Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-10-2019, 04:25 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pentax K1 mk 2 lens question Pentax 15-30mm

New here in these forums. Not new to Pentax though—my first real camera was a Spotmatic F that served me well for many years. I have recently purchased a K1 mk 2 body and am considering the purchase of the Pentax HD FA 15-30 f/2.8 lens. I noticed however that there are no threads for a filter. While I don't typically use filters, I do employ a circular polarizer and sometimes ND filters. Is that not possible with this lens? Are there alternatives in this range where a filter can be utilized?

Thanks for your suggestions and guidance.

Joe
Instagram: @joeinwv

06-10-2019, 05:30 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome!
The DFA 15-30 does not have threads as you say. There are some third party solutions for filters such as this one: amazon.com : Haida 150 Series Filter Holder for Tamron 15-30mm f/2.8 Di VC USD lens : Camera & Photo?tag=pentaxforums-20& But of course they are going to be expensive.

Circular polarizer is not likely to be useful on the 15-30 due to the wide angle but ND filters are another story. If you need that wide and ND filters then take a look at the Haida system above. I've elected to not use filters on my 15-30 and use the DFA 24-70 when I want to use ND filters, its wide enough for my purposes but YMMV.
06-10-2019, 05:46 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The DFA 15-30 is an excellent fit with the K-1. I love the combination. Can't recommend it enough. I do use ND filters with it, with the Haida system as recommended above by @jatrax. Going to a 150mm system is pricey, there isn't much escape from that but for me well worth it. I love using the ND's with the lens. I have not invested in a CPL yet but I'm sure I will at some point. It's useless for sky given the wide angle aspect of the lens, but great for taking the shine off of surfaces in damp forest environments. It's on my list of "many things I need" (and on my wife's list of "many things I don't need" ha!).
06-10-2019, 07:44 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jbrennskag Quote
New here in these forums. Not new to Pentax though—my first real camera was a Spotmatic F that served me well for many years. I have recently purchased a K1 mk 2 body and am considering the purchase of the Pentax HD FA 15-30 f/2.8 lens. I noticed however that there are no threads for a filter. While I don't typically use filters, I do employ a circular polarizer and sometimes ND filters. Is that not possible with this lens? Are there alternatives in this range where a filter can be utilized?

Thanks for your suggestions and guidance.

Joe
Instagram: @joeinwv
IN addition to the 15-30mm, don't forget the excellent Pentax FA-28-105mm for general walkabout purposes. The lens was designed with the K-1 series in mind and is the next step after the 15-30.....well built, fairly compact and weather resistant

06-10-2019, 08:24 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Fotodiox also makes a nice system - Wonderpana. It supports both circular threaded filters and drop in rectangular. They do make a CPL, which I have. It can be used judiciously with good results - beware of uneven skies and use accordingly. Look really hard at the combinations of kit. My recollection is you can buy it the expensive way or the much more expensive way. If you do go for the CPL, be cautioned that reviews I read really panned the uncoated one for flare. It's around $100. I bought the multicoated one. Pricey ($200), but think it's the right way to go if you want one. Here's a search result at B&H to get you rolling:

The multicoated CPL:

FotodioX 145mm Circular Polarizer Multi-Coated WNDPN145-CPL-SL

Variety of kits with ND filters etc. - check out the ones with brackets too:

fotodiox tamron 15-30 | B&H Photo Video
6 Days Ago   #6
Pentaxian

Wonderpana holder for Tamron 15-30 works. And YES, AVOID the non-coated CPL. I had a complete Wonderpana set for Canon TS-E 17mm lens and had to really hunt for multicoated filter.
6 Days Ago   #7
Pentaxian

The 15-30 is going to allow a lot of opportunities that other full frame lenses that do not have its width at the short end may not. Though its original build does not allow screw on filters, the other non screw on systems may serve the filter purpose (holder and filters). I also have a K-1 II, but I use my K-3 II for landscape, which allows me to use my Pentax 16-85 lens that can utilize screw on ND or polarizer filters.

Good luck with your decision. Happy shooting!
6 Days Ago   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
i use the Lee 150 system for the Pentax 15-30. Works a treat

5 Days Ago   #9
Pentaxian

just marking the thread

for future reference