Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
01-11-2019, 08:14 AM   #1
Veteran Member

rubber grip on K1 coming undone

please note, this is NOT a hit on the K1 build quality!
after about 3 years of use, i've just put my K1 through several sand, ice, rain, wind storms, and tons of other random weather systems.
as such, the rubber grip where my fingers sit, and the thumb grip (where all the control buttons sit) is coming undone.

i went to Henry's, and they said that even to look at the camera, it'll be a $200 charge. they will have to send it in to get it repaired, but i think that $200 for the grip alone is a little excessive.

any one ever got theirs repaired, and if so, roughly how much did you guys end up paying?

i know i can just drive and drop it to the local pentax repaid place that is about 30 minutes drive from where i live. they would prolly do it cheaper too?

01-11-2019, 08:30 AM - 2 Likes   #2

Peel the rubber off. Scrub gently with soap and water, let dry. Get a contact adhesive - PlioBond recommended - glue the rubber back on. Cost of the PlioBond (1 oz) will set you back around $5 USD.
01-11-2019, 08:34 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Peel the rubber off. Scrub gently with soap and water, let dry. Get a contact adhesive - PlioBond recommended - glue the rubber back on. Cost of the PlioBond (1 oz) will set you back around $5 USD.
i was debating on doing that. but my concern is any weather seal damage. if i dont secure it tight enough, water/etc can seem through the openings, and potentially destroy the camera?

although.... for what its worth, i did take my camera through South East Asia, and wasn't exactly careful with it. i was advised that there will be lots of humidity and rain issues, so keep it in a sealed plastic bag at all times...so if i didn't care of what potential damage it may cause, i suppose a DIY wont be an issue either
01-11-2019, 08:52 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Here's an image of the construction under the outer skin: https://www.pentaxforums.com/content/uploads/files/77/1600/k-1_magnesium.jpg. Based on this, I don't think you have much to worry about regarding loss of weather sealing if you peel off and reglue the rubber grips. There does appear to be a body hole in the lower front of the front grip. That would be my only worry.

01-11-2019, 09:41 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Go for it yourself. I did it on my camera K-5II as described above by Not a Number, very easy to do and cost me nothing.
01-11-2019, 09:47 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by hadi Quote
rubber grip on K1 coming undone
Same here. I asked for some ideas here a while ago. I purchased some glue (done some research, found glue that would suit, asked the seller who told me another choice that was wrong..). The grip was getting lose on the mid-high of the grip, so I sealed it, some of the glue stuck at the edge of the grip that would leave some white traces (not good whenever reselling the camera, obviously would have an impact in price). I was happy but decided that I would use another adhesive next time. Then, few month later, the lower part of the grip started for get lose, so I bought some double sided transparent tape and stuck it under the grip, it was fine. Except, I understood why the grip came lose, is because the grip material gets permanently stretched over time, so that after I glued the rubber layer tight to the grip, there was excess rubber material at the edges of the grip that would prevent proper sealing, so I have to cut 0.5mm of excess grip rubber, and now obviously it is visible as it doesn't fit perfectly at the edge. Anyway, when I pulled off the rubber to insert glue adhesive, I saw that the original adhesive band used by Ricoh looked like old stuff, I just wondered if there was any point to save money on that kind of adhesive. Also, I looked to buy spare rubber grip part for the K1 and couldn't find, so I gave up. We'll see when the grip rubber will stretch further, I'll probably have another camera model by then.

The experience taught me that it's better to remove the whole rubber piece remove the original adhesive so that to get a clean surface. And use a glue that is slow to stick so that it is possible to position the rubber layer precisely on the grip. And the glue must not dissolve the rubber otherwise the rubber itself gets lose again after some time.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 01-11-2019 at 09:56 AM.
01-11-2019, 10:07 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Glue

Most companies use double stick tape now. Not a number's suggestion of using pliobond works great in my experience.

01-11-2019, 01:45 PM - 1 Like   #8

For best results with a contact adhesive you want to spread an even layer on both surfaces, let the glue dry and then join the surfaces. If you just lightly "tack" the surfaces together you can reposition if you make an alignment error. Once everything is in place properly press the surfaces together with the ball of your thumb or better yet a small rubber roller.