Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-12-2019, 04:13 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Problem with new K1 II - suddenly shoots in black and white

Took the new camera, K1 11 out this morning for it's first outing. Had the 15-30mm on, doing city/architecture shots. All went well untill I had shot around 40 images. Shooting on manual, 800 iso, early in the morning. It then only started shooting in monochrome. Every mode except for Auto shot in mono. Funny enough the USER settings shot in colour. Three that I had programmed in plus the others that are factory set. I had a similar problem with my K5 years ago. It shot in mono for only about half hour then righted itself, only happened once.

01-12-2019, 04:36 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's really easy to inadvertently change the custom image setting (i.e. with your nose when shooting through the viewfinder). First, press the right directional button and switch back to the default custom image mode (or whatever you were using before).

Then, go into the custom function menu, change custom function 20 to 2, and never again will this happen (because you will need to press the OK button first to change those settings).

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-12-2019, 04:39 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sometimes I accidentally exit the AF Point selection screen, so when I press the arrow buttons, I end up changing my White Balance or Custom Image mode. Could that have happened?
01-12-2019, 04:43 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
It's really easy to inadvertently change the custom image setting (i.e. with your nose when shooting through the viewfinder). First, press the right directional button and switch back to the default custom image mode (or whatever you were using before).

Then, go into the custom function menu, change custom function 20 to 2, and never again will this happen (because you will need to press the OK button first to change those settings).
Thanks very much Adam. That was the problem. Fixed. I must have a big snozze

---------- Post added 01-13-2019 at 10:55 AM ----------

Now that I have set the custom settings no. 20 to 2 I cannot then access my custom settings at all, even after pressing ok. I must be doing something wrong.

01-13-2019, 01:35 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wombatwal Quote
It then only started shooting in monochrome. Every mode except for Auto shot in mono.
Do you shoot RAW or jpeg? Lightroom ignores the B&W setting when it imports RAW, so you get colour anyway.
01-13-2019, 04:58 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
Do you shoot RAW or jpeg? Lightroom ignores the B&W setting when it imports RAW, so you get colour anyway.
I shoot RAW. But i do not use Lightroom. Photoshop CS6 only.
01-13-2019, 08:07 PM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
Yes, your right Paul. I just processed one of my RAW monochromes and came up colour in Photoshop. I thought the mono images would be JPEGs.
01-13-2019, 08:18 PM   #8
Pentaxian

My understanding is that the embedded jpeg will be mono, but the LR and PS don't use those (except perhaps very temporarily while they make their own). You get default colour profile no matter what, so the camera scene modes in RAW are a bit pointless.

01-14-2019, 07:05 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wombatwal Quote
Thanks very much Adam. That was the problem. Fixed. I must have a big snozze

---------- Post added 01-13-2019 at 10:55 AM ----------

Now that I have set the custom settings no. 20 to 2 I cannot then access my custom settings at all, even after pressing ok. I must be doing something wrong.
To access the custom settings you first press the small button next to the four way controller, up to the right, then press the custom funktion you want to change.

The OK button will center your focus point when pressed in "Fokus point selection mode"
5 Days Ago   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tjompen1968 Quote
To access the custom settings you first press the small button next to the four way controller, up to the right, then press the custom funktion you want to change.

The OK button will center your focus point when pressed in "Fokus point selection mode"
Ah, thanks very much Tj. It's easy when you know how.