I figure I would buy these.

They will be in slot 2 on my cameras and normal SD cards in slot 1. So I will be curious if I even do run into issues with these.