Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
02-02-2019, 03:29 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
K-1 II underexposing

I have had my K1-11 since early January. Have taken it out for 3 photoshoots and each time it has required at least a 3 stop over exposure for proper exposure. The exif data on all of the images in camera and on the downloaded images say +- -3. Exposure bias -3 EV. Do I need the camera looked at or is there a setting that is wrong in the camera? I cannot find anything in the menu. Thanks.

02-02-2019, 03:47 AM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is this with or without flash? I’ve experienced the same with bounce flash so far. Unless I press the green button in Av mode, the flash doesn’t expose the scene at all. This is in P-TTL mode. But without flash, the camera has been accurate with metering and exposure.

02-02-2019, 03:50 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Is this with or without flash? I’ve experienced the same with bounce flash so far. Unless I press the green button in Av mode, the flash doesn’t expose the scene at all. This is in P-TTL mode. But without flash, the camera has been accurate with metering and exposure.
No Ash, not flash.(No Flash Ash ) Have not used flash at all. All day time exposures, no night shots, some sunrise ones though.
02-02-2019, 03:59 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wombatwal Quote
The exif data on all of the images in camera and on the downloaded images say +- -3. Exposure bias -3 EV.
So you set exposure compensation to plus 3 ev and the exif says minus 3 ev ? Are you using manual exposure mode ?

02-02-2019, 04:05 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
So you set exposure compensation to plus 3 ev and the exif says minus 3 ev ? Are you using manual exposure mode ?
Yes, only manual. I shoot 3 stops over exposed but the exif says -3 EV. When I shoot at the correct exposure according to the exposure guide, the shots are at least 3 stops underexposed.
02-02-2019, 04:21 AM   #6
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

M mode, and you go by the camera’s metering, or are you going by sunny 16 rules? If the camera says you’re overexposing and yet the EXIF says -3EV, something is awry with the metering.

02-02-2019, 04:24 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I am confused. What is your exposure compensation set to on the camera ?

Be best if you post some examples

02-02-2019, 04:29 AM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

Yes, only manual. I shoot 3 stops over exposed but the exif says -3 EV. When I shoot at the correct exposure according to the exposure guide, the shots are at least 3 stops underexposed.
That's normal. In M mode, if you set the exposure compensation to -3ev (press the [+-] button next to ISO button on top of the grip, or use the smart dial to set exp. compensation), the exif will say -3ev and you'll have to overexpose with manual settings to +3ev in order to achieve proper exposure. The reason is that in M mode, the exposure meter indicates the exposure value relative to the exposure compensation being set. If you set exposure compensation to -3ev, the AE meter bar indicates 0ev relative to the -3ev you have set as exposure compensation value.
02-02-2019, 04:31 AM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
M mode, and you go by the camera’s metering, or are you going by sunny 16 rules? If the camera says you’re overexposing and yet the EXIF says -3EV, something is awry with the metering.
Yes, only by the camera's metering. I overexpose by 3 stops.
02-02-2019, 04:32 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That's normal. In M mode, if you set the exposure compensation to -3ev (press the [+-] button next to ISO button on top of the grip, or use the smart dial to set exp. compensation), the exif will say -3ev and you'll have to overexposure manually by +3ev. The reason is that in M mode, the exposure meter indicates the exposure value relative to the exposure compensation being set.
Yes , what he said. With EC at -3, in Manual mode the meter at a centre reading will give a 3 stop underexposure. You then counter this by overexposing by 3 stops. Solution is to reset the EC to 0
02-02-2019, 04:33 AM   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
I am confused. What is your exposure compensation set to on the camera ?

Be best if you post some examples
I only shoot in manual, there is no exposure compensation set. Unless there is some setting that I am unaware of.
02-02-2019, 04:37 AM   #12
Pentaxian

I only shoot in manual, there is no exposure compensation set. Unless there is some setting that I am unaware of.
If the exif says -3ev it is exposure compensation set by camera software. So unless your camera firmware is wrong version, it wouldn't be possible that exif indicates -3ev and actual camera exposure compensation is set to 0ev. I would check the firmware version of the K1 II and check the exposure compensation setting.
02-02-2019, 04:38 AM   #13
Forum Member

Original Poster
That's normal. In M mode, if you set the exposure compensation to -3ev (press the [+-] button next to ISO button on top of the grip, or use the smart dial to set exp. compensation), the exif will say -3ev and you'll have to overexpose with manual settings to +3ev in order to achieve proper exposure. The reason is that in M mode, the exposure meter indicates the exposure value relative to the exposure compensation being set. If you set exposure compensation to -3ev, the AE meter bar indicates 0ev relative to the -3ev you have set as exposure compensation value.
No, I don't press the exposure compensation button in manual at all. Ah, I have just checked this new dial and I had the exposure compensation set on. I have put it onto 0. So hopefully should be ok, will check tomorrow during daylight hours. Damn new fangled cameras
02-02-2019, 04:40 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Damn new fangled cameras
yes, when we get new cameras, it's good to try different settings and observe what the camera does, just to get familiar with how the camera behaves.
02-02-2019, 04:41 AM   #15
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think you’re onto something there. Relative, not absolute EV compensation determines the EXIF compared to the camera meter.