Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-28-2019, 09:12 AM - 2 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
An article on the K-1MKII

How My Journey For a Perfect Camera Landed me on Pentax's Doorstep

05-28-2019, 09:19 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

It's good to see Pentax get some recognition.

I wonder about the author. They went from Canon -> Sony -> Fuji -> Pentax in a 2 year period. There is no "perfect" camera.
05-28-2019, 09:22 AM - 5 Likes   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
I wonder about the author. They went from Canon -> Sony -> Fuji -> Pentax in a 2 year period. There is no "perfect" camera.
That's the thing I noticed, too. The guy sure seemed to go through systems in a hurry. I also kept thinking of something my brother used to say all the time..."It's a poor workman who blames his tools."
05-28-2019, 09:30 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
This is exactly the same story as the previous thread!

From Canon to Sony to Fuji but saving the best for last... Pentax? - PentaxForums.com

05-28-2019, 12:29 PM - 8 Likes   #5
Forum Member

Thanks for sharing the link to my recent article. Much appreciated. As for going through systems fairly quickly, I was able to tell the other systems (Fujifilm and Sony) weren't for me pretty early on. I simply know what I like personally in camera systems and those two just didn't fit what I needed. As soon as the K1 II was in my hands though I knew it was the one for me. Hope you enjoyed the read.
05-28-2019, 12:42 PM - 2 Likes   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by brettday Quote
Thanks for sharing the link to my recent article. Much appreciated. As for going through systems fairly quickly, I was able to tell the other systems (Fujifilm and Sony) weren't for me pretty early on. I simply know what I like personally in camera systems and those two just didn't fit what I needed. As soon as the K1 II was in my hands though I knew it was the one for me. Hope you enjoyed the read.
Given 'silver' - be it a silver cloud or silver lining - Pentax users are very good at finding the 'gray' - gray lining in silver cloud or gray cloud around silver lining. As soon as you said something good about Pentax equipment, some users just had to find a weakness in you or in your selection procedure or in your evaluation procedure.
05-28-2019, 12:50 PM - 2 Likes   #7
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
It's good to see Pentax get some recognition.

You can ask me any questions you like if it will help stopping the wondering. After 17 years with Canon I knew pretty early on the other two systems weren't for me. You're right, there is no perfect camera, but the K1 II is the perfect camera for me, even if it isn't for other people.

---------- Post added 05-28-19 at 01:01 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Given 'silver' - be it a silver cloud or silver lining - Pentax users are very good at finding the 'gray' - gray lining in silver cloud or gray cloud around silver lining. As soon as you said something good about Pentax equipment, some users just had to find a weakness in you or in your selection procedure or in your evaluation procedure.
It's understandable really. As a writer in the photography field, I have people questioning my preferences, and likes day in and day out so I am used to it. All's well that ends well though. I haven't been this happy, nor have I been so invigorated in regards to my photography in a long time. The K1 II had brought the joy back.

Last edited by brettday; 05-28-2019 at 01:02 PM.
05-28-2019, 01:20 PM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

At about the middle of the article, I got the feeling that the author was full of it. But towards the end he started making sense.

Perhaps photography should not be too easy. Auto focus, auto exposure and whatever may make things easier, but if the experience is dull then there is no point to it.

Myself, I like using manual focus lenses on a MILC. To be specific, (mostly) Pentax lenses on a Samsung NX1. I mostly use the screen, with the OVF only needed for critical focusing.

I have rediscovered my M28/2.8. It turns out that it works pretty well for street photography. Not too wide, just right. I could just use one of my NX mount zooms that cover 28mm but it is not quite the same. For the street, AF can be a hindrance. You don't AF to hang up while the moment passes. You could MF the modern marvels, but there is little feel in the focus-by-wire ring. The old school Pentax lenses all have a nice weight to the focus ring that modern AF lenses cannot provide.
05-28-2019, 01:25 PM - 1 Like   #9
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
At about the middle of the article, I got the feeling that the author was full of it. But towards the end he started making sense.

Perhaps photography should not be too easy. Auto focus, auto exposure and whatever may make things easier, but if the experience is dull then there is no point to it.

Myself, I like using manual focus lenses on a MILC. To be specific, (mostly) Pentax lenses on a Samsung NX1. I mostly use the screen, with the OVF only needed for critical focusing.

I have rediscovered my M28/2.8. It turns out that it works pretty well for street photography. Not too wide, just right. I could just use one of my NX mount zooms that cover 28mm but it is not quite the same. For the street, AF can be a hindrance. You don't AF to hang up while the moment passes. You could MF the modern marvels, but there is little feel in the focus-by-wire ring. The old school Pentax lenses all have a nice weight to the focus ring that modern AF lenses cannot provide.
Glad you thought I made sense towards the end of the article. The K1 II has certainly brought joy back into photography for me, and at the end of the day, that is what's important
05-28-2019, 01:54 PM - 2 Likes   #10
Veteran Member

That is not even quick switch of systems My record is D800E -> Canon 6D -> Olympus OM-D -> NEX-7 -> D600 -> Sony A7 -> Fuji X-E2 in a year. I was an early adaptor of mirrorless...things. Yeah, they were really not so special back then. But the word was out they were so I had to test them out only to find junk mostly.
05-28-2019, 02:02 PM - 1 Like   #11
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MJKoski Quote
That is not even quick switch of systems My record is D800E -> Canon 6D -> Olympus OM-D -> NEX-7 -> D600 -> Sony A7 -> Fuji X-E2 in a year. I was an early adaptor of mirrorless...things. Yeah, they were really not so special back then. But the word was out they were so I had to test them out only to find junk mostly.
Hahaha, Yeah that's some quick switching for sure. Makes me look like I was going backwards . It is really quite apparent when you pick up a camera and use it for just a short while if it is going to be right for you though. There is nothing wrong with playing the camera field, especially when you consider how much money in future investments (lenses etc) will likely be made. Every time I switched I sold my previous gear so that it wasn't a huge strain financially. The Sony's and Fujifilm cameras are great, they just aren't for me though. Glad I landed on Pentax's doorstep. Thanks for sharing your trip, hope you enjoyed reading about mine in the article.
05-28-2019, 02:37 PM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

Yes I found similarities there. Interesting. I have owned K-1 Mk2 since it was introduced in 2018 and this is kind of a record of keeping a single camera body for me. I have to admit I lost quite a bit of money when jumping systems so I decided to quit such "hobby" after a while. Sure, it was fun every now and then, but did not result in better pictures :]
05-28-2019, 02:41 PM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

Enjoyed the article. I started with a K-5, at the time best IQ for the dollar, and stuck with the brand. The K1 was amazing; the low light capabilities got me more shots than the quicker K3. The K1 II is even better. I shoot wildlife and it has changed my photography. It isn't simply capturing a subject, it is about composing a photo. I don't miss any, the focus is better than the K3, and I can let the ISO wander into netherland and still get a good shot. The colors and richness of IQ raises the bar for me, I have to work harder to find the limits of this camera.

Each to his own of course. I shoot with people using almost everything imaginable, and we all get lovely shots.
05-28-2019, 02:45 PM   #14
Forum Member

Yes I found similarities there. Interesting. I have owned K-1 Mk2 since it was introduced in 2018 and this is kind of a record of keeping a single camera body for me. I have to admit I lost quite a bit of money when jumping systems so I decided to quit such "hobby" after a while. Sure, it was fun every now and then, but did not result in better pictures :]
Oh I agree. New cameras do not result in better pictures at all, but having a camera you're comfortable with will certainly go a long way to making the experience much more enjoyable, which in turn will likely inspire the user to shoot more often, which will likely lead to the photographer making better images It's awesome you have kept the camera so long. For me 5.5 years is my max for one camera (Canon 5D II).

---------- Post added 05-28-19 at 02:50 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
Enjoyed the article. I started with a K-5, at the time best IQ for the dollar, and stuck with the brand. The K1 was amazing; the low light capabilities got me more shots than the quicker K3. The K1 II is even better. I shoot wildlife and it has changed my photography. It isn't simply capturing a subject, it is about composing a photo. I don't miss any, the focus is better than the K3, and I can let the ISO wander into netherland and still get a good shot. The colors and richness of IQ raises the bar for me, I have to work harder to find the limits of this camera.

Each to his own of course. I shoot with people using almost everything imaginable, and we all get lovely shots.
Same here. I shoot with people who use all brands, and just like your friends, they all get great shots. Really any modern camera is capable of producing beautifully detailed images, and they can all render gorgeous colors, at the end of the day it just comes down to what feels best to you in the hand, and what system has the lenses that you want to use. I capture wildlife images too, along with landscapes for fun. On the business side of things I shoot portraits, and do a lot of corporate work. The K1 II hasn't let me down. Shooting with it is a joy.
05-28-2019, 10:52 PM   #15
Pentaxian

But the word was out they were so I had to test them out only to find junk mostly.
The digital camera business model is stuck on it's own ceiling. To make things worse, with camera sale volumes going down, the best idea camera makers came up with was to increase prices and increase their advertising budgets, which hurts even more. Pentax is still positioned as a value brand, which is a good thing.