Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
04-09-2019, 12:40 PM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bilybianca Quote
You beat me to it...
I think it's safe to assume that the OP looked beyond that.

The line is hard to draw, of course. I did not list SR as a top feature, because I take it for granted. But it's become a necessary part of my workflow. I could not use reliably a camera that doesn't have it, because the limits and boundaries I set for myself are almost hard-coded to having SR available.

04-09-2019, 01:04 PM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I should be embarrassed, but I am not, to say that my favorite feature is the big white PENTAX logo above the lens!
04-09-2019, 05:27 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'm fairly new to the K-1, most of its important features are similar to my K-5 - rugged build, excellent ergonomics (even better being slightly larger), Hyper modes (HyperManual being my preference). IBIS & horizon correction (again with the levels in the 'finder). Built-in GPS you can turn on/off easily and the external lighting are really useful (despite this I often forget about the lighting behind the LCD screen and fumble my way around until I remember it) and the third dial (set mostly for ISO or +/- EV). Using the same batteries & chargers as my K-5 & 645D is a big plus all round, also that my 20+ year old Pentax IR remote works fine with them all.

I've done some experiments with Interval Composite shooting to work out whether I really need a set of quality ND filters and built-in Astrotracer is a really good feature. I'm sure the user modes will come in handy when I've got the time to set them up.

The best 'feature' is that it takes all my old lenses, so I can choose between AF & manual focus lenses as my mood dictates.
04-10-2019, 05:05 AM   #34
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by johnha Quote
Hyper modes (HyperManual being my preference)
QuoteOriginally posted by johnha Quote
external lighting
Two excellents points. Hyper program (that I almost always use in P mode) is such a given that I've stopped thinking about it. My workflow would be completely different without it.

The external lighting is also a pretty useful feature.

Another one that I take for granted is the MTF-priority program line.

04-10-2019, 05:38 AM   #35

I shoot only old manual vintage lenses with my K1 and I must say that the #1 feature for me is actually 3 features;
1. The amazing sensor
2. IBIS
3. The focus beep!

The focus beep is not 100% accurate all the time but it quickly gets me very near to where I need to be and within a micro second from there I'm precisely where I need to be and pressing the shutter......

I've tried mirrorless for my vintage lens collection and the K1 is much better (for me personally) as I am constantly using the OVF for scoping and finding compositions.....using a mirrorless I'd have to carry a bucket of batteries with me every where!!!!

Last edited by Durf; 04-10-2019 at 05:49 AM.
04-10-2019, 05:57 AM   #36
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Durf Quote
I shoot only old manual vintage lenses with my K1 and I must say that the #1 feature for me is actually 3 features;
1. The amazing sensor
2. IBIS
3. The focus beep!

The focus beep is not 100% accurate all the time but it quickly gets me very near to where I need to be and within a micro second from there I'm precisely where I need to be and pressing the shutter......

I've tried mirrorless for my vintage lens collection and the K1 is much better (for me personally) as I am constantly using the OVF for scoping and finding compositions.....using a mirrorless I'd have to carry a bucket of batteries with me every where!!!!
Often with manual lenses, at first I don't even realize the camera isn't on. That's never going to happen with an EVF.
04-10-2019, 07:20 AM   #37

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Often with manual lenses, at first I don't even realize the camera isn't on. That's never going to happen with an EVF.
I leave mine on all the time; it shuts down after a few minutes but all I need to do if half press the shutter button and it fires right back up and is ready to fire. I can see through the OFV regardless if the camera is on or not. Perfect for what I'm doing and how I shoot.

04-10-2019, 07:52 AM - 2 Likes   #38
Pentaxian

that third dial for crop modes and iso, cif, wifi, dual slots, grid and level indicator in the vf, weather sealing, external led's.

i've only ever used pixel shift or astrotracer once, which is a shame. i just hardly ever have my tripod out. however, the sr has been invaluable.

we waited a little while for a ff digital k mount, and that in itself is quite a feature but then they went and made the k1 such an all around awesome camera.
04-18-2019, 06:50 AM   #39
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Considering your K-1 or K-1ii use, what are your favourite features. (and how do you use them?)

Just curious. There are a lot of features, many of which I don't use at all, so I'm wondering how many consider features to be important that I don't use much. My favourite is pixel shift, same camera, more colour depth, more accurate colour, more resolution.
Just played with a D500 and made a list of features I like from my K1 and also what I am missing
K1:
Shake reduction
User modes, easily accessible
Zooming with control wheels in image review
articulated screen - itīs really fun
THE VIEWFINDER OF AN SLR
Fancy features - like night mode, pixel shift, Illumination

D500
focus point quick selector/ joystick
focus point visibility on screen and in review mode
In lens shake reduction for anything longer than 300mm