Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-30-2019, 06:47 AM   #46
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
You are trying to define what "special" means for me. And honestly, there's nothing as ridiculous as people trying to alter the meaning of words to prove a point or win an argument. There's huge "need to be perceived as right" with such attempts.

If i want to argue that cameras are special in some ways, that's none of your business. You don't get to alter the language to suit your argumentative nonsense.
Ah, I see. You are in that mood when you think that everyone with a different opinion than yours about the meaning of the word special is the bad guy of the story or he wants to teach you english. I responded already to this by telling you that if you think/want your K1 to be special, then fine by me even if I don't agree with what you said because each system has features that makes buyers to want to buy their cameras and lenses. For you it seems that pixel shift makes K1 special. For a Sony user who have an A7R III which also has pixel shift and doesn't use it, the eye af for animals can be the feature that he is interested in. If this kind of features makes cameras special, again, it's fine by me. I simply don't see it that way and I don't think that a debate about what is special or not is going to be productive.

Someone above said that his cameras are special, but from the emotional perspective, which I agree with completly. I agree also with the fact that cameras can produce special emotions once the viewer see the pictures taken with those cameras. But I see cameras, cars, phones, etc. as tools. Simple as that.

Last edited by Dan Rentea; 03-30-2019 at 06:53 AM.
03-30-2019, 07:04 AM   #47
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Dan Rentea Quote
Ah, I see. You are in that mood when you think that everyone with a different opinion than yours about the meaning of the word special is the bad guy of the story or he wants to teach you english. I responded already to this by telling you that if you think/want your K1 to be special, then fine by me even if I don't agree with what you said because each system has features that makes buyers to want to buy their cameras and lenses. For you it seems that pixel shift makes K1 special. For a Sony user who have an A7R III which also has pixel shift and doesn't use it, the eye af for animals can be the feature that he is interested in. If this kind of features makes cameras special, again, it's fine by me. I simply don't see it that way and I don't think that a debate about what is special or not is going to be productive.

Someone above said that his cameras are special, but from the emotional perspective, which I agree with completly. I agree also with the fact that cameras can produce special emotions once the viewer see the pictures taken with those cameras. But I see cameras, cars, phones, etc. as tools. Simple as that.
That's quite the song and dance. Sometimes it's better to just keep quiet.

Now can we get back to what makes a K-1 special without this semantical nonsense?

If you don't believe in the concept of a thread, you don't have to participate, especially since you don't own a K-1 and you have no idea what makes it special. Why are you even participating?

It would seem the sole purpose of you participation in this thread is to try and squash any joy any Pentax user might express about their use of their camera. Get over yourself.

For myself, Pixel Shift is special... your personal opinion doesn't change that and isn't relevant. I don't care what else exists out there in the rest of the world. It's not for you to comment. It just is.
What K-1 feature is special for you? (That's what the thread is about.)

Last edited by normhead; 03-30-2019 at 07:15 AM.
03-30-2019, 07:06 AM   #48

Photos: Gallery
The K-1ii is one tough cookie. I put a very large dose of stupid on mine with a 15-30 F2.8 heavy monster on it by allowing my tripod to go over on a concrete walk way in Carlsbad Cavern while doing pixel shift pics. It went over past 90 degrees as I was on a slope and the lens is trash according to Precision (who by the way shipped it back free and didn't charge to look at it, I don't think they took it apart) but the camera got the 28-105 put on it and finished the Caverns taking some great shots. Funny thing is right after the fall it stopped showing the 4 pictures as it took them but it started to show the blocks with nothing in them then started to show the whole thing like normal. It never missed a picture (around 100 in the caverns) here 6 weeks later is still working as if nothing happened. Still trying to figure out what to do with the $1300 paperweight of a lens now. Had camera insurance til we changed insurance companies and they said homeowners covered it all but I never though about the $1000 deductible.
03-30-2019, 07:55 AM   #49
Veteran Member

That's quite the song and dance. Sometimes it's better to just keep quiet.

Now can we get back to what makes a K-1 special without this semantical nonsense?

If you don't believe in the concept of a thread, you don't have to participate, especially since you don't own a K-1 and you have no idea what makes it special. Why are you even participating?

It would seem the sole purpose of you participation in this thread is to try and squash any joy any Pentax user might express about their use of their camera. Get over yourself.

For myself, Pixel Shift is special... your personal opinion doesn't change that and isn't relevant. I don't care what else exists out there in the rest of the world. It's not for you to comment. It just is.
What K-1 feature is special for you? (That's what the thread is about.)
Have I said that Pentax is bad? I don't think so. Have I said about any camera that is the best or the worst? I don't think so. Have I said that Pentax is hard to beat for landscape? Yes, I did, as a response to Rondec. Have I said that every system has cameras that have some features that help photographers to achieve what they want? Yes, I did.

So please don't act as a lawyer for Pentax as long as my comment regarding the word "special" was adressed to ALL CAMERAS and not to a particular one.

And again, if you think that your K1 is special, fine by me. If it produce the best images for you, again, fine by me. If I buy a Phase One tomorow I will treat it like a tool, a very expensive tool, that's it. Does this statement makes photographers that shoot with K1 to be less joyful when they shoot with their cameras? I really hope not.

And if you bring the title into discussion, I think you forgot about the first part "full frame battle" and you concentrate on "what makes K1 so special". First part has to do with other brands because if it didn't, then the title would have been "Pentax full frame battle, what makes K1 special compared to K1 Mark II".

First part seems also to be the part that can lead to debates due to the world "battle". But because I said that in my opinion there aren't special cameras, just different tools with different features, you had enough material to start your usual passive/aggresive comments as if Pentax is somehow targeted as a bad camera. I have news for you, it's not a bad camera in my eyes, on the contrary, Pentax have very capable cameras for landscape, for studio, etc. with a less capable system behind.

03-30-2019, 08:31 AM   #50
Pentaxian

Have I said that Pentax is bad? I don't think so. Have I said about any camera that is the best or the worst? I don't think so. Have I said that Pentax is hard to beat for landscape? Yes, I did, as a response to Rondec. Have I said that every system has cameras that have some features that help photographers to achieve what they want? Yes, I did.

So please don't act as a lawyer for Pentax as long as my comment regarding the word "special" was adressed to ALL CAMERAS and not to a particular one.

And again, if you think that your K1 is special, fine by me. If it produce the best images for you, again, fine by me. If I buy a Phase One tomorow I will treat it like a tool, a very expensive tool, that's it. Does this statement makes photographers that shoot with K1 to be less joyful when they shoot with their cameras? I really hope not.

And if you bring the title into discussion, I think you forgot about the first part "full frame battle" and you concentrate on "what makes K1 so special". First part has to do with other brands because if it didn't, then the title would have been "Pentax full frame battle, what makes K1 special compared to K1 Mark II".

First part seems also to be the part that can lead to debates due to the world "battle". But because I said that in my opinion there aren't special cameras, just different tools with different features, you had enough material to start your usual passive/aggresive comments as if Pentax is somehow targeted as a bad camera. I have news for you, it's not a bad camera in my eyes, on the contrary, Pentax have very capable cameras for landscape, for studio, etc. with a less capable system behind.
My goal is to highlight features other Pentax users might want to explore, (which may or may not be available on other systems) which is my interpretation of what the thread asks. You seem to think it's some kind of challenge for a debate. Sad and disappointing.

Last edited by normhead; 03-30-2019 at 08:39 AM.
03-30-2019, 08:43 AM   #51
Veteran Member

My goal is to highlight features other Pentax users might want to explore, which is my interpretation of what the thread asks. You seem to think it's some kind of challenge for a debate. Sad and disappointing.
If that would have been your goal, then you missed lots of features: astrotracer, AA filter simulator, 300000 shutter releases, compatibility with all Pentax legacy lenses, etc. Given the fact that you concentrated to start a debate over a word instead of pursuit your TRUE goal in this thread it's also sad and dissapointing to me.
03-30-2019, 08:51 AM   #52
Veteran Member

Other cameras have pixelshift or high res mode, other cameras have better support(unless you are a Canon with .cr3 files), other cameras have better tracking, other cameras do many things better. What makes the k1 special is not any of those items, what makes the k1 special are the raw files, and those odd ball focal lengths such as the 77mm, 43mm, and the 31mm along with how small they are. The raw files are amazing that comes from Pentax cameras. How they deliver the shadows and highlights are just right in my book.

03-30-2019, 08:54 AM - 1 Like   #53
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If these examples means that cameras are special tools again, fine by me.
I don’t think it really is fine by you. You keep coming back to make your point again and again, not just to the thread, but to every poster who makes a contrary post. Then you disclaim your argument with what is apparently a disingenuous, “Fine by me ”.

Shoot your tools. I’m heading out to enjoy using my special cameras.

Last edited by monochrome; 03-30-2019 at 09:12 AM.
03-30-2019, 09:43 AM   #54
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I don’t think it really is fine by you.
Oh, but it is. It would be more than weird if I would be disturbed about what camera you or Normhead are using.

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
You keep coming back to make your point again and again, not just to the thread, but to every poster who makes a contrary post.
Is this topic supposed to be a monologue in which only one should speak and the rest should only give a like if they like the monologue?

Does every topic has to be only for the same people over and over again and if someone else dare to speak he must be "punished" even when no one doesn't attack Pentax?

Or do I have to agree with a person like Normhead who can freerly attack anyone?

Or it is forbiden to specify for the ones that didn't understood (or they act like they didn't) that I don't want a debate by telling them that it's more than ok if they think that their camera is special and that I'm ok with this even if I have a different opinion?

Have you seen me attack someone on this topic? As far as I know it's more than easy to verify it. It's a completely different thing to respond to someone who's attacking me and it would be even easier to be aggressive as Normhead often is. But the "fine by me" comment is just a please, let's not start a debate. It doesn't work because it seems that the word special added in a comment in which no camera is also present it's a sign of aggression by my part. That's weird...
03-30-2019, 10:19 AM   #55
Pentaxian

Oh, but it is. It would be more than weird if I would be disturbed about what camera you or Normhead are using.
Because you have nothing to say on the topic so you're determined to turn it another direction.
Buy a K-1, find out what you think is special about it, then get back to us.
Your views of what I can or can' be special are of no interest to anyone.

Don't think anything is special about any camera? want to discuss it? start your own thread. Let's see how much interest there is. I won't bother going, but I would like to see what folks find special about Pentax cameras based on their experience in this one, and you have nothing to say about that. All you've done is read about it.
03-30-2019, 10:34 AM   #56
Site Supporter

Closed Thread