Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-11-2019, 01:33 PM - 1 Like   #16
Pentaxian

Much of the K-1 weight is due to its exceptionally sturdy construction. It's a heavier camera than other Pentax models. I often wish it was lighter for all-day hikes, but it's not too heavy, if that makes sense.

Lens choice makes more of a difference than camera body IMO. The K-1 with a light lens (DFA 28-105, anything in the Limited series) is comfortable enough to keep in my hand for extended periods. The K-1 plus the heavy DFA 15-30 is more of a challenge and often goes back into my bag when walking between photo locations.

06-11-2019, 01:50 PM - 1 Like   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have the Pentax K-1 II. The weight is reasonable and it is very comfortable to handle.
06-14-2019, 06:30 AM - 1 Like   #18
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have been using a K-S2, K-70 and KP for quite some time now (K-70 still my favorite of that trio). So my first impression when taking the K1 II out of the packaging? It's HUGE....

Then after using it for just an hour or so it doesn't FEEL that huge. In fact it's pretty comfortable, and doesn't feel heavy at all. So far only used the FA77 and 31 on it, but will give the *200 and maybe 300 a go on Saturday while also carrying a K-70 which will give me a better idea if weight might be an issue with larger lenses. I suspect it won't be.
06-14-2019, 06:54 AM - 2 Likes   #19
Pentaxian

Much has been said already. I have K5 and K1, plus my wife has KP.
  • The K1 is a bit heavier than the K5, but I feel it balances better and has better ergonomics - especially with larger lenses. Maybe because it is small for a full-frame, that the density makes it feel heavier than it actually is.
  • The KP is intentionally smaller and lighter, with surprisingly good IQ.
If you are using smaller lenses, go with the KP. If you fancy ultimate IQ, the K1 and DFA*50 takes some beating; but robust camera and class leading optics has a cost in money and weight. Good luck!

06-14-2019, 07:08 AM - 1 Like   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Thanks for the replies. Still trying to decide between KP and K-1.
Thanks,
barondla
Both make outstanding images! To me, the deciding factor that I consider when trying to decide whether to take a full frame vs an APS-C camera boils down to depth of field and bokeh. Assuming similar lens quality and speed, the full frame will have less DOF. So, if you're a bokeh nut like I am, you're better off with a full frame.

The K-1 is not overly heavy. From a weight/balance perspective, the size/weight of the lens you put onto the K-1 is more of a factor when it comes to handheld comfort than is the actual weight of the K-1 camera. Put a Pentax LTD lens on a K-1 and it's easy to handhold. I recently purchased an extremely large/heavy Leica Telyt-R 350mm f/4.8 lens. I adapted it and tried it out on my K-1 camera. This lens make the camera uncomfortably heavy and non-handholdable.

Last edited by Fenwoodian; 06-14-2019 at 07:15 AM.
06-15-2019, 01:55 PM - 1 Like   #21
Pentaxian

I had the K20D, didn't like it, in spite of it giving me some of my best images. It was too big and clumsy for me. The K5 that replaced it was my dream of a camera (still is). The K-1 is bigger, heavier but fits so well in my hands. I use it on pretty demanding hikes, and the size and weight doesn't bother me at all. I guess it's more about psychology than physics.

Kjell
06-18-2019, 11:49 AM - 1 Like   #22
Pentaxian

Keep hearing the K-1 is a beast size and weight wise. Is the K-1 body as big and heavy as a K10 or 20D with battery grip? I own both and find them fairly comfortable to carry and use.

Thanks,
barondla
It depends on what lens you have on it.

06-22-2019, 04:33 AM - 1 Like   #23

I have both the K3ii, and the K1ii, yes the K1ii is slightly heavier, but the balance, hand holds and control layout, offsets any negatives on the extra weight. You just don't notice it in use.
06-22-2019, 05:31 AM - 1 Like   #24
Pentaxian

I've never analyzed why, but my K-1 feels better than my K-3. And although I know it weighs more, I'm just saying that because I know it does. If you asked me to differentiate based on weight, I wouldn't. I really don't care on way or the other. It's the lens package I take with me that might make the difference. Th K-1 requires more lenses and heavier lenses to cover the same range.
06-22-2019, 07:20 PM - 1 Like   #25

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I've never analyzed why, but my K-1 feels better than my K-3. And although I know it weighs more, I'm just saying that because I know it does. If you asked me to differentiate based on weight, I wouldn't. I really don't care on way or the other. It's the lens package I take with me that might make the difference. Th K-1 requires more lenses and heavier lenses to cover the same range.
I was using the k3ii today on a macro setup. The first thing that I noticed is how much smaller it seems to the K1ii. The second thing was control layout, the K1ii is soooo much more user friendly.
06-25-2019, 04:19 AM - 1 Like   #26
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
I’ve got hands like shovels, so size matters... bigger the better for me.
06-25-2019, 10:48 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for all the answers. I decided to give it a try. Bought a used K-1 body from a PF member. Should arrive next week. Thanks,
barondla
06-25-2019, 02:02 PM   #28
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Bought a used K-1 body
Good for you, enjoy it once it arrives.
06-25-2019, 02:07 PM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Keep hearing the K-1 is a beast size and weight wise. Is the K-1 body as big and heavy as a K10 or 20D with battery grip? I own both and find them fairly comfortable to carry and use.

Thanks,
barondla
I would say K-1 is similar to my K10D with Grip and two batteries but the K-1 button placement is more ergonomic and comfortable.
07-05-2019, 12:38 PM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I went from the K-3II to the K-1 and the weight increase was noticeable. However, the grip on the K-1 is so much better that holding the K-1 for a long time is actually easier than the K-3II (for my hands anyway).
I did the same thing... K-3ii to the K-1ii. I don't really notice any difference in weight but I DO find the grip on the K-1 more comfortable, especially when I'm out chasing BIF, etc. for an extended period of time. And I felt some regret at seeing how relatively small that top display is on the K1... but at least it's clear enough!

Last edited by Oktyabr; 07-05-2019 at 05:20 PM.