Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-28-2019, 07:21 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
K1 how much of the sensor is used in video mode?

hi all,

I'm thinking about buying moondog labs 1.33x anamorphic lens with the 37mm lens mount. For the iPhone, or I can get a dedicated clip version for my particular iphone.

now i use some stepdown rings to 37mm on some of my full frame lenses already usually with a 37 - 30.5 on top (lets me use a film canister top as a lens cap. it works pretty well on 50mm + and my 70- 210mm.

Then I saw this

This is on a panasonic gh5 and I kinda have a panasonic G5 and also a Pentax K5 .

So that got me wondering how much of the K1, K5 image circle is used?

I do have a few other odd bits like the panagor macro adapter an m42 helical mount various tubes...

So maybe i could use this lens with the k1, k5, or G5 maybe?

I want the lens for my iphone 7 plus anyway but its a choice between the 37mm version or a dedicated clip version for the phone. The 37mm version may need a shim to stop it tilting on the phone. Both models are the same price...

Has anyone tried this? Or will I be the first?

I guess for stills i can crop away but i do fancy trying some anamorphic video footage with my other cameras

So am I crazy?

02-28-2019, 07:45 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax K-1 Review - Video Mode | PentaxForums.com Reviews Look down the page for Video Crop. It looks like a crop that is larger than the APSC crop but I'm not certain of the exact crop.

K-5 video info here: Pentax K-5 Review - Video Not sure about the crop.
02-28-2019, 08:49 AM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by blackest Quote
So that got me wondering how much of the K1, K5 image circle is used?
What you see in the rear LCD is output from the portion of the sensor used. Whether the vignette from this auxiliary lens will be excessive is another matter.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 02-28-2019 at 08:58 AM.
02-28-2019, 09:28 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
What you see in the rear LCD is output from the portion of the sensor used. Whether the vignette from this auxiliary lens will be excessive is another matter.

Steve
Will see, soon enough It is ordered and heading from New York to Ireland. I'm hoping I get the orientation right
The thing that gives me some hope is the gh5 managed it and i know the 50mm lens on the k1 is quite happy looking through a 30.5mm hole

02-28-2019, 09:48 AM   #5

I had thought about to buy a moondog or moment anamorphic lens. However, this kind of lens is only better at lighting. The anamorphic lens can make a light looks like a cinematic effect. However, if you shoot a low light area such as indoor or at night, the noise would be more than you expected. If you when to reduce noise, the only way is underexposure. Moreover, the effect only fit a specific angle. If you want a cinematic resolution such as 2.39:1, then you could use Final Cut Pro or Premiere to change the resolution such as 1980*816 or 1980*803.

Regarding the Pentax video mode. It is probably okay when the video's speed you set at 100% or above. On the contrary, the slow motion would have several problems such as a bright red color and a bright color on a plastic material.
02-28-2019, 11:23 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Will see, soon enough It is ordered and heading from New York to Ireland. I'm hoping I get the orientation right
The thing that gives me some hope is the gh5 managed it and i know the 50mm lens on the k1 is quite happy looking through a 30.5mm hole
I'm not following this. The GH5 uses an m43 sensor that is only 21 x 17mm roughly vs. 36 x 24 - the size of the hole in front is less important than the shape/coverage of the complete lens system. As an example putting a Raynox on some zooms will massively vignette on even APSC whereas similar focal length lenses can be used with the Raynox on Full Frame. The optical design is going to interact - so make sure you test more than one lens combo.
02-28-2019, 01:41 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I'm not following this. The GH5 uses an m43 sensor that is only 21 x 17mm roughly vs. 36 x 24 - the size of the hole in front is less important than the shape/coverage of the complete lens system. As an example putting a Raynox on some zooms will massively vignette on even APSC whereas similar focal length lenses can be used with the Raynox on Full Frame. The optical design is going to interact - so make sure you test more than one lens combo.
It may not work on the K1 at all, i was surprised that the GH5 works as its a much bigger sensor than the iphone.

There is actually 2 versions of the 37mm mount moondog lens one is the 5141 (gen1) and the other is the 5241 (gen 2) They increased the aperture size on the gen2. I've just corrected my order to the gen2. The video in the thread was shot with the gen 1 lens.

I think with my Panasonic it uses a narrower field of view when shooting video. I don't know if the k1 or k5 do similar or if the vignette will be too much. I should have it in a week or 2 and see if it will be any use on larger sensors.

Kind of a shame the 2 pentax cameras don't do 4k video as i'd have more to crop.

Anyway it's coming now so , we will see. Birders often crop heavily so hopefully there will be something usable ... I've hacked enlarger lenses on to pentax bodys and they worked quite well.

I will report back whatever the outcome. is it possible to shoot video in crop mode on the k1?
02-28-2019, 02:26 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

It may not work on the K1 at all, i was surprised that the GH5 works as its a much bigger sensor than the iphone.
I guess you will find out, eh?

BTW...you are clear what this lens does, right? Videos take with it will require special treatment in PP (will compromise quality) or when projected ($$$$) to normalize proportions.

Steve

02-28-2019, 02:44 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I saw something showing it working with the EM-1 and an olympus lens:
02-28-2019, 02:55 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I guess you will find out, eh?

BTW...you are clear what this lens does, right? Videos take with it will require special treatment in PP (will compromise quality) or when projected ($$$$) to normalize proportions.

Steve
Yes I have an app filmic pro (and filmic remote) it handles the desqueeze on the iphone.
I've been lusting after an anamorphic lens for a long time.

For full size cameras the price is just ,, too high. I love the cinematic look and probably will only get it on the iphone.

I just got a Zhiyon Smooth 4 today

This is going to be fun.
02-28-2019, 02:56 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

While it didn't vignette on the Oly em-1 and 45 f/1.8 it was very poor optical quality other than very close up shots. You could see visual degradation in the shots. I would expect that using a wider angle lens and then cropping to the final format would provide better results than this. The purpose of this format initially was to squeeze more out of narrow filmstock like 35mm for use on widescreen projections. With modern high capacity digital sensors - just crop unless you want the strange bokeh and odd flare.
03-01-2019, 03:17 AM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
While it didn't vignette on the Oly em-1 and 45 f/1.8 it was very poor optical quality other than very close up shots. You could see visual degradation in the shots. I would expect that using a wider angle lens and then cropping to the final format would provide better results than this. The purpose of this format initially was to squeeze more out of narrow filmstock like 35mm for use on widescreen projections. With modern high capacity digital sensors - just crop unless you want the strange bokeh and odd flare.
The strange bokeh and odd flare , even the distortion are all part of what makes anamorphic lenses special. They really are a story telling lens.
Some of the best stories you have seen were filmed using an anamorphic lens

I just tried movie mode on the K1 you can set an aps-c crop for video recording, so recording isn't forced to be over the full frame.