Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-09-2018, 05:01 PM   #1
Gaseous Anomaly
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Two insignificant questions

And here they are, as promised...

1) Is it possible to set the custom setting dial such that the settings can increase or decrease when rotating in one direction? For example, I've got mine set to ISO almost full time, but I find very often that my natural response is to rotate in the wrong direction. Is there a way to reverse the factory assignment such that, say, option 1 = CCW , increase ISO, and option 2 = CCW, decrease ISO?

2) I have recently changed from RAW+ to just RAW and have set both my K-1s to write to cards sequentially. One of them is writing to slot #1, and the other is writing to slot #2. Is there a way to set which card gets written first? Both cards are formatted and empty, so not sure why one camera chose slot #2.

See? Insignificant.

Thanks for any responses.

12-09-2018, 05:09 PM - 2 Likes   #2

QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
so not sure why one camera chose slot #2
iirc it depends on the order the card is inserted. Insert the card in slot #1 last. It can't be changed in the menu and yes it's annoying Hopefully a firmware update will solve this issues eventually.
12-09-2018, 06:04 PM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The way I set it is to put one card in the slot (2) I want to be used first. Then turn on and off the camera. Then put the other card in the remaining slot (1). The camera will now choose slot 2 to write to first

If you take the card out of slot 2 , do not turn it on again until you have replaced the card, or it will start reading from 1.

The reason I choose slot 2 is that I find it less fiddly to remove the card from that than slot 1.

---------- Post added 12-10-18 at 01:21 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by K1N8 Quote
iirc it depends on the order the card is inserted
Not quite, it depends on which slot has a card in when it is powered on.

Last edited by pschlute; 12-09-2018 at 06:19 PM.
12-09-2018, 06:37 PM - 1 Like   #4

To clarify on inserting the cards... With the power off, take one of the cards out and leave the card in the slot you want to write to first. Turn on the camera and it will start writing to the slot that has the card. Now that the camera has picked that as the first slot to write to, you can turn the camera off and insert the 2nd card. They will then write in the order you want.

12-09-2018, 08:19 PM   #5
Gaseous Anomaly
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Fantastic! Thanks for the info everyone.
12-09-2018, 10:28 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
Is it possible to set the custom setting dial such that the settings can increase or decrease when rotating in one direction?
I do not think that type of customization can be done. It is possible to change the rotation direction of the front or rear e-dials, but not the rotation direction of the Settings dial. This inconsistency could easily be corrected in the firmware. Probably just an omission.
12-10-2018, 01:03 AM   #7

I don't find anything inconsistent with the eDials. Turn to the left = lower or lesser values. Turn to the right = higher or greater values. Same direction for front or back dials. Makes sense as your typical ordinate scale increases left to right.

So just remember Left to Lower.
12-16-2018, 11:54 AM   #8
Gaseous Anomaly
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Here's a third question of equal or slightly greater significance. Has anyone found a way to shoot RAW + JPG and assign which card gets the RAW files and which gets the JPGs? Seems Card #1 = RAW and Card #2 = JPG is hardwired in there for no reason I can figure. Would appreciate a way to reverse the assignment.

12-17-2018, 04:20 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Or swap the cards…