Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Weather sealing comparison: Interesting video

04-03-2019, 04:19 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I'm glad he's doing videos again. I like his channel.
04-03-2019, 04:56 PM - 2 Likes   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by fill23ca Quote
I'm glad he's doing videos again. I like his channel.
I think he comes off as more flash than substance but he does have charm and enthusiasm. But that's really only a small quibble
compared to the hope he brings to the brand. It's always encouraging to see young folk who are getting the Pentax ethos. Pentax
lost almost an entire generation, one who remains dismissive of the brand and will continue to do so until they die. Signs that
today's youth are digging on today's Pentax is always worth a smile.
04-04-2019, 03:30 AM   #4
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tvdtvdtvd Quote
I think he comes off as more flash than substance but he does have charm and enthusiasm. But that's really only a small quibble
compared to the hope he brings to the brand. It's always encouraging to see young folk who are getting the Pentax ethos. Pentax
lost almost an entire generation, one who remains dismissive of the brand and will continue to do so until they die. Signs that
today's youth are digging on today's Pentax is always worth a smile.
Which generation do you think pentax lost?

04-04-2019, 07:32 AM - 2 Likes   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by xandos Quote
Which generation do you think pentax lost?
The generation that got into photography in roughly the late '80's to early '00's. The foundations began in the
early '70's when Pentax dragged its feet on switching to a bayonet mount, but they had enough critical momentum
to carry the brand well into the '80's.

It's not that Pentax were making bad products in that time frame, but they were often behind on trends and
largely lacked any real distinction in the marketplace. Nor is it to say Pentax weren't innovating in that time
frame either, but innovation is not necessarily the same thing as a trend. Pentax brought the first AF camera
to market, but then didn't followup. When the trend for AF kicked in a few years later, Pentax were very late
to join the party.

Curiously, Pentax can still be accused of all the above in the present. The company still continues to cut its
own quirky path in and out of current trends. One current trend that is currently working in Pentax' favor
is weather sealing, and the company is rightly seen as an innovator and leader in that area. Pentax's focus
on absolute image quality also plays to the strengths of digital.
04-04-2019, 01:29 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The generation that got into photography in roughly the late '80's to early '00's.

Entirely plausible, much like the rest of your concise brand history, tvdtvdtvd. I got into photography in 1983, via the Minolta MD road. Despite my affection for the Minolta system at the time, with the X-700 at its centre, the camera that started my journey, I remember perceiving Pentax as a real contender and possible alternative both in the camera and lens departments. Within just a couple of years, Pentax largely faded from my radar. It is probably symptomatic that I struggle to put a name to any of the Pentax SLRs that came after the Program A. Likewise, when I think of Pentax lenses of the Eighties, I see various A Series lenses, rather than their later iterations. If I had got into photography in, say, 1989, I might not even have considered Pentax seriously at all.

Last edited by Madaboutpix; 04-04-2019 at 01:37 PM.
04-04-2019, 07:31 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
It's not about whether Pentax lost customers or not. It's about , fact based, how well cameras are built. His showing of the Sony toy like quality matches my experience of handling the Sony.
Given the price of digital camera systems, I expect the camera and lenses to be at least as rugged as the ones Pentax made. I believe Pentax has developed a certain know-how on weather sealing of cameras that other brands don't have.
04-05-2019, 12:40 AM - 1 Like   #8
Forum Member

The generation that got into photography in roughly the late '80's to early '00's. The foundations began in the
early '70's when Pentax dragged its feet on switching to a bayonet mount, but they had enough critical momentum
to carry the brand well into the '80's.

It's not that Pentax were making bad products in that time frame, but they were often behind on trends and
largely lacked any real distinction in the marketplace. Nor is it to say Pentax weren't innovating in that time
frame either, but innovation is not necessarily the same thing as a trend. Pentax brought the first AF camera
to market, but then didn't followup. When the trend for AF kicked in a few years later, Pentax were very late
to join the party.

Curiously, Pentax can still be accused of all the above in the present. The company still continues to cut its
own quirky path in and out of current trends. One current trend that is currently working in Pentax' favor
is weather sealing, and the company is rightly seen as an innovator and leader in that area. Pentax's focus
on absolute image quality also plays to the strengths of digital.
Very interesting. I only got into photography much later (about ten years ago), and for me the reason I started with pentax was low-light capability and small cameras (I started with the k-x, which at the time was good in both ways). The reason I stayed and will stay in the foreseeable future, is that I really like the quirky stuff pentax does: IBIS, astrotracer, AA simulator, pixelshift. The low-light capability of the K-5 for astrophotography is still competitive even now. Native compatibility with old manual small metal lenses and weathersealing are a great pro too.

I might not be the typical customer, but for me the fact that pentax lags in AF and video is way less important than the IQ and IBIS-related tricks they implement before anyone else does. If pentax would not be doing these type of innovations nobody else is looking at, and instead make Nikon-like AF, they would lose customers like me. What I would like, though, is a smaller K-1. But I guess that is at least very very difficult, if not impossible.

To get back on topic: I like that this guy is doing pentax videos, but I find it really hard to stomach his style somehow. I don't know what it is. I have no complaints about the contents of the video. Testing the weather sealing of each camera would be nice, but would probably end up being way too expensive for a small channel, we can't really ask for that.

04-05-2019, 04:36 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by xandos Quote
The reason I stayed and will stay in the foreseeable future, is that I really like the quirky stuff pentax does: IBIS, astrotracer, AA simulator, pixelshift. The low-light capability of the K-5 for astrophotography is still competitive even now. Native compatibility with old manual small metal lenses and weathersealing are a great pro too.

I might not be the typical customer, but for me the fact that pentax lags in AF and video is way less important than the IQ and IBIS-related tricks they implement before anyone else does. If pentax would not be doing these type of innovations nobody else is looking at, and instead make Nikon-like AF, they would lose customers like me. What I would like, though, is a smaller K-1. But I guess that is at least very very difficult, if not impossible.
I'm with you on all those points. Indeed, we Pentaxians are proof that one size does not fit all.