Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-07-2018, 01:41 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Seeing focus point?

Hi all,

I'm borrowing a K-1 for evaluation. My current camera is a K-5iis. I like what I see so far. One immediate annoyance is not being able to tell what focus point the camera is using when in AF. Do they not light up? Do I have to change a setting somewhere? Also, the camera has 1.0 firmware, any firmware updates for this?

I seem to remember back when the K-1 came out people had a similar complaint. I hope it's something that can be rectified? Thanks.

12-07-2018, 02:14 PM - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jake14mw Quote
Hi all,

I'm borrowing a K-1 for evaluation. My current camera is a K-5iis. I like what I see so far. One immediate annoyance is not being able to tell what focus point the camera is using when in AF. Do they not light up? Do I have to change a setting somewhere? Also, the camera has 1.0 firmware, any firmware updates for this?

I seem to remember back when the K-1 came out people had a similar complaint. I hope it's something that can be rectified? Thanks.
Yes, you need to change some settings, namely in the main menu as well as the custom functions. These are detailed here:
Pentax K-1 Review - Viewfinder | PentaxForums.com Reviews

A lot of features have been added since firmware 1.0 (including 1:1 cropping), so you should install that while you're at it.
Pentax K-1 Firmware v1.50 Released - Firmware Updates | PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-07-2018, 07:02 PM   #3
Pentaxian

One immediate annoyance is not being able to tell what focus point the camera is using when in AF. Do they not light up?
They should light up when you change the focus point in single selection mode.

If you just want to see the active ones, you can press the "AF MODE" button on the left front side of the camera.
12-09-2018, 07:29 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I should have clarified. So, when I take a picture, the focus point used shows up as a black outlined box? On the K-5, it shows up as a red dot. The red dot is easily seen. The black box is hardly visable.

12-09-2018, 09:19 AM   #5
Pentaxian

So, when I take a picture, the focus point used shows up as a black outlined box?
Whenever you move the focus point (in manual select single AF area mode, for instance) or press the "AF MODE" button on the camera, the selected focus point(s) should light up red.

Perhaps this is setting dependent or perhaps your viewfinder illumination is not working?
12-10-2018, 07:16 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks. All I am talking about is knowing which focus point the camera is selecting when I half press the shutter. I have looked at it more closely and compared to the K-5. I guess it does provide the same functionality, but it is not nearly as distinct with the K-1? In the K-5, if the center focus point is used, there is a distinct bright red outline of the focus point. For the other focus points, the red indicator light fills the whole box of the focus point. In the K-1 the focus point(s) used show as a faint (IMO) black box that is illuminated by a red light from the side of the viewfinder? Unless my K-1 is defective, or I still have something set wrong, it is MUCH more difficult to know which focus point is being selected by the camera for focusing with the K-1.

I know you both know the camera very well, so if you think there is no distinct difference between the two than either I still have something set wrong, or my K-1 is defective.
12-10-2018, 10:59 AM   #7
Pentaxian

K-5:
Active AF point gets illuminated for a short time when pressing the shutter/AF-button the first time und when AF is locked. Anytime else it's just black.

K-1:
Active AF point gets illuminated for a short time when AF is locked. Anytime else it's just black
Whole outer Frame and active focus point can also be illumiated during the use of the AF MODE button.

12-25-2018, 04:55 PM   #8

Photos: Gallery
I agree it's quite annoying. The inner lines in the viewfinder are also so thin that if it's slightly dim, I often can't tell the center point unless I spam AF everywhere to get it to light up. it would be nice to be able to have it constantly lit or more visible.
12-25-2018, 06:01 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Look at C9. It should illuminate red when focus is successful
12-25-2018, 06:13 PM   #10
Pentaxian

That's right, but much less than with the K-5.
05-25-2019, 04:14 AM   #11
Pentaxian

I'm borrowing a K-1 for evaluation. My current camera is a K-5iis.
Still using the K-5 or already planning to get an K-1 ?
05-26-2019, 07:42 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by angerdan Quote
K-5:
Active AF point gets illuminated for a short time when pressing the shutter/AF-button the first time und when AF is locked. Anytime else it's just black.

K-1:
Active AF point gets illuminated for a short time when AF is locked. Anytime else it's just black
Whole outer Frame and active focus point can also be illuminated during the use of the AF MODE button.
I've had the same problem with the focus point not illuminating, although my shooting method is different than the OP's. I use BBF with the AF button and a single focus point. I've reviewed the info on the site referred to in Adam's post but didn't find info illuminating the focus point with the specific way I focus. After reading the above post I found for the first time that the use of the AF Mode button as described above works. But is this the only way I can illuminate the selected focus point with the focus method I am using? The AF Mode button is somewhat inconveniently placed, especially for my fat, fumbling fingers. Thanks for any advice.
05-26-2019, 09:21 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wanderer2 Quote
After reading the above post I found for the first time that the use of the AF Mode button as described above works.

But is this the only way I can illuminate the selected focus point with the focus method I am using?
AFAIK yes.
Has been better in the K-5, but i don't often took photos in Darkness and even then the AF mostly finds something and the active focus point is illuminated shortly.
04-06-2020, 02:05 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Seems like someone rediscovered the feature:
K1 AF points highlighting - PentaxForums.com