Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-11-2019, 07:07 AM   #16
Unregistered User

I guess the warranty is treated different depending on where you live. In the Nordic countries I think they are more prone to fix a camera with water damage, honoring the commersials that clearly states that Pentax gear is "water proof".

Pentax Announces the K-30: A Weather-Sealed Mid-Level DSLR

02-11-2019, 07:44 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Uhm... "out in the open" in the article means (he admits it) "21°C, relative humidity 40%"... no wonder! I wish my "out in the open" was like his "out in the open"... A couple of days ago we had 5°C - 85% outdoors, and like 16°C - 65% indoors...
40% is lip-cracking dry.

Silica gel, he doesn't even specify "sealed" or "regenerated", he just writes "lying around". If people use packet of silica gel "lying around", chances are they're already saturated.

Same thing happens if they've been "regenerated" in a gas oven (CH4 + 2O2 = CO2 + 2H2O).

Also, he used 100g of each substance, and then he adds "Increasing the amount of drying agent could help dry out the smartphone better."

Last edited by MarkJerling; 02-11-2019 at 07:41 PM. Reason: Masked profanity removed.
02-11-2019, 09:04 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
Uhm... "out in the open" in the article means (he admits it) "21°C, relative humidity 40%"... no wonder! I wish my "out in the open" was like his "out in the open"... A couple of days ago we had 5°C - 85% outdoors, and like 16°C - 65% indoors...
40% is lip-cracking dry.

Silica gel, he doesn't even specify "sealed" or "regenerated", he just writes "lying around". If people use packet of silica gel "lying around", chances are they're already saturated.

Same thing happens if they've been "regenerated" in a gas oven (CH4 + 2O2 = CO2 + 2H2O).

Also, he used 100g of each substance, and then he adds "Increasing the amount of drying agent could help dry out the smartphone better."
Of course. But rice underperformex everything else. Use what you can find that did better such as instant rice or cous cous. That underperformance is undeniable and this is just the first link I could post that showed this. I have found very little to show rice works well other than anecdotally relayed stories. Many of those may have done fine in dry ambient air.

I live in a very humid part of the world and laughed at 40% humidity myself. I only see that in winter due to forced air heating. Even then it isn't always so dry.

Last edited by MarkJerling; 02-11-2019 at 07:42 PM. Reason: Masked profanity removed in quote.
02-11-2019, 06:15 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Good to know - thanks, but the good thing about rice, is almost everyone has some flavor available as an instant hands on resource to start the process.

02-11-2019, 07:27 PM - 1 Like   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I had similar problems and drying days ended it. Rice is a poor substitute for dry air circulation.
02-12-2019, 03:40 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Of course. But rice underperformex everything else. Use what you can find that did better such as instant rice or cous cous. That underperformance is undeniable and this is just the first link I could post that showed this. I have found very little to show rice works well other than anecdotally relayed stories. Many of those may have done fine in dry ambient air.

I live in a very humid part of the world and laughed at 40% humidity myself. I only see that in winter due to forced air heating. Even then it isn't always so dry.
Yeah, my takeaway(s) as well
02-12-2019, 07:03 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
I had similar problems and drying days ended it. Rice is a poor substitute for dry air circulation.
Agree. This is where the "warm" setting of your oven is tempting. Just got to be sure it really doesn't get too warm. What's the max safe temperature from something like this?

02-12-2019, 07:24 AM   #23
Pentaxian

No oven for me. I don't know what it can take but I wouldn't go much beyond the highest operating temp spec. That might just be for the battery or heat dissipation but maybe not.
02-12-2019, 09:08 AM - 1 Like   #24
Veteran Member

This is where an extended Warranty for drops and spills and accidental damage may come in ?
Even though our cameras are advertised as Weather Resistant , I always give them the full weatherproof treatment with rain hoods and such during inclement weather.
Why chance it ?
Sounds like quite possibly you did challenge the weatherproofing and quite frankly....You Lost !
02-12-2019, 07:25 PM - 1 Like   #25
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Canon, Nikon, Fuji, Olympus, Panasonic, Sony, etc ... all toe the same line. The fine print says sand or water getting in voids the warranty, no allowance made otherwise. There's probably a little tag inside that changes colour when exposed to water so that the repairman knows the real reason he's been confronted by a camera that supposedly 'just didn't start up' one day.

Here for future reference, is an explanation of standards:

Water Proof, Water Resistant, and IPX - What Does It All Mean? - Outdoor Tech Blog

Look for the IPX rating on products. Not many have one.
02-12-2019, 07:58 PM - 1 Like   #26
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tjompen1968 Quote
honoring the commersials that clearly states that Pentax gear is "water proof".
Are these commercials something unique to the Nordic countries? The only Pentax products I have ever seen advertised as waterproof have been WG-series compact cameras. All current-model Pentax dSLRs are advertised as "Weather Resistant" or "All Weather" (dust-proof + weather resistant). Neither feature claims compliance to any standard of time or pressure for seal performance.

Steve
02-12-2019, 11:02 PM   #27
Forum Member

Original Poster
I guess the warranty is treated different depending on where you live. In the Nordic countries I think they are more prone to fix a camera with water damage, honoring the commersials that clearly states that Pentax gear is "water proof".
Pentax Announces the K-30: A Weather-Sealed Mid-Level DSLR
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Are these commercials something unique to the Nordic countries? The only Pentax products I have ever seen advertised as waterproof have been WG-series compact cameras. All current-model Pentax dSLRs are advertised as "Weather Resistant" or "All Weather" (dust-proof + weather resistant). Neither feature claims compliance to any standard of time or pressure for seal performance.
Steve
QuoteOriginally posted by Ronald Oakes Quote
This is where an extended Warranty for drops and spills and accidental damage may come in ?
Even though our cameras are advertised as Weather Resistant , I always give them the full weatherproof treatment with rain hoods and such during inclement weather.
Why chance it ?
Sounds like quite possibly you did challenge the weatherproofing and quite frankly....You Lost !
OK, OK - I lost (I also noticed that the external light button next to the shutter stopped responding, even after drying the camera) and I have contacted our Nordic repair center. However I do put my hopes to what Tjompen1968 writes and that they will have a generous policy. I photograph the great outdoors all year around Nature - Contextphoto and even if it is not action sports a given photo moment could be gone in seconds unless the camera is ready. I have a rain hood but it takes too long to open so a rarely use it. I have been on Pentax since my first MX in the 1980´s and I seriously considered to change to Sony mirrorless before buying the K-1. The final decision point was the superior weather sealing of the Pentax, which has proved itself on my previous Pentax DSLRs over and over again.

Stay safe - and dry out there
02-13-2019, 11:18 AM   #28
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote

Steve
I don´t know. We have very strong customer protection in Sweden. Some things does not need to be written down if there is a general consensus to what is expected.

---------- Post added 02-13-19 at 07:20 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by marmitse Quote
OK, OK - I lost (I also noticed that the external light button next to the shutter stopped responding, even after drying the camera) and I have contacted our Nordic repair center. However I do put my hopes to what Tjompen1968 writes and that they will have a generous policy. I photograph the great outdoors all year around Nature - Contextphoto and even if it is not action sports a given photo moment could be gone in seconds unless the camera is ready. I have a rain hood but it takes too long to open so a rarely use it. I have been on Pentax since my first MX in the 1980´s and I seriously considered to change to Sony mirrorless before buying the K-1. The final decision point was the superior weather sealing of the Pentax, which has proved itself on my previous Pentax DSLRs over and over again.

Stay safe - and dry out there
You always have your "drulleförsäkring" as a last resort but I really hope they still do the right thing.

Last edited by Unregistered User; 02-13-2019 at 11:23 AM.
02-13-2019, 11:48 AM   #29
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

I don´t know. We have very strong customer protection in Sweden. Some things does not need to be written down if there is a general consensus to what is expected.
Yes, this is all up to the distributor, who must pay all local taxes and comply with local laws.

If they need to be more generous than say, the United States, you probably pay more than you would from Amazon. People talk about how expensive it is to buy items in the EU, well, that's part of it, how much more expensive it is to do business.

And they would reject warranty obligations on an imported product, too, fixing someone else's sale.

Last edited by clackers; 02-13-2019 at 12:51 PM.
02-13-2019, 11:56 AM   #30
Veteran Member

For what this is worth....a couple years ago I dropped my K-3 in the lake with a Takumar lens on it ! Immediately snatched it up , shook the water of , changed the lens , and it never missed a beat....ever !