Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 31 Likes Search this Thread
02-10-2019, 02:44 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Oh no - did I challenge the K-1 weather seling too much?

I usually boast (in these forums and elsewhere) about the great weather sealing of my Pentax DSLRs (K-1 II, K-3, K-5) and in fact it is the main reason I am still with Pentax. On summer and winter hikes I can carry the camera for days or weeks in snow and rain without problem and usually with the Pentax HD D-FA 28-105/3,5-5,6 ED DC WR attached.

Now I just returned home from a trip to New Zealand with lots of outdoor activities. In the rain forest we had a couple of really wet days and I noticed at one instance my K-1 II would not turn off. When we were back indoors I turned it off the hard way by removing the battery. Back home (in Sweden) the nice winter weather has turned mild and during the weekend I have been on a Nordic ski tour for two days with temperatures around 0 deg C and heavy sleet. My K-1 II always hanging unprotected on my backpack strap and using a Peak design Capture clip.

Again I noticed that the camera would not turn off and back indoors I tried to diagnose the problem. When I switch the camera off nothing happens. If I then press the shutter, a picture is taken, the LCD goes black but the camera is not off - it goes to sleep mode. The only way to turn it off is to remove the battery. In such provoked sleep mode I let the camera rest and by itself it started to shoot multiple exposure! Had to remove the battery to make it stop!

I thought the K-1 II might had enough of rain so I opened all camera slots and removed the lens and let it dry for 12 hrs. After that the camera seems to operate as usual, and my conclusion is that the weather sealing might be slightly damaged, probably around the shutter/on-off button?

Did anyone else experience this? Could it be related to the mk II upgrade? Could I claim a warranty (the camera is 18 months old and the upgrade 6 months)? I need to trust the weather sealing!

Thanks

Last edited by marmitse; 02-10-2019 at 10:59 PM.
02-10-2019, 04:26 PM - 1 Like   #2

The weather sealing around moving parts like the shutter / power switch need not be damaged and moisture still able to get pushed past the seals. The parts after all have to move and could take some water with them. In 100% relative humidity environs such as a rain forest some moisture could enter the camera when zooming a lens, changing a lens or opening the battery and card slot covers.

You did the right action by opening the camera doors and letting it dry out. Personally I would give it longer and placed the body in a closed container with dehumidifier or desiccant (silica gel) packs, but that's just me.
02-10-2019, 04:30 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

It's not just rain it's relative humidity too. Dew can form on the contacts making it not function correctly.

QuoteQuote:
My K-1 II always hanging unprotected on my backpack strap and using a Peak design Capture clip.
To me this tells me you don't protect against temperature changes when lugging your camera around, which in both of your scenarios could have easily been the cause.

If you're really concerned you could have your camera looked at. I do think it's a bit odd it'd turn on but not off.
02-10-2019, 04:46 PM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

When coming in from outside and cold, do you put the camera in a plastic bag to help protect against condensation as it warms up? That would be worth trying to see if it helps. Also, you can put the camera in a bag with dry uncooked rice to help dry it out.

02-10-2019, 04:54 PM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Rice is not the best choice...

Data: Myth Debunked: Uncooked Rice Isn't the Best Way to Save Your Water-Damaged Phone « Smartphones :: Gadget Hacks
02-10-2019, 05:06 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Also remember that with a zoom like the DFA28-105 you should wipe water off the barrel before zooming in and out - it's not difficult to drag moisture through the seals with that action.

And don't forget that weather resistance is not a license to take unnecessary risks. It's always best to cover your gear when you're not using it constantly.
02-10-2019, 05:21 PM - 3 Likes   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
It's not waterproof, Marmitse … I wouldn't take risks unless you're insured the way pros do for their equipment.

'WR' stands for 'Weather Resistant'.

02-10-2019, 05:57 PM   #8
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Hi

What other equiptmentv have you used in the past that has also survived as long as your current gear in the same conditions .. ? I think that would answer your question.

Dave
02-10-2019, 08:58 PM   #9
Pentaxian

I usually try to avoid any steady accumulation of moisture. As was said, WR stands for weather resistant.
02-10-2019, 09:40 PM - 2 Likes   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by marmitse Quote
Again I noticed that the camera would not turn off and back indoors I tried to diagnose the problem. When I switch the camera off nothing happens. If I then press the shutter, a picture is taken, the LCD goes black but the camera is not off - it goes to sleep mode. The only way to turn it off is to remove the battery. In such provoked sleep mode I let the camera rest and by itself it started to shoot multiple exposure! Had to remove the battery to make it stop!

I
Same thing happened to me with my K-1 last year. Was photographing flowers in a botanical garden in a light rain. Took it home, dryed it out. After a thorough drying, never had any problems again. These days, I treat my K-1 as if it has no weather seals as I don't want it to happen again.
02-10-2019, 11:05 PM - 1 Like   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
When coming in from outside and cold, do you put the camera in a plastic bag to help protect against condensation as it warms up? That would be worth trying to see if it helps. Also, you can put the camera in a bag with dry uncooked rice to help dry it out.
Thanks, I know this procedure to prevent condensation, but have never used it and living in the Nordics where conditions vary quite a bit I never had any problems from just going in or out. The problems I described above happened outdoors and after a prolonged time (several hours) in wet conditions.

---------- Post added 02-11-19 at 07:19 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
It's not waterproof, Marmitse … I wouldn't take risks unless you're insured the way pros do for their equipment.

'WR' stands for 'Weather Resistant'.
I have always treated my Pentax cameras as tanks. They have been beaten and tossed around and always responded by delivering great pictures. But maybe it is time to stop seeing them as work horses and to treat them more like the queens they are?

And yes - I have tried to find a decent underwater housing for the K-3 or K-1, for scuba diving, without success. Tried one of those bag types but it was too awkward.

---------- Post added 02-11-19 at 07:22 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
Hi

What other equiptmentv have you used in the past that has also survived as long as your current gear in the same conditions .. ? I think that would answer your question.

Dave
Actually my K-3 never ever complained for being soaked for days or even weeks. It finally gave in when I managed to smash the viewfinder.

I guess the conclusion after reading all your helpful replies is that I need to take more care of my precious ones!

Last edited by marmitse; 02-10-2019 at 11:27 PM.
02-11-2019, 01:30 AM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

And yes - I have tried to find a decent underwater housing for the K-3 or K-1, for scuba diving, without success. Tried one of those bag types but it was too awkward.
Ikelite did make one for the K5/k7. If you could find one new old stock that'd be an option albeit for an older camera.

And come to think of it this problem could be related to the upgrade itself. If reassembly wasn't done right weather sealing could have been compromised.
02-11-2019, 03:34 AM - 1 Like   #13
Unregistered User

I also always keep it hanging out in rain, sleek, snow and what not. Never had any grave problems due to moisture. It may be a måndagsexemplar. Also, do you have the latest firmware?

02-11-2019, 05:15 AM   #14
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tjompen1968 Quote
Also, do you have the latest firmware?
Yes, I am on v 1.02. Nice video!
02-11-2019, 06:09 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks, I know this procedure to prevent condensation, but have never used it and living in the Nordics where conditions vary quite a bit I never had any problems from just going in or out. The problems I described above happened outdoors and after a prolonged time (several hours) in wet conditions.

---------- Post added 02-11-19 at 07:19 AM ----------

I have always treated my Pentax cameras as tanks. They have been beaten and tossed around and always responded by delivering great pictures. But maybe it is time to stop seeing them as work horses and to treat them more like the queens they are?

---------- Post added 02-11-19 at 07:22 AM ----------

Actually my K-3 never ever complained for being soaked for days or even weeks. It finally gave in when I managed to smash the viewfinder.

I guess the conclusion after reading all your helpful replies is that I need to take more care of my precious ones!
Unlike phones, no camera with interchangeable lenses appears to be rated with any meaningful water resistant scale. This means that warranty repairs are null with water intrusion. I treat it as a nice extra bit of protection that could fail at any minute. Put another way, I'm happy it is there but I try to avoid
Stressing it.