Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
04-16-2019, 11:50 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

3rd Party batteries?

I'm wondering if anyone has a preference for 3rd party batteries for the K-1ii.

04-16-2019, 12:08 PM - 1 Like   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just to be the first, despite my not being a K-1ii owner...Wasabi.

Steve
04-16-2019, 12:38 PM - 1 Like   #3

Photos: Gallery
This batteries test is interesting. Watson batteries seems the best.
04-16-2019, 01:35 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

This article is pretty good:

Third Party Battery Review ? Watson and Wasabi Batteries - Photography Life

STeve

04-16-2019, 02:43 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
This "reviewer" completely overlooks one important battery characteristic - heat build up. I another study that found Watson batteries do a better job regarding heat build up.
04-16-2019, 03:34 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
This "reviewer" completely overlooks one important battery characteristic - heat build up. I another study that found Watson batteries do a better job regarding heat build up.
Good point. The matter was brought up in the comments, but with no personal experience with either brand. I personally have never had an issue with Wasabi overheating using the Pentax charger but will confess to not ever trying the rapid charger that shipped with the batteries, this despite having used them for the better part of the last decade. Of course the issue of overheating while doing in-camera charge is moot with Pentax.

I don't recall any reports of swelling or heat problems during use on any Pentax camera with any battery, but I may be mistaken. Are you aware of any?

Steve
04-16-2019, 07:27 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the input. I'll give Watson a try.

04-16-2019, 07:39 PM   #8
Pentaxian

have DEKK 2300mah which I think is now rebadged powerextra but do not know for sure.....dste has served well in li109 variety (but not what you are asking)

also have gotten KASTAR (li90) and they SUCK!
04-17-2019, 05:28 AM   #9

Photos: Albums
I like the Watson brand. They work well and a great value, I have them for my K3-II, K5-II and Sigma SD Quattro.
04-17-2019, 02:33 PM   #10

Photos: Albums
I have many original Pentax lenses, each works as well as well as the rest, all are just fine even though the oldest is 8 years old. I have also tried a number of third party batteries, last week I dumped the last of them - they all gave up the ghost and wouldn't hold a charge after very few years. Unfortunately, tests do not reveal longevity.

I'd be interested to know who supplies Pentax/Ricoh with the ones that come with their cameras!
04-17-2019, 03:10 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I see Wasabi was recommended but i for one would not, nor would i ever purchase another. The battery started to swell and became tight in the camera after about 1 year of limited use. The Wasabi had about half the capacity of the Pentax battery so i relied on the original battery the most anyway. Some have obviously had a good experience with Wasabi and some obviously have not (me). For me i'll just pony up the money and get a Pentax battery rather than roll the dice!!