Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-10-2019, 08:25 AM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
Those slip-in filters might also help your ∞-focus issues. Assuming they are made of glass, they will reduce the ∞-focus distance by 1/3 the thickness of the filter.
So if a lens focuses to infinity exactly at its focus stop, the clip in filter will cause it to reach infinity slightly before the stop? Does this also work for a glass filter screwed into the front of the lens?

Asking because a friend's 300 mm would focus to infinity. Put a certain glass uv filter on and the split image focusing aid would no longer align. The lens couldn't reach infinity. This seems backwards of the clip in filter behavior.
Thanks,
barondla

11-10-2019, 08:39 AM - 1 Like   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
So if a lens focuses to infinity exactly at its focus stop, the clip in filter will cause it to reach infinity slightly before the stop? Does this also work for a glass filter screwed into the front of the lens?

Asking because a friend's 300 mm would focus to infinity. Put a certain glass uv filter on and the split image focusing aid would no longer align. The lens couldn't reach infinity. This seems backwards of the clip in filter behavior.
Thanks,
barondla
If the filter is mounted between the lens and the subject, the distance-shift is between the lens and the subject. If you focus on a nearby object and then put a 2-mm-thick filter, the plane of focus at the subject will shift by 0.67mm toward the lens. That wouldn't affect ∞-focus, though because ∞ minus 0.67 mm is still ∞.

Last edited by photoptimist; 05-14-2020 at 09:18 AM. Reason: typos
11-10-2019, 02:13 PM - 4 Likes   #33
Veteran Member

Original Poster
This thing pulls out quite a Disneyland with no filters. Here is a vertical panorama with Samyang 24mm T/S.

The Samyang itself is a bit of a flare gun
11-10-2019, 11:05 PM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MJKoski Quote
This thing pulls out quite a Disneyland with no filters. Here is a vertical panorama with Samyang 24mm T/S.

The Samyang itself is a bit of a flare gun
ss

Super image! Very dynamic subject and composition. Can't wait to see more results.
Thanks for sharing,
barondla

11-29-2019, 01:29 AM - 1 Like   #35
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Just ordered: The IRchrome Infrared Photography Filter - Our Digital Version of Kodak Aerochrome - Kolari Vision

77mm size. Red trees incoming :O
12-05-2019, 09:28 AM - 1 Like   #36
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I wrote earlier about infinity focusing problems. They are real with my K-1 MK2 and they were there already before the modification with Zeiss 50MP. Long story short, after receiving TWO 15-30mm D-FA zooms which were decentered badly, I decided to get my old Irix 15mm lens back. Today I received the lens from the dealer with which I swapped the lenses.

Here are two 100% crops from image center taken from apartment window before and after a little lens modification:

1. Unmodified Irix lens, focused as far as it goes towards infinity @ f/4:

2. I opened the lens and took out a spacer. Now it reaches infinity @ f/2.4 and goes even BEYOND!

Suddenly the Irix becomes sharper @ f/2.4 than average copy of 15-30mm zoom wide open @ f/2.8 with unmodified camera. Looks like this full-spectrum system requires major efforts to get things going. Here the spacer I removed was about 1/10mm thick and now I am a happy camper. I don't have the clip-on filter yet. Ordering it this weekend.
12-19-2019, 10:14 AM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Think you will really enjoy this filter, I picked up a 52 and 67mm. Feels very close to shooting the old aerochrome film.

12-23-2019, 03:37 PM - 6 Likes   #38
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Merry Christmas and such events to all!

I went and took some foggy Christmas photos with the IR-Chrome filter. I was quite surprised how the scenery turned out. Cannot wait to shoot this during the summertime.

Forever Autumn -filter. It also seems to filter out most of artificial light during the night when shooting some cityscapes. Quite handy actually.
12-26-2019, 04:32 PM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wonderful photos. I'm still impressed by how similar the effect is to the old aerochrome. It is a great filter year round.
12-27-2019, 04:22 AM   #40
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Great photos. Keep them coming.
Thanks for sharing. Great Thread!
04-09-2020, 06:59 AM - 2 Likes   #41
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Some updates for this project. Leitax has been really helpful lately even during this COVID-19 catastrophe. I asked for two pieces of Nikon F to Pentax K mount adapters which are 0.20mm less thick than the usual variants. This is to compensate for infinity focus loss. Leitax confirmed this is possible and custom manufactured them for me.

Hats off to Leitax.
04-29-2020, 04:58 AM - 1 Like   #42
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Clip Filter BP642 incoming: Astronomik ProPlanet 642 BP IR-pass filter

Let's see what this thing delivers when it arrives :O
05-11-2020, 09:38 AM   #43
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Okay, now a question to people who have used the clip filter...

How is this even safe to use? I received it but I may as well return it. What were they smoking when designing this? I have to open up liveview to install it and that's fine. But what happens if I power off the camera? Train accident? Seriously, it seems to install under the raised mirror and when the mirror slaps down (or tries to)...crash. What am I missing here?
05-14-2020, 09:10 AM   #44
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Okay, now a question to people who have used the clip filter...

How is this even safe to use? I received it but I may as well return it. What were they smoking when designing this? I have to open up liveview to install it and that's fine. But what happens if I power off the camera? Train accident? Seriously, it seems to install under the raised mirror and when the mirror slaps down (or tries to)...crash. What am I missing here?
I saw your other thread MJKoski, I've not heard or read about any problems using the clip in filters - it's how they are meant to be used.