Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-14-2019, 03:37 AM   #16
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
I don't see anything wrong with being excited when somebody else (here the Pentax engineers) excel at their job and gift one with a tool that does much more than simply work.
Agreed. Just like any vocation, when you develop both an affinity and a skill to it, using sophisticated tools makes it exponentially more enjoyable.

I believe it matters that a K-5 (which is not an extreme featherweight) only weighs 73% of the K-1 (batteries included).
I appreciate that the absolute figures tell all, but practically speaking I found no problem with holding either camera + grip for extended periods of time. With the grip on both, there is proportionally less difference between the two.

customisability should be higher not lower
Agree with that to a point. Could you imagine a camera with enough dials to cover all camera options?!?

As long as your grip sits tight, I wouldn't worry.
Good reassurance there. Thanks. I won't worry about it, though to me it's not a desirable change from previous builds.

the tiny toggle switch above the eight-way (aka "four way") controller is just too small and almost hiding behind the ridge of the eight-way controller.
Yes, this is a minor issue, but it's a button I will use more than occasionally, and I agree it is too recessed for practical use without the need to pull away from the viewfinder.

I also would have preferred the battery grip to replicate the layout of the camera buttons as closely as possible
I agree with that too. The grip should match the camera layout rather than follow the legacy of previous grips.

the K-1 (II) is an excellent camera and it enriches my photography experience in a way that a Sony MILC never could.
That's something coming from a Sony buff.

01-14-2019, 04:33 AM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Could you imagine a camera with enough dials to cover all camera options?!?
I think trying to cover all options through dedicated hardware controls is an unrealistic endeavour.

However, as most people don't need to have control over everything all the time, it makes sense to allow them to utilise the existing controls in the way they see fit.
Such an approach supports individual preferences as well as allowing one and the same individual to customise their experience depending on the situation.

I'd argue that the more customisable hardware controls are, the fewer you need of them to satisfy any given individual (acknowledging that the union of all individual preferences could not be satisfactorily addressed by a much larger set of controls).

I won't worry about it, though to me it's not a desirable change from previous builds.
I agree that phenomena like that do not instil a sense of craftsmanship. However, functionally, there shouldn't be any disadvantages. I've never heard the wheel rattle, for instance. I haven't used the grip that many times yet, though.

That's something coming from a Sony buff.
I don't think it should come as a surprise that even a company like Sony isn't infallible.
01-14-2019, 04:41 AM   #18
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
The rattling can be achieved by gentle fiddling of the wheel in the y-axis causing a hard plastic toy-like knocking sound. Perhaps because of this association I make the grip has an undesirably “cheap” feel to me, but just in that part. Everything else about the grip (other than it not being flush with the screen) is well engineered.
01-14-2019, 10:32 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

have an over-shoulder camera bag that can fit the K-1+grip+Tamron 28-75 along with the 3 amigos and flash. It's not a big bag
Which bag is this? An old Tamrac backpack has carried my concert kit for a few years -- although big enough, it is frustratingly inflexible in dividing up space.

01-14-2019, 03:35 PM   #20
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sluggo Quote
Which bag is this? An old Tamrac backpack has carried my concert kit for a few years -- although big enough, it is frustratingly inflexible in dividing up space.
I have a bag similar to this one, probably slightly bigger, but room enough for the camera in one compartment, two Ltds in the middle, and the other Ltd in the third compartment with the flash straddled across the top of them.

01-14-2019, 03:52 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Hey Ash, Congrats on the K-1 ll, Not sure if my grip has the same wiggle in the screw as yours, never really noticed.

I too, was at first puzzled by the relocation of the play button and LV . but must admit now, I actually prefer the play button where it is, I find it quicker to review a photo, esp when shooting with a longer lens, ( IE holding the lens barrel with my left hand and body with my right ) , I can just hit it with my Thumb, whilst still holding the camera in shooting hold, now when I'm using my K-5, I have to change my grip on everything to press the play button , It's just what we get used to I suppose.

The Third dial, for me, is not overly used, altho, I mostly have it set to crop mode, so I can toggle around between FF and 1:1 mostly , ( 1:1 mode makes crop lenses all useable on the K-1 )

If you like the K-1 now, just wait till you get out and do some Milkyway shots, Skies around here aren't great at the moment, but when It clears up you definatly need to get out and try some.

cmohr
01-14-2019, 04:59 PM   #22
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cmohr Quote
Hey Ash, Congrats on the K-1 ll, Not sure if my grip has the same wiggle in the screw as yours, never really noticed.
Thanks mate! It's been a while since I've heard from you. (Then again, I'm the one that has been absent a lot of the time).
The plastic wiggle in the grip was one of the first things I noticed on it, as I screwed it into the body, it tinkers around from the slight play between the wheel and the housing.
It really isn't a big deal, certainly not a functional issue, but I'm accustomed to the previous grips with such tight tolerances and workmanship.

I actually prefer the play button where it is, I find it quicker to review a photo, esp when shooting with a longer lens
I'm sure I'll get over the relocation too, and come to appreciate the current play button's location. It's just human nature for us to compare one way of doing things with another.

I can toggle around between FF and 1:1 mostly
That's a handy idea. One flip and you're set. I also appreciate the idea of the third dial and its associated function wheel. It takes up a little real estate on the camera's top, and it makes it look a little more crowded, but it's all very neatly packed together with quality dials.

wait till you get out and do some Milkyway shots
Definitely keen on giving the astro a go as I have with the K-5 IIs + O-GPS1 previously. I'm just waiting for one of my UWA primes to arrive (I have a Rokinon 14mm on the way, and an FA 20 I sent to a fellow member here to do a CLA) and I'll be onto it.
01-20-2019, 03:23 PM - 1 Like   #23
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
The image quality and field of view are something to behold.

My first outing at our lovely tourist attraction in town gave me a new perspective on FF photography.

The FA 31 Ltd is now quite a wide angle lens:
Picnic point flagstaff by Ash

Russell St by Ash

01-20-2019, 06:18 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I just noticed the grip wheel wiggling. This is on a K1 => Mark II that I've had for a couple years. No issues with water or weakness.