Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
05-15-2019, 06:01 PM - 1 Like   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Roadboat24 Quote
Marv-O. It was a large beer stein... No problems, with the exception of being a bit sticky till I was able to clean things up. )
Outstanding....I hope it was an IPA

05-16-2019, 02:48 AM   #17
Unregistered User

Take a look at this review of the k-1, beginning in particular at six minutes, thirty seconds into the clip:

My personal approach is to treat the equipment as if there were no "weather sealing", and hope that if I have an accident, it'll be survivable. I have had the stuff out in very light rain, but only for a few minutes. I wouldn't rely on that feature, but I hope it'll come through for me when needed. (Notice I didn't say, "if needed"; the time will certainly come.)
05-16-2019, 02:51 AM   #18
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by victormeldrew Quote
Have you ever tried that? The warranty is very clear in that water ingress (howsoever caused) is not covered by the warranty. A quick search on here will reveal many people who have had warranty claims refused for this reason, despite claiming that they have only ever used WR lenses in no more than light rain. I've never heard of anyone having water ingress repaired under warranty, not ever heard of weather sealing being checked for defects during the claim. If there is water in there, the big 'Declined' stamp comes down and that's the end of the story.
That's interesting, since they do warrant that the equipment is "sealed". Any statement as to the quality, characteristics, or properties of the product constitute a "warranty", which, contrary to popular belief, is not a period of time in which you can get the thing fixed for free, but a promise made at the time of sale that the goods will conform to the description. The free fix falls under the category of "remedies for breach of warranty".
05-16-2019, 03:45 AM - 1 Like   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dlh Quote
That's interesting, since they do warrant that the equipment is "sealed". Any statement as to the quality, characteristics, or properties of the product constitute a "warranty", which, contrary to popular belief, is not a period of time in which you can get the thing fixed for free, but a promise made at the time of sale that the goods will conform to the description. The free fix falls under the category of "remedies for breach of warranty".
Well said, but the issue of "weather resistance" versus "weather-sealed" or "weather-proof" is ambiguous and why I started the thread in the 1st place. Most of us have subjective ideas as to what the definition and thus, warranty breach is under heavy weather conditions. As I stated, I rarely, if ever, bring my Leica equipment out in bad weather because the manual states that the Leicas I own are not "weather-sealed".

My other concern is with lenses that tout weather sealing and are zoom lenses with moving barrels--moisture gets trapped in the barrels and can seep in to the camera and corrode the inners of the body regardless of the weather sealing of the body itself. In fact, several postings here have stated that very issue. I wish Pentax would clarify their warranty position on this.

05-16-2019, 06:05 AM   #20
Pentaxian

This is a case of "Just because you can, doesn't mean you should". I consider the "weather" sealing a backup plan, for went I screw up... If things are going to get "submerged", I have cameras designed for that.
05-16-2019, 09:14 AM   #21
Veteran Member

The biggest issue for me is that if a seal (an o-ring or gasket) has been improperly made or installed during manufacture, and it was THAT which caused water ingress, that component is not warrantied because they deem the warranty void due to water ingress.
05-16-2019, 10:21 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by victormeldrew Quote
The biggest issue for me is that if a seal (an o-ring or gasket) has been improperly made or installed during manufacture, and it was THAT which caused water ingress, that component is not warrantied because they deem the warranty void due to water ingress.
That sounds like a total classic "Catch 22". You use the camera because of the weather seal, the weather seal is defective and you make a logical warranty claim. Then they disclaim saying that the warranty is void because water penetrated the body.....sounds like Major Major in the film--if you're crazy, you can't fly. But if you're declared crazy, you can't be crazy so you have to keep flying....What is the point of "Weather Sealed" if it has no value.....It's insane. We all invest various sums in our kits, features represented as such, should be honored if they fail under warranty.

I agree with Reh (F.O.G.) and Victor on this one.

05-22-2019, 01:43 PM   #23
Veteran Member

15-30mm WR and 24-70WR are not very spectacular in terms of, well, weather resistance. Both will get fogged fast. First goes the focusing window and then moisture starts forming behind the front element. Both handled heavy rain and sleet for few hours without dying though.
05-22-2019, 05:37 PM - 1 Like   #24
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dlh Quote

Specifically mentioned, DLH:

"PENTAX WARRANTY POLICY
All PENTAX cameras purchased through authorised bona fide photographic distribution channels are guaranteed against defects of material or workmanship for a period of twelve months from date of purchase. Service will be rendered, and defective parts will be replaced without cost to you within that period, provided the equipment does not show evidence of impact, sand or liquid damage, mishandling, tampering, battery or chemical corrosion, operation contrary to operating instructions, or modification by an unauthorised repair shop."

This is pretty much how every camera company treats water damage, even to their top-of-the-line sports action cameras like the Nikon D5 and Canon 1DX.

This is why sports photojournalists insure their equipment.
05-23-2019, 04:52 AM - 1 Like   #25
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Puffery vs Reality:

Puffery Law and Legal Definition | USLegal, Inc.

Puffery is a concept well known in law and advertising

would it apply in any claim for warranty coverage

well, if the actual terms of the warranty states it doesn't coverage something, most likely that would control the issue

the concept of " protect yourself at all times " might be a wise one for photographers to follow regarding their equipment

Last edited by aslyfox; 05-23-2019 at 06:42 AM.