Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-11-2019, 09:08 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I shoot both, depending on what I'm doing, Sometimes even with a 600mm, the birds are so far away, As derekkite and others have said, crop mode is all I need to be saving, and in that mode, you can see whats outside your frame you are capturing, nice when panning and following a bird in flight.

I too, also like the 1:1 crop mode, great with DA lenses, and quite a good format for certain pics. I kinda wished that in a few firmware updates, Pentax had given us APS-H crop mode as another option, would be good for most DA lenses, and save a few meg on the SD card . Get the most possible megapickles in frame, without needing to crop vignetting, and pick up the framerate over FF. OR even, give us a custom crop setting, so we could make our own crops sizes, with framerates that change accordingly.

Last edited by cmohr; 06-11-2019 at 09:19 PM.
06-11-2019, 10:22 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
1:1 crop mode works with many APS-C lenses. That uses the full height of the K-1 sensor and gives you 24mp.
That! And buffer on the K1 is deeper, almost infinite for bursts in apsc mode.

---------- Post added 12-06-19 at 07:24 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
You also will get better AF coverage of the scene when shooting the K-1 in crop mode than you would with the K-5.
Yes, correct. Good point.
06-11-2019, 10:46 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kiwi_jono Quote
Agree with this. I have both also and really impressed with the K-1 - features, IQ and ergonomics.
If you were coming from a K-5 IIs (no anti aliasing filter) then the difference would be closer but the K-1 still has may positives IMO.
Main disadvantages going to K-1 is cost, a little extra system size (although for me I'm using Limited lenses anyway so difference minimal for me) + weight and frame rate slower (not that bothers me at all).
I uprgraded from K5 to K1ii. To me the only disadvantage has been shutter shock. 1/250 is good, but if my desired combination goes below that I'm forced to do compromises. Lower IQ, smaller aperture, higher ISO or using live view with electronic shutter. On tripod live view is easy solution and no problem, but hand held I would like to use OVF. This bothers me so much that when Pentax release FF body with shutter shock solved I will upgrade

I haven't used crop mode. I had only two apsc lenses. One is on sale and other I stuck on K5 in case my family needs a camera. For me there's no going back. I like how much better my lenses are in their native format. But since OP has a lot of apsc lenses and plans to shoot a lot in crop mode anyway, I would consider if KP would be a better choice after all.