Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 21 Likes Search this Thread
06-11-2019, 09:08 PM - 1 Like   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I shoot both, depending on what I'm doing, Sometimes even with a 600mm, the birds are so far away, As derekkite and others have said, crop mode is all I need to be saving, and in that mode, you can see whats outside your frame you are capturing, nice when panning and following a bird in flight.

I too, also like the 1:1 crop mode, great with DA lenses, and quite a good format for certain pics. I kinda wished that in a few firmware updates, Pentax had given us APS-H crop mode as another option, would be good for most DA lenses, and save a few meg on the SD card . Get the most possible megapickles in frame, without needing to crop vignetting, and pick up the framerate over FF. OR even, give us a custom crop setting, so we could make our own crops sizes, with framerates that change accordingly.

Last edited by cmohr; 06-11-2019 at 09:19 PM.
06-11-2019, 10:22 PM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
1:1 crop mode works with many APS-C lenses. That uses the full height of the K-1 sensor and gives you 24mp.
That! And buffer on the K1 is deeper, almost infinite for bursts in apsc mode.

---------- Post added 12-06-19 at 07:24 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
You also will get better AF coverage of the scene when shooting the K-1 in crop mode than you would with the K-5.
Yes, correct. Good point.
06-11-2019, 10:46 PM   #18
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kiwi_jono Quote
Agree with this. I have both also and really impressed with the K-1 - features, IQ and ergonomics.
If you were coming from a K-5 IIs (no anti aliasing filter) then the difference would be closer but the K-1 still has may positives IMO.
Main disadvantages going to K-1 is cost, a little extra system size (although for me I'm using Limited lenses anyway so difference minimal for me) + weight and frame rate slower (not that bothers me at all).
I uprgraded from K5 to K1ii. To me the only disadvantage has been shutter shock. 1/250 is good, but if my desired combination goes below that I'm forced to do compromises. Lower IQ, smaller aperture, higher ISO or using live view with electronic shutter. On tripod live view is easy solution and no problem, but hand held I would like to use OVF. This bothers me so much that when Pentax release FF body with shutter shock solved I will upgrade

I haven't used crop mode. I had only two apsc lenses. One is on sale and other I stuck on K5 in case my family needs a camera. For me there's no going back. I like how much better my lenses are in their native format. But since OP has a lot of apsc lenses and plans to shoot a lot in crop mode anyway, I would consider if KP would be a better choice after all.
10-09-2019, 06:55 PM   #19

QuoteOriginally posted by iheiramo Quote
I uprgraded from K5 to K1ii. To me the only disadvantage has been shutter shock. 1/250 is good, but if my desired combination goes below that I'm forced to do compromises. Lower IQ, smaller aperture, higher ISO or using live view with electronic shutter. On tripod live view is easy solution and no problem, but hand held I would like to use OVF. This bothers me so much that when Pentax release FF body with shutter shock solved I will upgrade
I'm planning to do the same. What do you mean by shutter shock??

10-09-2019, 10:16 PM   #20
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by a_chernysh Quote
I'm planning to do the same. What do you mean by shutter shock??
First explanation offered by google: What is Shutter Shock and How to Mitigate It

It seems that the lenses I used in early summer were prone to suffer from shutter shock. It hasn't been such a problem lately. How severe it is depends on the lens used. On some I can shoot hand held at any speed I like and on some there's just no go below 1/250. On tripod I switch to liveview and ES before I take a shot which eliminates the problem completely.

I don't really have good examples left as I delete all the nonkeepers, but here are two from the time I noticed the problem. Both taken with M*300 on tripod at f11 with 3s delay and IR remote. One with regular shutter and the other with electric shutter.

10-10-2019, 12:22 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The 3s delay locks the mirror up before the shutter fires so there is little likelihood that it is shutter shock ruining your image. I have the M*300 and used it for years on digital. I would never think of using it at f/11 due to diffraction setting in. Shutter shock is more likely with light lenses which the older 300 definitely is not.
10-10-2019, 01:53 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
The 3s delay locks the mirror up before the shutter fires so there is little likelihood that it is shutter shock ruining your image
MLU does nothing to prevent shutter shock. It will prevent mirror slap if it exists. My experience with the K1 shows shutter shock exists only with a long footed lens on a tripod. MLU makes no difference, it is the shutter that causes the shock. Never seen it handheld. I just avoid 1/60 - 1/200 range on a tripod or use ES in LV

10-10-2019, 02:53 AM   #23

I have K5, K5iis and K1ii. Increased dynamic range of the K1ii is the major difference. Also nice to use FF lenses in their native format. Although I haven't used apsc lenses on the FF yet, from testing there are a few favourites like the Sigma 30mm f1.4 that I would happily use in 1x1 crop mode.
10-12-2019, 01:39 PM - 1 Like   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
K-1 in APS-C crop mode gives almost the same exact pixel count as the K-5. The K-1 has no antialiasing filter so photos look a little sharper.

Noise from the K-1 is smoother than from the K-5, so you can boost shadows more during processing.

1:1 crop mode works with many APS-C lenses. That uses the full height of the K-1 sensor and gives you 24mp.

Red colors on the K-1 also look better because it uses a better infrared blocking filter than from the K-5. It's subtle but significant when photographing the Milky Way or flowers. My opinion is based on DNG format and Lightroom processing; different workflow might give different results with red colors.
Thx, DeadJohn. I intend to use your suggestion to use the square crop when shooting with my APS-C lenses on my K-1. Had not thought of that.

---------- Post added 10-12-19 at 04:52 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
I shoot crop mode on my K1 only when I want a faster frame rate. Otherwise It is full frame. The worst is some vignetting, but even then I get more real estate than cropped mode.

If I'm shooting cropped mode, typically long lenses for wildlife, I still have the full frame field of view in the viewfinder, which is quite useful even if the shot is cropped.
Thx, MrNPhoto & derekkite. Good info about frame rate & buffer depth. I'll try that with my APS-C lenses on my K-1. Does it also improve cont. autofocus capture?
10-12-2019, 07:51 PM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Buckeyemikie Quote
Thx, DeadJohn. I intend to use your suggestion to use the square crop when shooting with my APS-C lenses on my K-1. Had not thought of that.

---------- Post added 10-12-19 at 04:52 PM ----------

Thx, MrNPhoto & derekkite. Good info about frame rate & buffer depth. I'll try that with my APS-C lenses on my K-1. Does it also improve cont. autofocus capture?
The K1 mark II doesn't slow down in continuous autofocus in either mode.
10-27-2019, 04:59 PM - 1 Like   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Have a fair number of lenses. APS-c includes 10-17 FE zoom
The 10-17FE at 15mm on a K-1 (not using crop mode) gives pretty much the same coverage as it does at 10mm on the K-5.
10-27-2019, 09:01 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by johnha Quote
The 10-17FE at 15mm on a K-1 (not using crop mode) gives pretty much the same coverage as it does at 10mm on the K-5.
Good to know. Must play with this lens on the K-1. Will probably movebit from the crop camera bag to the ff one.

If the new 10-17 is used, without hood, how much wider can it go before cutting off corners?
Thanks,
barondla
10-31-2019, 02:07 AM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I wasn't keen to use FF mode during one year ! Because of the difference of the field of view, I was more comfortable in crop mode...
Don't make the same error. FF rocks !