Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-23-2019, 01:21 PM   #1

Pentax K1 II lens in crop mode - is it good or bad?

I read thread about crop on K1. After that I start intersting about how crop mode lens will be usefull or not with K1 II.

1. Is a change to noise in comparision to K3 II which I have?
2. How much IQ is affected?
3. For what it can be use in reality?

For me it is marketing thing for people who have a lot of APS-C lens and it is good that Pentax get them ability to use their lens, but what for other? For me it is not usefull, because glass optimilised for APS-C get worst resolution to part of sensor, but maybe I am wrong. What do you think?

02-23-2019, 01:50 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pxt Quote
because glass optimilised for APS-C get worst resolution to part of sensor, but maybe I am wrong. What do you think?
It is a crop of the FF frame and nothing more and equivalent to a photo taken on a K-5IIs (similar pixel pitch) if that camera had been blessed with the so-called accelerator. This is true regardless of whether the lens was designed for FF or APS-C. In regards to noise, your K-3II is probably noisier, though with that being balanced by higher resolution when compared to the K-1 in crop mode.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 02-23-2019 at 01:52 PM. Reason: clarity
02-23-2019, 01:51 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I do disagree....The elements of the 15.6mp crop are well done. In fact, better than the K-5ii s at a similar resolution due to the IQ of the K-1 ii.

The K-3 ii at times, for me produces off focus photos, and truth be told, its focusing is slow compared to the K-1 or KP. It is still great at landscaping, but I still think the APS-c sweet spot is about 16mp...I love the imaging from my former K-50 and my current K-5ii. The larger pixels bring in more light and the low light capabilities are noticable.

Frankly, the APS-c lenses on my K-1 make it much lighter and allows me to take a 300mm APS-c to 450mm crop on the K-1--that is a real advantage. A 450 FF lens would force me to use a monopod where a lighter APS-c lens in crop mode will give me what I need in the field.
02-23-2019, 01:58 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes its is partly a marketing benefit but I do think it might help some people transition.

To start with I briefly used it for some lenses (ultra wide which did not have FF coverage for), and it worked just fine. For me I transitioned from a K-5 and so the image quality was slightly better on the K-1 (given that the K-1 has no AA filter). So this makes the K-1 crop mode similar IQ to say the K-5 IIs. However the K-3 will have better resolution than the K-1 in crop (although from the the results I have seen there may be a small advantage to K-1 crop at high ISO settings).

But these days I rarely use crop lenses, as I have sufficient FF coverage. And even if do use a crop lens (for example I was using the DA 55-300 for a while there), I don't bother using crop mode - as most crop lenses actually cover more of the frame than crop mode and its easy to crop in PP. In actual fact I have not used crop mode in the last year.

02-23-2019, 02:02 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kiwi_jono Quote
Yes its is partly a marketing benefit but I do think it might help some people transition.

To start with I briefly used it for some lenses (ultra wide which did not have FF coverage for), and it worked just fine. For me I transitioned from a K-5 and so the image quality was slightly better on the K-1 (given that the K-1 has no AA filter). So this makes the K-1 crop mode similar IQ to say the K-5 IIs. However the K-3 will have better resolution than the K-1 in crop (although from the the results I have seen there may be a small advantage to K-1 crop at high ISO settings).

But these days I rarely use crop lenses, as I have sufficient FF coverage. And even if do use a crop lens (for example I was using the DA 55-300 for a while there), I don't bother using crop mode - as most crop lenses actually cover more of the frame than crop mode and its easy to crop in PP. In actual fact I have not used crop mode in the last year.
Great point: I was shooting my K-1 yesterday and put on the 40mm DA XS pancake lens. The K-1 looked funny but it held a full frame? have you had that experience? the result was outstanding.
02-23-2019, 02:25 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Merv-O Quote
Great point: I was shooting my K-1 yesterday and put on the 40mm DA XS pancake lens. The K-1 looked funny but it held a full frame? have you had that experience? the result was outstanding.
Here's a sample pic I shot at home testing this uncropped DA lens on K-1 series. Unretouched JPEG with K-1 and the 40mm DA XS lens....no deep vignetting or barreling....
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
02-23-2019, 03:10 PM   #7
pxt

Original Poster
After looking your photo I got crazy idea how crop mode can change my new type 100 WR and 77 limited lenses. I am thinking that crop mode can be usefull on the field as software teleconverter as you use it Merv-O.

02-23-2019, 03:12 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Here's a sample pic I shot at home testing this uncropped DA lens on K-1 series. Unretouched JPEG with K-1 and the 40mm DA XS lens....no deep vignetting or barreling....
amaizing
02-23-2019, 04:03 PM - 2 Likes   #9
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It's not just crop mode - The K-1II can crop like crazy!

Here's the original shot:

Bit of a crop: (Lightroom)

Bit more!

And more again!
02-23-2019, 04:27 PM - 1 Like   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Absolutely. I have used 40 XS myself - looks like there is no lens fitted - just body cap! On mine I seem to remember corners a bit soft but otherwise works Ok.

Also from personal experience:
* DA 70 is reasonably usable. Corners vignette a bit much and are softer but can still take great photos.
* DA 55 - 300. Usable from about 80mm (from memory) to 300. Again corners lag a bit but in general works well.
02-23-2019, 04:46 PM   #11
Pentaxian

1. Is a change to noise in comparision to K3 II which I have?2. How much IQ is affected?3. For what it can be use in reality?
A cropped K-1 or K-1ii, compared to your K-3ii, will IMO show a small improvement in noise while sacrificing a little less resolution. The numeric difference going from 24mp K-3 to 15mp crop K-1 is not as significant as it appears; a 300dpi K-3 print becomes around 240dpi on the K-1. You won't notice it at most viewing sizes.

My uses for crop mode (in software because I use raw DNG rather than JPG) are with 2 particular lenses, when saving weight and bag space justifies compromises in image quality.

1) DA 55-300. Full frame telephotos are heavy so I only bring them when I plan to photograph wildlife or other specific subjects. The 55-300 is compact enough to stick into a small bag when I want to travel lightly.

2) DA 15 Limited. This lens works well in 4:3 and also 1:1 crop mode. Like the DA 55-300, I'll take the DA 15 if I don't expect to need a lens like the heavy DFA 15-30, but want flexibility in case a wide angle opportunity unexpectedly pops up.
02-23-2019, 05:01 PM - 1 Like   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
After looking your photo I got crazy idea how crop mode can change my new type 100 WR and 77 limited lenses. I am thinking that crop mode can be usefull on the field as software teleconverter as you use it Merv-O.
Just use FF mode and crop the picture on your computer. Same result.
02-23-2019, 07:47 PM   #13
Pentaxian

I was shooting my K-1 yesterday and put on the 40mm DA XS pancake lens. The K-1 looked funny but it held a full frame? have you had that experience? the result was outstanding.
I love it!! did a few shots the other day with the 40XS on the K-1.....fantastic!

also took the da 21ltd for a ride....the image circle looks so weird but cropping works so no reason to change from FF to crop

have no other DA but the kit zooms but have the FA kit versions so have not tried that

good bad? reckon I do not know since I have not tried it.....just taking up space....the 40XS is what got me to a babbling
02-23-2019, 07:58 PM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Yeah, this is well known, Merv. I also have no problems shootinh with the DA35, DA50, DA*55 and DA70Ltd in FF mode.

02-23-2019, 08:03 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Aaron28 Quote
I love it!! did a few shots the other day with the 40XS on the K-1.....fantastic!

also took the da 21ltd for a ride....the image circle looks so weird but cropping works so no reason to change from FF to crop

have no other DA but the kit zooms but have the FA kit versions so have not tried that

good bad? reckon I do not know since I have not tried it.....just taking up space....the 40XS is what got me to a babbling

I know: that 40mm DA f2.8 lens makes any Pentax body a small virtual mirrorless. Plus the sharpness is quite good. What a great lens for the $$$. Even picked up a Promaster 27mm UV filter to protect the lens if I ever lose the quarter sized cap.