Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-01-2019, 11:16 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Disable green button for back-button focus?

Hi, I just tried to use back button focus in my K1, and just being my first time I can't say I felt the improvement yet since old habits keep getting in the way, but one problem i discovered is that I now hold my thumb, to be ready to hit the af button fast, in a way that easily touches the green button when just carrying the camera in the handstrap. This of course leads to many wrongly exposed pics unless chimping a lot to detect the error...

So my question is; is there a way to disable or re-configure the green button? I shoot in manual mode 100% and I've more or less never used it so I won't miss it.

I guess in time I will get used to it and not touch the green button by mistake, but to make the transition less painful, is there a way to configure the camera so this won't be aproblem?

(Tried to search but mostly found questions about half-press disabling, and that one I found..)

06-01-2019, 12:04 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Igor123 Quote
So my question is; is there a way to disable or re-configure the green button?
The short answer is that if a secret disable feature exists, it is truly a dark secret that likely will require a ritual initiation and blood oath.

Steve
06-01-2019, 12:13 PM - 1 Like   #3

Original Poster
Oh, I see...well then, were do I sign up and send the blood? I can only send a liter or so per week, but I guess more will be needed for such a out-of-this-world feature? =)
06-01-2019, 12:33 PM - 3 Likes   #4
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Menu->5 Button Customization->E-dial Programing->2 M

Lets you set the green button to no function.

06-01-2019, 12:47 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 77me Quote

Thanks a lot!

..and without a drop of blood spilled! =) . But to try to regain a little bit of my honor; it was hidden below "e-dial programming", so the green button is one weird-looking dial =)
06-01-2019, 01:52 PM   #6
amateur dirt farmer / mod
Loyal Site Supporter

when I switched to BBF, it felt unnatural - so I committed to using BBF for a solid month during one of the Single In months - by the end of the month, it was a complete and natural conversion...

all my bodies are now BBF, even the fully-manual K-5...
06-01-2019, 02:05 PM - 1 Like   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 77me Quote

QuoteOriginally posted by Igor123 Quote
Thanks a lot!

..and without a drop of blood spilled! =) . But to try to regain a little bit of my honor; it was hidden below "e-dial programming", so the green button is one weird-looking dial =)
There goes my plans for a new secret society and for a steady supply of blood.

To be honest, I forgot that the green button may be "turned off" for some modes and "turned on" for others. The main challenge is to cover all the modes and to remember that you have done so should you want to do something like meter with vintage lenses.*

Steve

* There is a work-around, but telling you would involve blood.
06-03-2019, 08:01 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The short answer is that if a secret disable feature exists, it is truly a dark secret that likely will require a ritual initiation and blood oath.
It turned out consulting the manual was all that was needed. Granted, for many that equates to what you described.