Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 17 Likes Search this Thread
04-10-2019, 12:59 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
I don't know. I tried with my K1 and DFA2470, with focus priority , and CIF worked! I could never have CIF working with an AF lens that doesn't have a AF/MF switch. Now I can.
Could you please explain, what exactly you tried? I couldn't get CIF to work with my D-FA 100 WR Macro based on the above discussion.

04-10-2019, 01:22 AM - 1 Like   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by JensE Quote
Could you please explain, what exactly you tried? I couldn't get CIF to work with my D-FA 100 WR Macro based on the above discussion.
- Button customization set to AF2 (back button AF), and CIF enabled, center point AFS focus priority.
- Press back button AF the camera focuses on whatever is , turn the lens focus ring to defocus the lens (for the experiment)
- Keep back button AF pressed and press the shutter button, the camera won't take a picture
- Keep pressing both back button AF and shutter button, turn the lens focus ring to get the center point in focus, as soon as the center point is in focus the camera will take the shot.

So, in real photography scenario, let's say photographing a mountain bike race at a corner of the race path:
- I could press the back button AF to focus at the distance I predict the subject to be when I want to have it snapped
- keep the back AF button pressed while recomposing (center point gets OOF)
- press the shutter button, and wait.

When the bike appears in the frame within the plane of focus, the camera will trigger.
04-10-2019, 03:47 AM   #18
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Turning the focus ring of an AF lens, won't that damage an AF lens?
04-10-2019, 03:48 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
This requires a lens with quick-shift.

04-10-2019, 03:51 AM   #20
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JensE Quote
This requires a lens with quick-shift.
Thanks. I won't be trying that with any of my AF lens then.
04-10-2019, 04:50 AM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
I did that for the purpose of testing with my dfa2470. In real case shooting you wouldn't defocus the lens manually, you'd press AF to focus the lens for the distance you want it to be focused and then recompose. For example, if there is a tree beside a bike track, you pre-focus on the tree trunk by pressing the back AF button, then recompose and press the shutter button, the camera won't take the shot until a bike arrives at the level of the tree. At no point in time the AF ring of the lens was touched.
04-10-2019, 05:02 AM   #22
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Ah Okay. That makes more sense now. Thanks.

04-10-2019, 05:52 PM   #23

I've always had problems with CIF - I tried for a while to set a user mode to use it, but between the back button focus which I always use and who knows what else it never was satisfactory for me, although sometimes I could get it to sort of work.

In this case I set things...

- Button customization set to AF2 (back button AF), and CIF enabled, center point AFS focus priority.
- Press back button AF the camera focuses on whatever is , turn the lens focus ring to defocus the lens (for the experiment) - or move the camera so it isn't pointing at something in focus as I would like to do...
- Keep back button AF pressed and press the shutter button, the camera takes a picture - a very blurry picture.

The way I think CIF should work doesn't seem to be how Pentax makes it work - or else I am missing something in the settings. What I'd like to have work is I press the back button to focus, then take my thumb off the focus button, then point the camera somewhere that the focus point isn't in focus and press the shutter button. Nothing should happen until there is something in focus at the focus point, then it should take a photo. I could live with having to hold the back button down, but I'd really rather not.

On messing around more it seems the whole focus priority doesn't seem to be a big concern to the camera - it will take a photo if things are in focus or not as soon as I press the shutter button (which is normally how I want it to behave and half the reason to use the back button). Maybe I'll go back to the manual and see if I can make sense of that - although the K-1 manual seems to only tell you how to get into a mode, and not what it actually does or how to make use of it.

04-10-2019, 05:54 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I couldn't seem to get this to work on my K-1ii with the 28-105mm.

The camera will shoot the picture even if the shot is completely defocused.
04-10-2019, 06:34 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Are we are talking K1ii only and specifically?
04-10-2019, 06:34 PM   #26

I messed around with this a bit more and was able to get it to sort of work with a manual focus lens if I held the back focus button down and then moved towards the subject until it was in focus at which point it would take a photo - sometimes. Sometimes it would just take a photo when I pressed the shutter button. In the earlier experiments I tried with the 100mm macro and the 24-70 - both autofocus lenses - it would just take photos as soon as I pressed the shutter button focus or not. The K-1 manual implies it only works with manual focus lenses and doesn't say anything about rear button focus.
04-11-2019, 01:49 AM   #27
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I've only ever used it with manual focus lenses and it was the same, move in til it found focus then the shutter would fire. I've never tried it with using the back button focus or a K-1 cause I don't own one.

I would like if it would work with AF lenses but I see no real point in that, as far as I can see AF works okay for me in what I shoot at any rate. I don't do much sports photography, or birds in flight either, except gulls and pelicans. And they're easy to track.
04-11-2019, 03:59 AM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Oakland Rob Quote
I couldn't seem to get this to work on my K-1ii with the 28-105mm.

The camera will shoot the picture even if the shot is completely defocused.
Same here, I replicated the setting in biz-engineer's post, but the camera in most cases just fires immediately when using an AF lens. With a manual lens (SCM-A 200mm F/4), it works as described using the AF-button.
04-12-2019, 07:58 AM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I wonder why they limited it to manual focus lenses. I'm no engineer, but it just seems like instead of doing a beep to confirm focus it tripped a relay to fire the shutter it would work.
04-12-2019, 01:20 PM - 1 Like   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Oakland Rob Quote
I wonder why they limited it to manual focus lenses
They didn't simply limit it to manual focus lenses, but it is engineered to work with any manual focus lens or any AF lens that has a MF/AF switch on the lens itself.

The point being the camera needs to be set to AF mode, and the lens needs to be set to MF (or is a manual lens) for it to work as documented in the manuals.