Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Using card slot 1 for the update ?

06-17-2019, 09:41 PM   #17
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Whatever resulted in the file being modified may be to blame, though I wonder how that happened.

Comparing the hash of your file to the expected hash might shed some light on whether or not anything was actually changed in the file itself.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-18-2019, 05:24 AM   #18

Original Poster
Here's a screen shot of the properties on the zip file. If I extract with the box unchecked the extracted file has different dates, but if I check it the dates are the dates inserted by Pentax.

Last edited by Smoke665; 04-11-2020 at 02:50 PM.
06-18-2019, 05:28 AM   #19

Original Poster
And here is a screen shot of the properties on the extracted file with the box checked before extracting. Note the security block is gone, and the dates reflect Pentax's dates. Now compare that to earlier posts of the properties, on page one, by both myself and Mark.

Last edited by Smoke665; 04-11-2020 at 02:50 PM.
06-18-2019, 07:32 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

How are you unzipping it ? You should just right click the zip file and select "extract all".
06-18-2019, 09:06 AM   #21

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
How are you unzipping it ? You should just right click the zip file and select "extract all".
I am, not my first rodeo. The blocking think was an issue that popped up sometimes, thanks to Win Attachment Mgr., in earlier versions of Windows, but I've not seen it happen in Win 10. What I think is happening is that it is blocking some parts of the file from extracting. I have what I think is a good version extracted now, but before I risk damage to my camera, I'm waiting to verify with Pentax support.............If I can ever reach them.
06-18-2019, 11:26 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Ok

Just going to repeat my question....."are you using slot 1" ?

06-18-2019, 12:02 PM   #23

Windows quarantines "unsafe" files download from networks (including the Internet) unless the site is in a "safe zone". Checking the "unblock" box doesn't always work. Some workarounds:

Download with a non-Microsoft browser. Then move the file to another folder from where the file was saved to before unzipping it. Sometimes just moving file works even if downloaded with IE or Edge.

How to Disable security blocking:
Disable downloaded files from being blocked in Windows 10
Win10: How to remove security block for downloaded files. - September 2015 - Forums - CNET
How to unblock files downloaded from Internet in Windows 10

Also make sure the card is in slot 1 and that the BIN file is in the root folder - the same folder containing the DCIM folder (if any).
06-18-2019, 12:34 PM   #24

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
How to Disable security blocking:
Thanks for the response, but I'm aware of how to unblock a zipped file. See my above posts.

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
Just going to repeat my question....."are you using slot 1" ?
Yes. Again thanks for the response but not my first firmware update.

I suspect that I've fixed the problem by unblocking the file then extracting, but what I don't know is if it will actually work. I have two shoots coming up that I need this camera on, so I'm afraid to risk messing up my camera to try. At least not without some conformation from Pentax that this was the problem. After two days, I still haven't been able to reach them.
07-24-2019, 11:23 AM   #25

Original Poster
Well the update problem continues. I postponed working on it because of a commitment to shoot a wedding and I didn't want to risk problems with the camera, but trying it again.

So far I've tried downloading, unzipping and placing the update file in the root directory of the SD card on three different computers. Each time I get the same result when I try to update the camera. When I turn on the camera while holding the menu button, per instructions, the update screen comes up. I select start and the screen says loading. After a few seconds the the update stops and a message comes up "unable to complete update, there is problem with the file".

I guess it's back to tech support to try and resolve
07-24-2019, 04:23 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Smoke665 Quote
Well the update problem continues. I postponed working on it because of a commitment to shoot a wedding and I didn't want to risk problems with the camera, but trying it again.

So far I've tried downloading, unzipping and placing the update file in the root directory of the SD card on three different computers. Each time I get the same result when I try to update the camera. When I turn on the camera while holding the menu button, per instructions, the update screen comes up. I select start and the screen says loading. After a few seconds the the update stops and a message comes up "unable to complete update, there is problem with the file".

I guess it's back to tech support to try and resolve
Following your latest post, I bit the bullet and did the 1.02 to 1.03 firmware update.

I can confirm that, like previous times, when I did firmware updates with the K-5, this went faultlessly. For reference, I'm using a Windows 10 Pro machine.

I followed this update procedure: (As per the Ricoh website)
1. Provide a formatted SD memory card for the update software.
The download file is self-extracting. The following file is extracted.
Fwdc240b.bin: This is the updated firmware.
Copy the above Firmware file [fwdc240b.bin] to the root directory in the SD card.
If your computer does not have a card slot, you can copy the firmware update file by inserting the SD card into your camera and then connecting the camera directly to your computer.

2. Insert the D-LI90 battery into the camera and confirm the battery is full by battery level indicator then turn the camera off.

3. Insert the update SD card (prepared in step 1) into the camera (slot 1) and close card cover.

4. Turn the camera power on while pressing the MENU button.

5. "Updates the camera firmware" appears in the LCD monitor.
Ver: 1.01/1.02→1.03 will be displayed.

6. Press the four-way controller to select "Start" and press the "OK" button.

7. "NOW LOADING" appears on the LCD monitor and updating starts.
Please do not under any circumstances switch off the power before the update is completed.

8. When update is completed, the "COMPLETE" will be displayed at the left bottom of the LCD monitor, then turn the camera off.

9. Remove the update SD card from the camera.
*Confirm the version of firmware with above [How to check version].

After that, I reformatted the card.

Attached, a screenshot of the .bin file on the newly formatted memory card, once extracted, and a photo of the rear display of the camera just prior to performing the update. I did not photograph the "NOW LOADING" and "COMPLETE" screen displays, but those showed up exactly as per the instructions copied above.
Attached Images

View Picture EXIF
SM-J610G  Photo 
07-24-2019, 06:44 PM   #27

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Following your latest post, I bit the bullet and did the 1.02 to 1.03 firmware update.

I can confirm that, like previous times, when I did firmware updates with the K-5, this went faultlessly. For reference, I'm using a Windows 10 Pro machine.

I followed this update procedure: (As per the Ricoh website)
1. Provide a formatted SD memory card for the update software.
The download file is self-extracting. The following file is extracted.
Fwdc240b.bin: This is the updated firmware.
Copy the above Firmware file [fwdc240b.bin] to the root directory in the SD card.
If your computer does not have a card slot, you can copy the firmware update file by inserting the SD card into your camera and then connecting the camera directly to your computer.

2. Insert the D-LI90 battery into the camera and confirm the battery is full by battery level indicator then turn the camera off.

3. Insert the update SD card (prepared in step 1) into the camera (slot 1) and close card cover.

4. Turn the camera power on while pressing the MENU button.

5. "Updates the camera firmware" appears in the LCD monitor.
Ver: 1.01/1.02→1.03 will be displayed.

6. Press the four-way controller to select "Start" and press the "OK" button.

7. "NOW LOADING" appears on the LCD monitor and updating starts.
Please do not under any circumstances switch off the power before the update is completed.

8. When update is completed, the "COMPLETE" will be displayed at the left bottom of the LCD monitor, then turn the camera off.

9. Remove the update SD card from the camera.
*Confirm the version of firmware with above [How to check version].

After that, I reformatted the card.

Attached, a screenshot of the .bin file on the newly formatted memory card, once extracted, and a photo of the rear display of the camera just prior to performing the update. I did not photograph the "NOW LOADING" and "COMPLETE" screen displays, but those showed up exactly as per the instructions copied above.
With you all the way down to #7. Now loading appears for a few seconds then stops and the following message appears "unable to complete upgrade there is a problem with the file". At that point only way to exit is to power off.

File size of my extracted file seems to match yours. Would you mind posting screen shots of the properties? I'm on Windows 10 as well,.
07-24-2019, 10:08 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Smoke665 Quote
With you all the way down to #7. Now loading appears for a few seconds then stops and the following message appears "unable to complete upgrade there is a problem with the file". At that point only way to exit is to power off.

File size of my extracted file seems to match yours. Would you mind posting screen shots of the properties? I'm on Windows 10 as well,.
Sure thing. Here it is:
Attached Images

07-25-2019, 05:26 AM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Try two things. Download and extract the firmware again and try the new file with a different, clean sd card. Also be sure you have a full battery. The camera will usually warn you if it thinks the battery is too low but it could be on the edge. Firmware updates on Pentax cameras have been problem free for me for over 10 years.
07-25-2019, 09:17 AM   #30

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Sure thing. Here it is:
Yup same as mine. I've tried it both ways with the "unblock" checked and not checked.

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
Download and extract the firmware again and try the new file with a different, clean sd card. Also be sure you have a full battery
I've scanned the card for errors with none reported, but I've got another card (different brand) I'm going to also try. Always charge overnight before I do an update.