Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-27-2019, 11:22 AM   #1

Sony vs Pentax K1-II IBIS

Hi All,

I'm looking at either getting a Sony a7riii or K1-II. The most important feature for me is IBIS, since I plan on shooting an architecture project, with no tripod in a lot of cases, and low light.. From what I've read, the sony (a7riii) IBIS is ok, maybe for 1-2 stops, but the IBIS may not be as good as Pentax?
I know pentax has HDPS as well, which might be nice to use also.

I'm just trying to get an idea/opinion of which system might be better for me in this regard.

03-27-2019, 01:32 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

Sony claims 5.5 stops when tested to CIPA standards with the Zeiss EF 50mm f/1.4 mounted.

Pentax claims 5 stops for the K-1ii when tested to CIPA standards with the D FA 28-105/3.5-5.6 set to 105mm

Given the challenge of the longer focal length on the Pentax, I would consider them equivalent. Which works for you in the field is another matter. The two cameras are quite different in the hand.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 03-27-2019 at 08:36 PM.
03-27-2019, 02:10 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
If it's a serious project, definitely consider whether you can really do it without a tripod, or at least a mono pod. I know you didn't ask for this advice, but IBIS will always only get you so far.
03-27-2019, 02:56 PM   #4
Pentaxian

I would also look at highest acceptable iso for you with each camera of course. There might be a stop difference.

03-27-2019, 05:42 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Why IBIS and not in-lens stabilisation? I presume you will mostly be shooting wide-angle. The Tamron 15-30 f/2.8 has inbuilt VC and is available for Canon, Nikon and Sony A. Not an option?

By the way, I love the K1. It would be a great choice.
03-27-2019, 05:57 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
Why IBIS and not in-lens stabilisation? I presume you will mostly be shooting wide-angle. The Tamron 15-30 f/2.8 has inbuilt VC and is available for Canon, Nikon and Sony A. Not an option?
The Sony A7riii doesn't use Sony A mount, Paul, it uses Sony E mount.
03-27-2019, 07:12 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
You missed my point. I am saying why does the OP need a system with IBIS?

03-27-2019, 07:22 PM - 1 Like   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
You missed my point. I am saying why does the OP need a system with IBIS?
If they go with the Pentax or the Sony, they'll get five way IS, if they go with that Tamron and a Canon or Nikon, it'll be three way. Just how it is!

Personally, I think they'd be nuts to do any commercial work of that nature without a tripod - no IS needed at all.
03-27-2019, 09:03 PM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

Well, that's a bit confusing.
03-27-2019, 09:27 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by leekil Quote
Well, that's a bit confusing.
Sure. When they came out with a mirrorless platform, they named it Alpha, just like their pellicle DSLR line.
03-27-2019, 11:26 PM - 2 Likes   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by timn421 Quote
I'm just trying to get an idea/opinion of which system might be better for me in this regard.
Sensor stabilization is done by having the sensor move to adapt to camera motion, does not correct lens motion effectively (that's why Panasonic have been working on combining both sensor stabilization and lens stabilization). The gap between camera motion and lens motion gets smaller when the camera body and lens are balanced (wildlife shooter know this as they adjust camera/lens position in gimbals so that the system doesn't move when we stop applying any force). Typically, the Pentax K1 and WA lens system is more balanced than the equivalent Sony system, because the small size / weight convenience of the Sony bodies turn out to be a disadvantage for stable shooting without tripod.

I shoot with the K1 + battery grip and the D-FA15-30 with SR enabled in low ligth, I get sharp images with 1 sec. shutter speed. I use the K1 II hand held pixel shift and it gets me one or two additional ISO stop improvement, say shooting at ISO 400 gets me images as good as if they were shot at ISO100.

There are now a lot of museums that do not allow use of a tripod, the most popular idea from mainly photographers (canon, nikon) is that tripod is what gets pro images, so they forbid tripod and to get tripod allowance one must file a pro photographer registration, but Pentax flies under their radar: I go around the "tripod not allowed" interdiction by using K1 Mk II, with battery grip loaded with 6xEneloop Pro, and D-FA15-30, HHPS (most people have no idea how good the K1 Mk II is in low light).

Last edited by biz-engineer; 03-27-2019 at 11:34 PM.
03-28-2019, 12:20 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If they go with the Pentax or the Sony, they'll get five way IS, if they go with that Tamron and a Canon or Nikon, it'll be three way. Just how it is!

Personally, I think they'd be nuts to do any commercial work of that nature without a tripod - no IS needed at all.
wel , he wrote no tripod in lot of cases, so he is planning to use one, but probably can't (isn't allowed?) in lot of cases.
03-28-2019, 03:05 AM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Macario Quote
wel , he wrote no tripod in lot of cases, so he is planning to use one, but probably can't (isn't allowed?) in lot of cases.
Yes, you're right, Macario.
03-28-2019, 05:43 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Macario Quote
I feel like if you're a hired photographer you often can get the rules bent for you for some shots.

Regardless this is true, don't know the specifics.
03-28-2019, 06:50 AM   #15

Original Poster
My needs for IBIS is mostly just for visiting museums, because they don't allow tripods. I did want to try and get the best image possible and was wondering if the stabilization between pentax and sony were pretty equal, all things considered. The pixel shift and being able to shoot at a higher iso may be something for me to consider.