Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-30-2019, 10:12 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Most importantly the ergonomics are perfect. The K-1 simply fits my hands. My pinky doesn’t hang off the bottom of the grip. All the dials and buttons are perfectly placed for fingers and thumb to move to them naturallly. Both large, long or heavy lenses and small lenses like the FA Limiteds balance well on the K-1.

The features mentioned above like the third control dial (which I usually have set for ISO) and the articulating screen that stays alined with the optical lens center line are neat, but I’d still prefer the K-1 over any other camera if they were missing.

03-30-2019, 10:31 PM - 2 Likes   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
astrotracer (not used enough )
Not surprising, it is much much easier to turn on the astro-tracer feature in the camera than it is to go at a location free of light pollution, with no clouds, at the right phase of the moon, and stand in the middle of the night. I probably used astrotracer 5 times since the K1 was released, but it was worth the experience.
03-31-2019, 02:36 AM - 1 Like   #18
Moderator PEG Judges
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
My top two... are the screen grid and the levels indicators for getting things right ish in camera.
03-31-2019, 02:48 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I assume we’re talking about the control and capture features, so the third wheel would be my most favourite feature of the K-1, followed by the articulated screen and the electronic shutter.

My right thumb still isn’t used to the AF and Green button placement...

03-31-2019, 03:03 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think the viewfinder and the shutter button are the features I use the most...

As far as "special" things, I like having user modes so I can have a dedicated mode for astro photography or landscape photography or action photography and then go back to normal without messing around too much. Pixel shift is one of the things I do use a lot as well. I typically have the third dial set to iso and find that pretty handy as well.
03-31-2019, 04:45 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Combination of very good FF sensor and old K-mount lenses works very well.

GPS - albeit so far I have used it only during one trip. It worked flawlessly and the data was very useful when combined with map in Lightroom.
SR (always on)
Controls - I can change many parameters manually instead of navigating through menu.
03-31-2019, 07:17 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
My top two... are the screen grid and the levels indicators for getting things right ish in camera.
Yes! I use the levels indicators so much that I forgot to mention it.

It's really useful for landscapes, architecture, panoramas, and shift-lens work. (Just don't try to use on an airplane during take-off -- the plane's acceleration totally hoses the readings)

Last edited by photoptimist; 03-31-2019 at 07:39 AM. Reason: clarification
03-31-2019, 07:17 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Excluding image quality, one of the features I was most excited about was the top control. I seldom use it.

Turns out, my two favorite features of the K-1/K-1II:
- Shake Reduction
- Live View Focusing

03-31-2019, 07:37 AM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I hope the people at Pentax are reading this so that your preferences can considered for future cameras including a K-3 replacement - when or if that ever occurs.
03-31-2019, 08:02 AM - 1 Like   #25
Pentaxian
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Funny how many of these things i don't even think of until someone else mentions them. After a couple of years, I'm using stuff out of force of habit and not really engaging in the kind of thought process that would let me remember what I'm doing.

The in viewfinder level is in constant use. Nothing worse than getting home and losing pixels and framing because you had to straighten the image.
The selectable focus points I use a good 50% of the time. They are indispensable for hyperlocal focusing with AF turned on.

In the following image I'm focused on the way out to the left point and the reddish leafless trees, because that gives me the 1/3 to 2/3 relation ship with infinity to keep everything in focus.

I still take a lot of images with legacy glass. For me, liking the new stuff doesn't mean I don't like the older stuff anymore. If anything I value choice. Being able to have a choice like "today I'm going out with the 70-210 or 35-80 just helps keep me from getting board. I can't imagine these folks with thier brand-new 3 lens kits. I mean 3 lenses to choose from, how lame is that?

Especially when you can go out and have a good time with old glass that cost you $35. Just stay out of the restaurant for month and that will cover the cost, easily.
03-31-2019, 08:03 AM - 2 Likes   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

One that I haven't seen mentioned before: Even unmodified, the K-1 makes a very good infrared camera. Slap an R72 filter (or other IR filter) on your lens, set a custom white balance, shoot in LiveView and you're ready to take IR photographs.

I treasure my K-1 because - to me anyway - it is a 'can-do' camera. As everyone in this thread has noted, the K-1 can do just about anything. What I really love about my K-1 is that even when I'm in the field and even if I haven't used a feature much - or at all - I have found that I can both FIND and CORRECTLY USE almost any given feature without needing to resort to the manual.

Just last year I was in a week-long photo workshop and watched my fellow students struggle with their Canikon cameras to turn things on when needed - and off when unneeded. Even the experienced instructor - who used the same camera brand as the other students - had problems helping them with their settings. In a memorable light painting photo shoot the instructor eventually had to resort to gaffer tape to cover the students' camera focus assist lights which the cameras stubbornly insisted on illuminating. My K-1? Never a problem.
03-31-2019, 08:25 AM   #27
Insanely humble
Loyal Site Supporter

The features I use and/or appreciate the most:
- SR
- Dual card slots (I sleep better when I have instant backup when travelling)
- Fantastic dynamic range and high-ISO performance
- TAv mode
- Back-button focusing
- Big viewfinder - with a level!
- "Waistlevel finder" flip screen
- GPS (nice to have, even if I would live well without)
04-09-2019, 05:12 AM   #28
Pentaxian

Oh my. That list is nearly infinite.

Having just sent my K-1 for the MK2 upgrade, and being "forced" to use the K-3, a few things stand out:

1-Tilting LCD

2-Daylight brightness boost

3-Dynamic range and high ISO performances

4-EDIT : like some others, the levels in the viewfinder and LCD are invaluable, I take them for granted

These are differences between the two cameras. Other features that I like (not necessarily in order):

ES
Horizon correction
AF fine adjustment (we Pentaxians take this as a given, but other brands don't have it)
SR
WR
Wifi
User modes
GPS
Focus peaking
Composition adjustment (poor man's shift lens)
Ergonomics

Add a jog dial for AF point selection and there's seriously nothing that I'd wish completely overhauled.

Last edited by bdery; 04-09-2019 at 09:51 AM.
04-09-2019, 09:24 AM   #29
Pentaxian

I do like everything in K-1 (II) because it is the only DSLR OVF FF IBIS camera in the world and a perfect complement/companion for my Leica-R lenses (mainly but for others brands as well including Pentax of course)... The sony sensor with Pentax software for Raw files is very well-designed and well-operated.. Perfect.

Ha´fei & Ha´ming playing chess, Pentax K-1 II, Leica Apo-Summicron-R 90/2 Asph @ 2.4, Iso100, 1/50s.
Attached Images

04-09-2019, 12:00 PM - 1 Like   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I think the viewfinder and the shutter button are the features I use the most...
You beat me to it...

Kjell