Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 38 Likes Search this Thread
05-29-2019, 12:18 AM - 2 Likes   #16
Site Supporter

It is easy to be seduced by mirrorless which has a great many advantages and the same goes for the newest technology which is just amazing.

But when looking dispassionately at a system, simply as a tool for making photographs, then there are other considerations. A photographer called Sean Reid who reviews many cameras and lenses (on his paid site) says that occasionally, as he tests something, he forgets the camera he is using because it becomes a part of him and this has to do with the sum of all the components of the system: how the image is viewed, the ergonomics, the haptics, the quality and colour of the files and so on. It is because of him that I recently purchased a KP followed rapidly by a K1-II.

Pentax cameras are not the most up to date and lack many of the features of newer iterations. In that respect it is difficult to make a case for them based on specifications, but as a tool for making photographs they get an awful lot right. It is obvious that Ricoh/Pentax employs some very good engineers who understand the photographer and succeed in giving him or her a very competent image making machine. It is equally obvious that their marketing team finds it hard to convey the strengths of the brand so it can achieve a higher level of recognition.

Aside from the Ricoh GR, I am new to Pentax but now wish that I had come across them before because it would have saved me a lot of money and frustration in getting used to a variety of other systems each of which had their own peculiarity. As such I understand well the author of the article who has tripped over many brands before arriving to the conclusion that the Pentax K1is a very suitable and competent camera which will suit his needs better than other systems.

Last edited by vdubois; 05-29-2019 at 12:21 AM. Reason: Formatting
05-29-2019, 01:08 AM - 1 Like   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by vdubois Quote
It is obvious that Ricoh/Pentax employs some very good engineers who understand the photographer and succeed in giving him or her a very competent image making machine. It is equally obvious that their marketing team finds it hard to convey the strengths of the brand so it can achieve a higher level of recognition.
The first part of this comes through in spades on the 'special sites' that Ricoh have made forthe K-1 and star and Ltd lenses - the second part if the sadtruth that few people will find those sites.

It's easy to mock - and frequently is mocked - the touchy-feely over hard specs, but the touchy-feely probably matters a lot more to those who are interested in the images they make rather than their own image.
05-29-2019, 01:19 AM   #18
Forum Member

i bet he will eventually sell pentax anytime soon and return to where he started and then running circle again XD when get older, perhaps just enjoy shooting film again!?

gear lust is painful

Last edited by KoolKool; 05-29-2019 at 01:31 AM.
05-29-2019, 03:20 AM - 1 Like   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by KoolKool Quote
i bet he will eventually sell pentax anytime soon and return to where he started and then running circle again XD when get older, perhaps just enjoy shooting film again!?

gear lust is painful
You did see that the author of the blog is posting on this thread?

I think he has said that he is not someone who changes brands easily (he was with Canon for 17 years), he just really stopped connecting with Canon's ethos and when he tried mirrorless cameras (Sony and Fuji) didn't connect with those either. I think the point is that even if you get nice images, you need to enjoy the experience of getting them -- actually like using the camera and its ergonomics, etc. He found that with the K-1 II which he didn't with those other brands.

MJKoski I think had some of the wisest words when he said that he quit changing cameras so often because he discovered that his images actually were pretty much the same and he lost money every time he changed. I have seen this many times. Folks switch to a different brand and show back up here to gloat about their new acquisition and I honestly can't tell the difference between their new and old camera's photos. That can be good (if they are a good photographer) and bad (if they aren't), but the camera doesn't make the photos, the photographer does.

At the end of the day, if you don't enjoy the experience of photography you aren't going to continue taking photos for long, even if you make excellent images.

05-29-2019, 05:59 AM - 2 Likes   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice article.

I went digital in 2012. I had been using Pentax/Ricoh since 1970 or so and didn't even know it Pentax was still in the game as I was coming back to photography after a 13 year hiatus from it. Did a google search and found this forum. Got a K5. My photos pretty much sucked and I was ready to put it on my anvil take a 4 pound hammer to it. Too many modes and too many bells and whistles were getting in my way and it was very frustrating. Then there was a thread about using the camera in manual mode with old lenses. I took the 55mm f1.8 lens off my Spotmatic II, and used an adapter to mount it on my K5. Suddenly thing started changing.

From there I started learning what each mode actually did and whether it was important to me or not. After that I got a K5-IIs, and a K3 but still something was missing. The photos were good but something like sterile. No real word to describe it.

In early June 2016 I was driving out to Yellowstone from western, NY and stopped a the Camera Cottage camera store in Billings. MT because I wanted to check out a K1. They actually sold Pentax cameras! I had gotten a Nest gimbal head from them and wanted to see the place in person. I picked up a K1 and it "spoke to me". Pulled out the credit card and got it along with the D FA 28-105 lens. A decision I have never regretted.

All I can say is that was the first digital camera I owned that made me stop missing film. The images have what I call a delicious quality to them. I added a K1-II to the stable when they came out and I do not regret that decision either. They are not a great point and shoot camera, but they are a great photographer's camera. It is a camera that the numbers do not define.
05-29-2019, 06:03 AM   #21
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by KoolKool Quote

gear lust is painful
I won't be selling the K1 II any time soon. I finally have found another camera that I enjoy using and I plan on it being with me for many, many years. Also...I do enjoy shooting film, and do so regularly with my K1000.

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
You did see that the author of the blog is posting on this thread?

I think he has said that he is not someone who changes brands easily (he was with Canon for 17 years), he just really stopped connecting with Canon's ethos and when he tried mirrorless cameras (Sony and Fuji) didn't connect with those either. I think the point is that even if you get nice images, you need to enjoy the experience of getting them -- actually like using the camera and its ergonomics, etc. He found that with the K-1 II which he didn't with those other brands.

MJKoski I think had some of the wisest words when he said that he quit changing cameras so often because he discovered that his images actually were pretty much the same and he lost money every time he changed. I have seen this many times. Folks switch to a different brand and show back up here to gloat about their new acquisition and I honestly can't tell the difference between their new and old camera's photos. That can be good (if they are a good photographer) and bad (if they aren't), but the camera doesn't make the photos, the photographer does.

At the end of the day, if you don't enjoy the experience of photography you aren't going to continue taking photos for long, even if you make excellent images.
You have summed this up perfectly! I couldn't have said it better myself. You're absolutely right, photography is about creating images, but the journey to the image is what's important. In my review of the K1 II on the Phoblographer I even state this in the review. How the K1 II is a camera that forces you to slow down, and that it allows you to enjoy the whole experience that photography has to offer. That's incredibly important to me, and to many others, and while Mirrorless cameras are packed with pretty impressive AI, and they can indeed help you snap images at a rapid pace, it takes away from the experience, almost like they remove the magic. Maybe that sounds crazy; it's certainly how it makes me feel though. I'm thankful I have found a camera i'm able to connect with in the K1 II. Thanks so much for taking the time to understand the message I was trying to convey in the article. I really appreciate that.

---------- Post added 05-29-19 at 08:11 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
Nice article.

I went digital in 2012. I had been using Pentax/Ricoh since 1970 or so and didn't even know it Pentax was still in the game as I was coming back to photography after a 13 year hiatus from it. Did a google search and found this forum. Got a K5. My photos pretty much sucked and I was ready to put it on my anvil take a 4 pound hammer to it. Too many modes and too many bells and whistles were getting in my way and it was very frustrating. Then there was a thread about using the camera in manual mode with old lenses. I took the 55mm f1.8 lens off my Spotmatic II, and used an adapter to mount it on my K5. Suddenly thing started changing.

From there I started learning what each mode actually did and whether it was important to me or not. After that I got a K5-IIs, and a K3 but still something was missing. The photos were good but something like sterile. No real word to describe it.

In early June 2016 I was driving out to Yellowstone from western, NY and stopped a the Camera Cottage camera store in Billings. MT because I wanted to check out a K1. They actually sold Pentax cameras! I had gotten a Nest gimbal head from them and wanted to see the place in person. I picked up a K1 and it "spoke to me". Pulled out the credit card and got it along with the D FA 28-105 lens. A decision I have never regretted.

All I can say is that was the first digital camera I owned that made me stop missing film. The images have what I call a delicious quality to them. I added a K1-II to the stable when they came out and I do not regret that decision either. They are not a great point and shoot camera, but they are a great photographer's camera. It is a camera that the numbers do not define.
Ahh perfect! Love stories like yours. It's an amazing feeling when a camera speaks to you isn't it? People always think i'm crazy when I tell them there is a bond between a photographer and their gear, and they couldn't understand why I couldn't settle with Sony and Fujifilm. Like with you, the K1 series spoke to me almost instantly. It's just a feeling. It's amazing really. I totally agree about the image quality. Images are delightful from the K1 and the K1 II. When I first used the 77mm 1.8 limited on my K1 II and saw the images, I was completely floored! Gorgeous images. Reminded me very much of film days. Also the D FA 28-105mm is a fantastic lens, I use that lens a lot. Would love to see some of your images,
05-29-2019, 11:47 AM - 1 Like   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MJKoski Quote
That is not even quick switch of systems My record is D800E -> Canon 6D -> Olympus OM-D -> NEX-7 -> D600 -> Sony A7 -> Fuji X-E2 in a year. I was an early adaptor of mirrorless...things. Yeah, they were really not so special back then. But the word was out they were so I had to test them out only to find junk mostly.
Why does one have a mind if you can't change it?

05-29-2019, 03:55 PM - 2 Likes   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by brettday Quote
The K1 II had brought the joy back.
That's great!

I had the same experience with the K-1. It made me enjoy photography again as much as the K100D initially did.

Although my K-5 II is vastly superior to the K100D, it didn't have the same effect. The K100D obviously had the bonus of being my first DSLR, but I think there's something about it and the K-1 that make me enjoy photography.

I must say, I didn't like about your article that you came across as liking the K-1 II for its limitations. It seems like a K1000 would be even better for you (exaggeration).

I'm not a believer in gear slowing one down. One ought to chose the right speed of operation without the gear dictating it.

I love the K-1 for what it does right, not for what it doesn't do as quickly or efficiently as other cameras.

Last edited by Class A; 06-15-2019 at 12:01 PM.
06-11-2019, 04:38 PM - 1 Like   #24

I agree that the k1mkii has been one of the most perfect cameras for me. It also sparked my photo joy again.

Currently I'm shooting both K1mkii and Olympus OMD EM1mkii both superb cameras though very very different. Which one do I prefer? it totally depends on the situation
06-11-2019, 09:56 PM - 1 Like   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Enjoyed the article a lot. Absolutely understand your point. Photography is my hobby and it needs to be fun.

Learned photography using a new Pentax Spotmatic. Switched to Olympus OM. loved both systems. After 30 years photography wasn't as exciting. Had done many of the things I wanted. Then DSLRs finally fell under $1000. Tried the Rebel and Nikon. Nope. No joy. Picked up a Pentax *ist DS. Instant love. Simple, straight forward camera design with easy to navigate menus. Also have 4/3 & micro 4/3 because of all the OM lenses. Not near as much fun to use.

Now I'm tying to decide between a KP or K-1 body.
Thanks for the uplifting article,
barondla

Last edited by barondla; 07-19-2019 at 10:19 PM. Reason: Pentax was a DS not DL. Still have it.