Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-27-2019, 06:28 AM   #1

Two Questions about the K-1 II

1. I've heard it reported that the noise reduction is hard wired into the raw files. Is this also true at low ISO?

2. In practical use has anyone found that the AF improvements are noticable?

I am looking to get either a K-1 II or I for the handful of weddings I shoot per year (currently with a D810), and also for a DSLR scanning rig. I think the Pentax implementation of pixel shift makes for an ideal scanner, but in these conditions I'd prefer if there was as little in camera noise suppression as possible-understanding that noise with PS and at low ISO is already minimal...

05-27-2019, 07:26 AM   #2

This is something you'll literally never notice or think about when you are using the camera /looking at photos. It's not a real world concern. Certainly not when doing pixel shift. Check out the DPR scene test for comparisons. PS kills noise especially at low ISO. Given that you will be shooting stationary items on a tripod you can probably shoot at ISO 100 for all shots.

I haven't shot with it enough to tell. People say that the improvements are on the AF-C setting. My general sense is that there is some improvement. But really the biggest determinant around AF performance with Pentax is with good lenses (in my opinion). The DFA* lenses have the best autofocus performance. Currently there are two of these 50mm and 70-200mm - there is also a new DFA* 85mm coming out later this year.

The 24-70 is decent - I get fine results with it. Likewise with the 15-30.
05-27-2019, 07:57 AM   #3

Original Poster
It's a tough call as you can get K-1s for so cheap now. And I do primarily want to use the 31/43/77 plus a macro for scanning. I understand that the new DFAs are nice, but I could get similar lenses for my Nikon. Love those limited primes hah, even if they're showing some amount of age.
05-27-2019, 08:07 AM - 4 Likes   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I believe that the dominant theory, supported by Bill Claff's analysis, is that baked-in noise reduction in the K-1 doesn't kick in until around ISO 640.

05-27-2019, 08:13 AM - 2 Likes   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sperdynamite Quote
1. I've heard it reported that the noise reduction is hard wired into the raw files. Is this also true at low ISO?

I am looking to get either a K-1 II or I for the handful of weddings I shoot per year (currently with a D810), and also for a DSLR scanning rig. I think the Pentax implementation of pixel shift makes for an ideal scanner, but in these conditions I'd prefer if there was as little in camera noise suppression as possible-understanding that noise with PS and at low ISO is already minimal...
1. Everything you read about the K-1MKII "hard wired" raw files should be ignored. The K-1MKII delivers the best file at all ISO's of any DSLR. The DPReview Camera Comparison Tool demonstrates that. As a "scanner" there isn't a better DSLR for the job to deliver what you are looking for in a final file output.

2. If you know what you are doing then autofocus will not be a problem.
05-27-2019, 08:18 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bkpix Quote
I believe that the dominant theory, supported by Bill Claff's analysis, is that baked-in noise reduction in the K-1 doesn't kick in until around ISO 640.
I second that. Which is why I am not angsty about the K1mkII, and got my K1 upgraded with a light heart. I have special use cases for my cameras, and the role my K1U2 serves is compatible with what Bill Claff found. When I need higher iso's, my use case is such that it's the noise that is the problem, and it's great that it is reduced in raw OOC. I am using my K1U2 a lot professionally in a museum setting, where I cannot use flash, and in situation where I cannot use a tripod. With a tripod, I can go to slow shutter speeds, or else I'm using my Z.
05-27-2019, 08:36 AM   #7

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Mark ii definitely has quicker autofocus, including birds in flight

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1 Mark II  Photo 
05-27-2019, 09:00 AM   #8

here's one in "crop mode" using 60-250 lens. it looks ok on computer
Attached Images

05-27-2019, 09:01 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The accelerator starts at ISO640.

I haven't done any AF tracking since I have it, so I can't tell for AF tracking. For AF.S the speed is the same, the K1II is maybe slightly better to lock focus in the dark vs K1, from what I've tried but maybe it's subjective, anyway if there is a difference in AFS it's not striking.

I think the Pentax implementation of pixel shift makes for an ideal scanner, but in these conditions I'd prefer if there was as little in camera noise suppression as possible-understanding that noise with PS and at low ISO is already minimal...
PS doesn't work with moving subjects. It it is about using PS or dynamic PS to remove noise on stills in poor light (high ISO), at high ISO on the K1 II the accelerator is active even with PS and dynamic PS, so you wouldn't expect the best sharpness at high ISO anyway. But shooting a castle at night without a tripod with dynamic pixel shift will deliver an image quality that no other FF DSLR can match (given that the castle will not move, usually they don't ..)

Last edited by biz-engineer; 05-27-2019 at 09:09 AM.
05-27-2019, 11:41 AM   #10
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Both of these are discussed in considerable detail in our review:

Pentax K-1 Mark II vs K-1 Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-27-2019, 12:59 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It's a tough call as you can get K-1s for so cheap now. And I do primarily want to use the 31/43/77 plus a macro for scanning. I understand that the new DFAs are nice, but I could get similar lenses for my Nikon. Love those limited primes hah, even if they're showing some amount of age.
Those limiteds are a fantastic match for the K-1 / K-1 II. Really love mine and can happily carry them around where ever I go - something I personally would be reluctant to do with bigger lenses (even the DFA* 50 is probably a bit big for me).

I own a K-1 but I don't think you can go wrong with a K-1 II either from what I have seen from comparing test shots.
05-27-2019, 02:43 PM   #12

Original Poster
Thanks everyone! I'll probably try and pick up a K-1 II, unless I find an offer I can't refuse on a 1. Then I'll have to find a good film body so I can scan my Ektachromes with Pixel Shift. :-)
05-27-2019, 03:18 PM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rico Quote
1. Everything you read about the K-1MKII "hard wired" raw files should be ignored. The K-1MKII delivers the best file at all ISO's of any DSLR.
This!