Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
03-30-2019, 06:49 AM   #16

QuoteOriginally posted by jtstgeorge Quote
Just looking for advice before I envest in more software?
Although I have yet to try any HDR files in RT here is what the rawpedia site says about them: Support for reading and tone-mapping 16-bit, 24-bit and 32-bit floating-point HDR images in the DNG format,

03-30-2019, 11:11 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eccs19 Quote
Not sure if anyone would be interested, but currently (at least in Canada) Aurora HDR 2018 is free. See link below.

Aurora HDR 2019 - HDR Software - Best HDR Photo Editor for Mac & PC | Skylum
In the US it's a free 14 day trial, $99 to purchase. When I went to their website using the link above it wasn't obvious that it was a free trial and not a free program, or perhaps I missed that. So I'm trying it for 14 days. I already have at least 3 ways of doing HDR merges so it's doubtful I'll keep Aurora but one never knows without a trial.
04-02-2019, 05:48 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I asked Photomatix to know if they will support HDR DNG files with a sample file :
QuoteQuote:
Hello,
Have you any plan to support Pentax K-1 and K-1ii HDR raw files (DNG format) ?
Here you can find a sample file (123 MB) : https://themotec1.netfirms.com/Users/Hosted/cdn/k1/samplephotos/IMGP0468.DNG
Thanks in advance,
Frederic
Here is the answer :
QuoteOriginally posted by Photomatix:
Hello Frederic,

Thank you for using Photomatix Pro and for sending the sample file. This is an interesting format, and we are having a hard time finding a clear answer to one very important detail about it; it is not clear if the HDR DNG file is an unprocessed 32-bit file, or if the camera does some kind of tonemapping to it.

If the camera is doing any tonemapping to it, processing the DNG in Photomatix Pro would not be likely to give good results, since you would be "doubling" the effect on it. There would not really be any point in that case.

If it is an unprocessed 32-bit HDR file, it may be possible to add support for it, though in this case I believe only Tonemapping would be available; in order to offer Exposure Fusion Photomatix Pro needs to merge the bracketed photos itself so it has all the information about each exposure.

With all this in mind, it sounds like the best workflow is to separate the HDR DNG into each individual bracket and load those into Photomatix Pro so you have the most options. From what I read, the Pentax utility software should be able to separate the DNG into individual exposures.

Best regards,
Katie
Photomatix Support Team