Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-11-2019, 02:29 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Does K-1 in crop mode match K5?

If I get a K-1 it will spend a fair amount of time in APS crop mode. This would be giving up resolution vs the KP. How does cropped K-1(II) compare to K5 or K-01. At least equal? Better? Resolution should be similar but how about dynamic range, high ISO, etc?

Seems to be 2 ways to approach moving to K-1.

1. It's a do everything body. Using APS-c crop it matches the K-01 and works well for macro & telephoto use. Full frame adds other capabilities.

2. At least half the time I'd be using crop mode. Which means a much bigger, more expensive camera to get the same quality I already have. Sigh.

Thanks,
barondla

06-11-2019, 03:00 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
1. It's a do everything body. Using APS-c crop it matches the K-01 and works well for macro & telephoto use. Full frame adds other capabilities.
Yes!

I expect to be corrected (in part) by somebody here that's more in the know than I am, but the pixel dimensions between the crop mode and a K-5 should both be about identical as will be the pixel size/pitch. (36 MP/2.25 = 16 MP). As for the dynamic range, noise, etc, you will be getting the output of a later sensor chip design (newer by about ~5 years) and better processing algorithms which should equal a bit better dynamic range.

I assume you'll be using the K-1 in crop mode a lot because you already have a good selection of APS-C glass. If you are making a transition, except for the size of the body, you're not going to loose anything here.
06-11-2019, 03:01 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

If I get a K-1 it will spend a fair amount of time in APS crop mode. This would be giving up resolution vs the KP. How does cropped K-1(II) compare to K5 or K-01. At least equal? Better? Resolution should be similar but how about dynamic range, high ISO, etc?

2. At least half the time I'd be using crop mode. Which means a much bigger, more expensive camera to get the same quality I already have. Sigh.

Thanks,
barondla
Yes, sensor-wise, its about the same as the K-5. You do gain additional features, like better SR, the GPS and astrotracer and many other things.
06-11-2019, 03:17 PM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

At least half the time I'd be using crop mode.
What crop lenses do you have? Many can be used in FF mode with minor vignetting.

06-11-2019, 03:30 PM - 2 Likes   #5
Pentaxian

K-1 in APS-C crop mode gives almost the same exact pixel count as the K-5. The K-1 has no antialiasing filter so photos look a little sharper.

Noise from the K-1 is smoother than from the K-5, so you can boost shadows more during processing.

1:1 crop mode works with many APS-C lenses. That uses the full height of the K-1 sensor and gives you 24mp.

Red colors on the K-1 also look better because it uses a better infrared blocking filter than from the K-5. It's subtle but significant when photographing the Milky Way or flowers. My opinion is based on DNG format and Lightroom processing; different workflow might give different results with red colors.
06-11-2019, 04:03 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
What crop lenses do you have? Many can be used in FF mode with minor vignetting.
Have a fair number of lenses. APS-c includes 10-17 FE zoom, 16-45, 18-55, 55-300, and DA*300 Pentax lenses. Also a Sigma 8-16 zoom.

I shoot a lot of different things. Landscapes and low light should benefit from full frame. Wildlife and macro not so much. So I'd would probably use ff lenses in crop mode at times.
Thanks,
barondla
06-11-2019, 04:05 PM - 2 Likes   #7
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks,
barondla
Having both, I can confirm that the K-1 (in crop mode) produces much better images than the K5.
Having said that, I generally don't bother selecting crop mode as I prefer to have the whole image and I crop that in Lightroom as needs be. I have one lens that vignettes a bit around the corners on the K-1 and the Rokinon fisheye makes for lots of wasted pixels on the K-1, but it matters not. The K-1II's images are a big step up from the K5.

06-11-2019, 04:07 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

So I'd would probably use ff lenses in crop mode at times.
I don't understand the point of that, but I'm sure you'll be happy either way.
06-11-2019, 04:23 PM - 2 Likes   #9
Pentaxian

I shoot a lot of different things. Landscapes and low light should benefit from full frame. Wildlife and macro not so much. So I'd would probably use ff lenses in crop mode at times.
Thanks,
barondla
From what you've said, I'm not sure why you would be considering a K-1 instead of using a KP.
06-11-2019, 04:34 PM - 2 Likes   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
I don't understand the point of that, but I'm sure you'll be happy either way.
I do it a lot. It’s an easy way to crop and saves space on the card... it also gives me a touch more telephoto when I brought the wrong lens... without disrupting my eventual workflow.

-Eric
06-11-2019, 04:39 PM - 2 Likes   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Having both, I can confirm that the K-1 (in crop mode) produces much better images than the K5.
Having said that, I generally don't bother selecting crop mode as I prefer to have the whole image and I crop that in Lightroom as needs be. I have one lens that vignettes a bit around the corners on the K-1 and the Rokinon fisheye makes for lots of wasted pixels on the K-1, but it matters not. The K-1II's images are a big step up from the K5.
Agree with this. I have both also and really impressed with the K-1 - features, IQ and ergonomics.
If you were coming from a K-5 IIs (no anti aliasing filter) then the difference would be closer but the K-1 still has may positives IMO.
Main disadvantages going to K-1 is cost, a little extra system size (although for me I'm using Limited lenses anyway so difference minimal for me) + weight and frame rate slower (not that bothers me at all).
06-11-2019, 06:26 PM - 3 Likes   #12
Veteran Member

You also will get better AF coverage of the scene when shooting the K-1 in crop mode than you would with the K-5.

K-1:

K-5:
06-11-2019, 07:26 PM - 1 Like   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Have a fair number of lenses. APS-c includes ...... and DA*300 Pentax lenses.

The DA* 300 lens is fully FF compatible complete with lens correction profiles.

if you do your own cropping on your computer there is no need to shoot in crop mode. The perceived "extra reach" in crop mode is an illusion.
06-11-2019, 07:44 PM - 1 Like   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
if you do your own cropping on your computer there is no need to shoot in crop mode.
Frame rate and buffer depth are two good reasons to shoot in crop mode on the K-1. Also, the fact that the area outside the crop is visible through the viewfinder makes it somewhat easier to track or anticipate a subject that is moving into the frame, more so with a telephoto like the 300mm.
06-11-2019, 07:57 PM   #15
Pentaxian

I shoot crop mode on my K1 only when I want a faster frame rate. Otherwise It is full frame. The worst is some vignetting, but even then I get more real estate than cropped mode.

If I'm shooting cropped mode, typically long lenses for wildlife, I still have the full frame field of view in the viewfinder, which is quite useful even if the shot is cropped.