Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
01-17-2019, 08:52 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Pentax DFA 150-450mm

I ordered a DFA 150-450mm on Dec 31, 2018. The deal was very attractive.
The well known Canadian camera shop told me that it will take 2-3 weeks before Pentax Canada will receive the lens.
Just received today a phone call telling me that the lens won’t be here before weeks!! Will have to be shipped from Japan.

I don’t believe it. My idea the deal was so good. (The lens has been fully paid)

I anybody can tell me if Pentax Canada has it in inventory. Just investigate the truth on this matter.

Thanks to all

01-17-2019, 09:50 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
There's another current thread where another Canadian customer was waiting on a KP to be shipped. It must be the truth.
01-17-2019, 10:28 PM   #3
HYS
Veteran Member

Don't trust the "so good deal" .
01-17-2019, 11:22 PM - 2 Likes   #4
Pentaxian

It's worth the wait.

01-18-2019, 04:37 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If you got a great deal on it there is nothing really to do except wait. However at least here in the UK, a reputable retailer won't charge the item to the credit card until it is in their hands and is ready to be shipped.
01-18-2019, 04:40 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax US has done the same thing numerous times. Patience was usually rewarded.
01-18-2019, 05:21 AM   #7
Veteran Member

it is the same here in Thailand wait 1 or 2 months then next week I recieve said item, Ian

01-18-2019, 06:05 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gerardbaron Quote
I ordered a DFA 150-450mm on Dec 31, 2018. The deal was very attractive.
The well known Canadian camera shop told me that it will take 2-3 weeks before Pentax Canada will receive the lens.
Just received today a phone call telling me that the lens won’t be here before weeks!! Will have to be shipped from Japan.

I don’t believe it. My idea the deal was so good. (The lens has been fully paid)

I anybody can tell me if Pentax Canada has it in inventory. Just investigate the truth on this matter.

Thanks to all
I'm in the market for one of these. How sweet was the deal? I don't know about the Canadian vendor, but if he's reputable, I'd say wait and see. Many times these expected waits are a lot less than anticipated.
Good luck!
Rodney
01-18-2019, 01:41 PM   #9
Pentaxian

I had to wait 6 weeks recently for the DFA* 50 f/1.4. I'd bought directly from the Australian Pentax web store during their 15% off sale. However, they had none in stock. It eventually came, a little later than previously advised, but all that frustration dissolves when the beautiful new lens arrives and you discover that is exceeds all expectations. The DFA 150-450 will be the same for you.

WARNING: My DFA 150-450 was full of dust straight from the factory! When I mounted it on my K1 and moved the FL in and out several times, I ended up with tens of dust particles on the sensor. A real pain to clean. So, before you mount it for the first time, I recommend taking a rocket blower to the rear of the lens (extended to 450mm), exercising the FL back and forth several times, and perhaps even use a vacuum cleaner. I haven't heard of others with this issue, but it happened to me, so it is a danger. The lens is utterly brilliant though.
01-18-2019, 01:57 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lazarustx Quote
I'm in the market for one of these. How sweet was the deal? I don't know about the Canadian vendor, but if he's reputable, I'd say wait and see. Many times these expected waits are a lot less than anticipated.
Good luck!
Rodney
A few weeks ago you could have gotten one new from B&H for about $1600 USD.
01-18-2019, 04:00 PM   #11
Pentaxian

I'd be contacting Consumer Affairs. In Canada if memory serves me well, you are not allowed to post an item as "on sale" if you don't have it in stock. You must prove that you have enough stock to meet the expected demand. Only if they already sold 5 or so would that even be legal.
Home - Office of Consumer Affairs
01-18-2019, 07:55 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I'd be contacting Consumer Affairs. In Canada if memory serves me well, you are not allowed to post an item as "on sale" if you don't have it in stock. You must prove that you have enough stock to meet the expected demand. Only if they already sold 5 or so would that even be legal.
Home - Office of Consumer Affairs
That's a terrible idea. I have picked up some great Pentax gear at great prices through sales, knowing they were not actually in stock and that I'd have to wait. That is far better than having the lens I want excised from the sale simply because it is temporarily out of stock.
01-19-2019, 02:02 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
That's a terrible idea. I have picked up some great Pentax gear at great prices through sales, knowing they were not actually in stock and that I'd have to wait. That is far better than having the lens I want excised from the sale simply because it is temporarily out of stock.
With respect, that only holds if one makes the purchase decision fully informed. In your case, you knew at the outset you'd have to wait and you made your decision knowing that. Others may have made a different decision. It really annoys me when suppliers don't indicate that they don't have stock. Pentax Australia are very good in that regard - customers know where they stand before they make a decision.

I do agree this lens is worth a wait, if necessary. It's a superb piece of equipment
01-19-2019, 07:19 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
And I had an experience shopping for a DA 15 when I found a store that beat the Henry's price by, $50 so I ordered from then. Henry's lists on their website if the lens was in stock. I called the other store and they told me they had one. Two weeks later they phoned and told me they couldn't get it. I looked at the Henry's website and they'd sold the two they had in stock. I still don't have a DA 15. I'm glad you get some good deals, but it's illegal for a reason.

Ricoh Canada has a warehouse somewhere in the Toronto region. Many dealers phone to see if they have an item, and if Ricoh has it in stock they claim they have one in stock. But if someone buys the one Ricoh had before they place their order, which some of them don't even do until the next day, then you're out of luck. It has to come from Japan, and sometimes as in the case of the DA 15, it was the sell off before the HDs came out, so Japan didn't have any either, they've cost you a purchase.

Your supplier, if the order came from Japan, didn't actually know he could get one. Japan could have come back and said "sorry, we're out of stock", as happened in my case.

There are good reasons for these laws. You got a deal. I got totally ripped off. Shopping shouldn't be a crap shoot.

On the plus side given the amount of time and how new that lens is, I'm wondering if that lens in still in production, and they had to wait in Japan for it to come off the assembly line. That kind of product movement has to be a good sign for Pentax. Keeping inventory costs money. Shipping direct from the factory has made Apple billions. But Apple makes your custom product the same day they receive the order and ship it the day after. 3 months is lunacy.

Last edited by normhead; 01-19-2019 at 08:02 AM.
02-01-2019, 02:48 PM   #15

Original Poster
150-450mm

I am still waiting for the lens (5 weeks)
Are they waiting for me to give up??