Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
01-26-2019, 09:47 PM - 8 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Nice bit of promotion for the K-1

Yesterday I went to an exhibition of Dutch painting in Ueno, Tokyo. It was structured around 9 Vermeer paintings that the organizers had managed to gather from galleries around the world. There were some other Dutch painting of the era too. To be honest, it was not the most enjoyable experience because of the sheer number of people swarming around the paintings, which are not that big anyway. Fortunately, I’d seen several of the pictures before in their original galleries. I believe the exhibition is moving up Osaka next.

???????

I didn’t know beforehand, but Ricoh was one of the sponsors. When we got to the gallery shop at the end, they had a projector (a Ricoh one of course) showing a video of how they had used their technology to produce the goods in the shop. The video highlighted the K-1’s Real Resolution (i.e. Pixel Shift) technology to capture the full color information in the images, explaining how it cancels out the Bayer pattern. The Pentax brand name was clearly shown, and their were some glamour shots of the camera itself. They also too the chance to show off their reprographics technology.

I saw quite a few visitors watching it while their partners were shopping. It struck me as being a rather smart bit of marketing, and a good context to show off Real Resolution. It was certainly better than just having their name printed on the back of the pamphlet as a sponsor.

01-27-2019, 01:21 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I've clicked on the link , but can't see anything Pentax. Is that a wrong link?

---------- Post added 27-01-19 at 09:23 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
they had a projector (a Ricoh one of course) showing a video of how they had used their technology to produce the goods in the shop. The video highlighted the K-1’s Real Resolution (i.e. Pixel Shift) technology to capture the full color information in the images, explaining how it cancels out the Bayer pattern. The Pentax brand name was clearly shown, and their were some glamour shots of the camera itself.
Ah sorry, I hadn't fully read your post. Now it's clear. Thanks for the post.
01-27-2019, 10:04 AM   #3

I use the K1 for fine art documenting... the Pixel shift is a selling point for clients, though I'd say that technical skills are more important than camera resolution. That's unless they plan to print large size... then you need the resolution and the technical skills/trouble-shooting ability.
01-28-2019, 04:25 AM   #4
Forum Member

Pixel shift clearly is useful when fine details are combined with certain type of colors. Especially with detailed and colorful textiles. It produces sharper details and cleaner colors. I'm shooting mostly flat pictures and old items. Results can be so sharp with a DFA*50 1.4 than minor camera aligment compared to the subject aligment is visible as uneven sharpness. It give me headaches and I know that macro lens flatter focus area would be better here, but I'm not going to pay it from my own pocket. My lens might be a bit decentered too because slight softness happens mostly on the left side.

01-28-2019, 05:42 AM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by Pikselisiirto Quote
Pixel shift clearly is useful when fine details are combined with certain type of colors. Especially with detailed and colorful textiles. It produces sharper details and cleaner colors. I'm shooting mostly flat pictures and old items. Results can be so sharp with a DFA*50 1.4 than minor camera aligment compared to the subject aligment is visible as uneven sharpness. It give me headaches and I know that macro lens flatter focus area would be better here, but I'm not going to pay it from my own pocket. My lens might be a bit decentered too because slight softness happens mostly on the left side.
What f-stop are you shooting with? Definitely worth checking out if it's decentered. You can shoot around f5.6 for maximum sharpness and less issues around alignment.

I have the new 50mm and the DFA 50mm macro, but I'd probably still choose to use the new 50mm for documentation work etc.