Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 14 Likes Search this Thread
12-19-2018, 09:42 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Your K1 User Settings...

Anyone care to share your unique User Settings and why you configured them the way you did? I'm setting mine up and am wondering if I've not thought of something clever - which I probably haven't!

12-19-2018, 10:22 AM - 1 Like   #2
sbh
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Most of the time i am in M mode and raw+. Toggle pixelshift with the front custom button.
Features that I change most often are in the info panel.
Wifi and bkt are toggeled via the top dial.
12-19-2018, 10:41 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

On the K-3II I have the user settings for 1) telephoto, using TAv and ISO limited to 3200, 2) hyper-program for normal walk-around so that i can switch between Av and Tv instantly, and 3) pixel shift, with 2-second delay in drive mode and ISO set to ISO100.

Non-user mode is set to landscape setting for use with video. I rarely use manual mode. RAW for all stills.
12-19-2018, 11:05 AM - 4 Likes   #4
Pentaxian

U1: Landscape (AWB, AE matrix, Av, AF.S center point, Extended DR enabled, SR enabled (off tripod), LV ES enabled, f/11, Image format RAW, Drive mode single shot 3s delay remote IR)
U2: Portrait (AWB, AE center weighted, Av, AF.S select L, Extended DR off, Skin correction enabled, SR enabled (off tripod), LV ES disabled, f/4, Image format RAW, Drive mode single shot with shutter button)
U3: Wildlife S (AWB, AE center weighted, TAv, AF.C select S, Extended DR off, SR disabled, LV ES disabled, f5.6 + 1/500th, Image format JPEG L, Drive mode burst H with shutter button)
U4: Wildlife M (AWB, AE center weighted, TAv, AF.C select M, Extended DR off, SR disabled, LV ES disabled, f5.6 + 1/500th, Image format JPEG L, Drive mode burst H with shutter button)
U5: Wildlife L (AWB, AE center weighted, TAv, AF.C select L, Extended DR off, SR disabled, LV ES disabled, f5.6 + 1/500th, Image format JPEG L, Drive mode burst H with shutter button)

INFO tiles: all functions that have an impact of exposure but that can't be changed via a hardware button or smart dial. This allows quicker access to shooting condition that couldn't be changed by post processing of RAW files.

12-19-2018, 11:11 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Brilliant! Thanks for the details! Anyone else feel free to add yours too - really helpful!
12-19-2018, 01:01 PM - 1 Like   #6
sbh
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
INFO tiles: all functions that have an impact of exposure but that can't be changed via a hardware button or smart dial. ....
Exactly!
The smart dial + the info panel means that I hardly ever need to go into the the menus.
12-19-2018, 01:19 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by microlight Quote
1) telephoto, using TAv and ISO limited to 3200
Same here. plus USER modes with different settings for continuous shooting.

12-19-2018, 02:01 PM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

U1 1/1250 f8 TAV center weighted metering, 9 point focus
U2 1/1250 f8 TAV single point focus single point metering
U3 1/1250 f8 M single point focus
U4 Pixel shift, dynamic.
U5 Electronic shutter.

I start with the basic settings how I like them; the button and dial assignments, raw, white balance. I saved all the modes with the basic settings that I like, then adjust each one and name them.

I'll change things on the fly and they stick until I cycle the power. For example I switch between spot and many point focus in a given session, changing the aperture or shutter speed on the fly. I can switch back to the mode without losing the session settings. But cycling the power resets everything to a predictable and known setting.

I'll adjust the shutter speed up or down for a season and save it.
12-19-2018, 06:51 PM   #9
sbh
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wow, people actually use all these user modes. Nice! I couldn't remember the individual settings so I learned to use full manual. On a new scene the green button resets to the current exposuere and I tweak it from there. For quick snapshots I go full auto with the „bright“ setting.
12-20-2018, 06:52 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Good question and tips everyone. Thanks.
I’m a Brooks Jenson fan and he recently provided his way of setting up user modes on one of his podcasts. He sets one up for camera to be used on a tripod and another for hand held more or less. These are all good suggestions and ideas. I’m always fumbling through menus and inevitably forget to change something critical for the situation.

Tom
12-20-2018, 11:38 PM   #11
Pentaxian

I used to employ user modes to quickly shift between using flash or not in fast paced situations. This included choosing "M" mode for the user mode intended to be used when employing flash and "Av" for the user mode in the other case.
12-22-2018, 02:38 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
For those who shoot with manual focus lenses: do you have any special User Settings on your K1/K1ii's that work for you?
12-23-2018, 07:15 AM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
Ok... hold your breath guys (and gals) but yours truly has just finished the first draft of an Excel 'User Mode' spreadsheet for the K-1 camera!
It's completely open, nothing password protected. Please note this is not editable anymore, just download/save and tinker
The Spectacular K-1 User Mode Sharing Service! - PentaxForums.com
12-23-2018, 09:50 AM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
U1: Set up for bracketing (I've never used it).
U2: Set up for astrophotography (I've never used it, but I may some day).
U3: Pixel shift, 2-second delay, in manual mode
U4: Manual without SR (for tripod use without 2-second delay — rarely used)
U5: Manual with 2-second delay (for tripod — most used setting).

I use M for most of my hand-held shooting, T/AV for hand-held shooting when needing AE (not used very often), and SV for AE work with the AF280T flash. I don't use any of the other modes.
12-27-2018, 01:45 PM - 2 Likes   #15
Pentaxian

One I haven't seen posted yet:

I have my U1 set to "normal camera" mode (I call it "family mode") -- P exposure, -2/3 EV comp, AF-S Auto-33 focus (using half shutter button press). If I need to hand the camera off to someone to take a picture, I set it to U1 and let them fire away.