Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
03-13-2019, 04:20 PM   #1

K-1 Upgrade Concern

I have not upgraded the K-1 firmware from ver 1.0 since I bought the camera.

I am a bit trepidatious about updating as the instructions on the Ricoh site say to make certain a full battery is in place before starting (no problem) and that if the "camera turns off due to lack of battery power, the camera will become inoperable. If this happens, a charge will be made for repairs even if within the warranty period (problem)".

If I use a full battery, should I be concerned; in other words, has anyone had a battery fail during upgrade?

Thank you.

03-13-2019, 04:30 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have performed several firmware updates on my K-5 but have not yet done so on my K-1. I would have no hesitation doing so, provided I'm using a fully charged and healthy battery to do so.

There have, over the years, been several cases of cameras bricked due to firmware updating going wrong, but, with few exceptions, these occured when the instructions were not followed. There is, therefore, a minor risk with every firmware update, but so minor as to not prevent me from doing it.

Good luck!
03-13-2019, 04:33 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

If your battery isn't failing (i.e. old) and fully charged, you should be more than fine. The update doesn't take long.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-13-2019, 04:36 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Charge your battery and just do it. Pentax wants you to update the firmware, just do it.

03-13-2019, 04:38 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cpoteet Quote
If I use a full battery, should I be concerned; in other words, has anyone had a battery fail during upgrade?
Don't worry too much about it. The upgrade process takes only about 2 minutes, not much chance of anything going wrong. And the camera won't let you do the firmware install if the battery doesn't have enough charge. So it's a very low risk procedure if you start with a full battery and follow the instructions.

I've done firmware upgrades several times now for K-1, same amount of times for K-5, K-3, and firmware upgrades for other cameras, plus other devices like flashes, lens accessories, GPS tools etc. Never had the procedure cause any damage.
03-13-2019, 04:46 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Don't worry too much about it. The upgrade process takes only about 2 minutes, not much chance of anything going wrong. And the camera won't let you do the firmware install if the battery doesn't have enough charge. So it's a very low risk procedure if you start with a full battery and follow the instructions.

I've done firmware upgrades several times now for K-1, same amount of times for K-5, K-3, and firmware upgrades for other cameras, plus other devices like flashes, lens accessories, GPS tools etc. Never had the procedure cause any damage.
Just to emphasize, rawr has said it much better than I could.
03-13-2019, 05:09 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Charge your battery and upgrade. You get the benefits of Electronic Shutter and other tweaks too.

03-13-2019, 05:24 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Another confidence vote. If you're still truly paranoid, then just make sure it's a fully charged Pentax branded battery. And as already mentioned, the camera actually does a check on the battery to make sure it's happy. Follow the directions, and you'll be fine.
03-13-2019, 05:53 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
Another confidence vote. If you're still truly paranoid, then just make sure it's a fully charged Pentax branded battery. And as already mentioned, the camera actually does a check on the battery to make sure it's happy. Follow the directions, and you'll be fine.
Thanks to all, I shall go forth and upgrade.
03-13-2019, 06:08 PM - 3 Likes   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There probably is no one on this planet more technologically challenged than yours truly. I'm over 60 years old and the last 15 years I spent farming. First DSLR I bought was the K-50 in 2015. DECEMBER of 2015. Bought my first "smart" phone two years ago. A MOTOROLA!!! My K -1 upgrade went smoothly. You can do this.
03-13-2019, 06:21 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cpoteet Quote
Thanks to all, I shall go forth and upgrade.
For additional re-assurance, PentaxForums have a firmware update guide with a Youtube video on updating Pentax firmware step-by-step. The basics are much the same for K-1 as previous Pentaxes:

03-13-2019, 09:02 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have an AC Adapter for my K-1 and will probably use that the next time I update (out of an abundance of caution). That said, I’ve updated my K-x, my K-30, and my K-1 without issue ever.
03-13-2019, 09:45 PM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lithedreamer Quote
I have an AC Adapter for my K-1 and will probably use that the next time I update (out of an abundance of caution).
Wouldn't the power supply from a fully-charged battery be smoother and more reliable than that from the mains supply?

Philip
03-13-2019, 10:09 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I've done many firmware updates, some not even on a full battery. It's quick and easy. Wouldn't fret at all.
03-13-2019, 10:09 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MrB1 Quote
Wouldn't the power supply from a fully-charged battery be smoother and more reliable than that from the mains supply?

Philip
As I recall, it just switches back to battery power if the AC adapter is unplugged.