Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-03-2019, 10:55 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: midwest, United States
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,667
Something unexpected about the K-1 and lens compatibility

The K20D prism overhang runs into the rotation lock knobs of the Pentax A 200 macro. A Kenko 25mm Uniplus extension tube lives on the lens as a work around. Surprised the K-1, lacking a built in flash, causes the same problem. So I refitted the Kenko and the corners of the image look much darker. Have to do more testing but it appears the Kenko vignettes on a full frame camera. Anyone else run into this?
Thanks,
barondla

07-03-2019, 11:22 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
bilybianca's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Hassleholm, Sweden
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 248
Not good. Is it the same with the FA*200mm Macro?

Kjell
07-04-2019, 01:50 AM   #3
Pentaxian
Paul the Sunman's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Melbourne
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,104
QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
The K20D prism overhang runs into the rotation lock knobs of the Pentax A 200 macro. A Kenko 25mm Uniplus extension tube lives on the lens as a work around. Surprised the K-1, lacking a built in flash, causes the same problem. So I refitted the Kenko and the corners of the image look much darker. Have to do more testing but it appears the Kenko vignettes on a full frame camera. Anyone else run into this?
According to the most recent review in the PF lens reviews (by MKohoutek), the rotation knob hitting the body is only when the lens is rotated to portrait orientation. Is that your experience? Can you use your tripod head to rotate when required instead?
07-04-2019, 09:48 AM - 1 Like   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 32,924
I wonder if there was an issue with cameras, flash, or power winders of the day; for example, the prism housing on my Super Program is very tight to a few of my lenses. I wonder if there are similar issues with the Pentax-K 28/3.5 Shift.

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
According to the most recent review in the PF lens reviews (by MKohoutek), the rotation knob hitting the body is only when the lens is rotated to portrait orientation.
It was the review by ich947 (LINK). They were bothered by clearance to the grip too, so apparently rotated from the opposite direction as an option?

Before today, I was only vaguely aware of this lens. The graceful integration of a tripod mount is pure genius for a macro lens at this focal length in that it easily facilitates placement to a focus rail. If not for the price and relative rarity, I would be hankering for one. Even with the price and rarity, I still want one.


Steve

07-04-2019, 02:06 PM - 1 Like   #5
On Hiatus. Back Later.
Loyal Site Supporter
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Flyover Country
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 24,446
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I wonder if there was an issue with cameras, flash, or power winders of the day; for example, the prism housing on my Super Program is very tight to a few of my lenses. I wonder if there are similar issues with the Pentax-K 28/3.5 Shift.

Steve
@stevebrot Which camera(s) would you like me to mount the K28/3.5 shift to test it?
07-04-2019, 02:14 PM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
pschlute's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Surrey, UK
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,063
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Which camera(s) would you like me to mount the K28/3.5 shift to test it?
All of them please
07-04-2019, 04:51 PM - 2 Likes   #7
On Hiatus. Back Later.
Loyal Site Supporter
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Flyover Country
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 24,446
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
All of them please
That’s gonna take a while.

Active Gear List
07-04-2019, 10:56 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: midwest, United States
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,667
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bilybianca Quote
Not good. Is it the same with the FA*200mm Macro?

Kjell
I don't have the FA 200 macro so not sure if it has clearance issues. From the illustration posted the FA looks like it only has one locking knob. The A series 200 has two at about 8 and 4 o'clock. Think I can work around it with the ballhead. May check to see if one of the big knobs can be replaced with sonething something smaller.

Surprised the Kenko appears to be vignetting with FF. Will look into this more and perhaps modify the light baffles to pass a bigger beam of light. Remember at the time the Kenko was the only tube with A contacts and AF. In this case AF isn't needed. Does anyone else make A contact extension tubes for Pentax that don't vignette with FF?

Thanks,
barondla

07-05-2019, 09:23 AM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 32,924
QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Surprised the Kenko appears to be vignetting with FF. Will look into this more and perhaps modify the light baffles to pass a bigger beam of light. Remember at the time the Kenko was the only tube with A contacts and AF. In this case AF isn't needed. Does anyone else make A contact extension tubes for Pentax that don't vignette with FF?
I suspect it may have something to do with the FA 200 Macro and not the tubes. The lens has the Pentax FREE feature where the rear element is at a fixed position and various internal elements float. Adding an extension tube changes that geometry. How that might translate to vignette is outside my expertise, but I do know that the Kenko tubes were designed for FF and that the baffle should not result in a shadow within the frame.*


Steve

* If you have a K-mount film camera, you can check for vignette by observation using the B setting with the film door open and viewing from the rear. I have done this to test hoods; any impingement is readily visible.
07-05-2019, 09:37 AM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian
photoptimist's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2016
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,370
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I wonder if there was an issue with cameras, flash, or power winders of the day; for example, the prism housing on my Super Program is very tight to a few of my lenses. I wonder if there are similar issues with the Pentax-K 28/3.5 Shift.
The Pentax-K 28/3.5 Shift at a full 11mm of shift does fit the K-1 with more than 1mm clearance. (I do wonder if the Samyang/Rokinon 24/3.5 Tilit/Shift fits given that it can shift 12mm.)
07-05-2019, 09:50 AM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian
photoptimist's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2016
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,370
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
* If you have a K-mount film camera, you can check for vignette by observation using the B setting with the film door open and viewing from the rear. I have done this to test hoods; any impingement is readily visible.
Good one!

**You can also do this test from the front: holding the camera & lens at arms length with the lens facing you and the camera back facing a window, looking through the front of the lens at the focusing screen visible in the aperture of the lens, angling the camera until you can see the edge and then the corner of the focusing screen, and seeing if the hood or filter stack is clipping your view of the focusing screen.

P.S: neither vignetting test catches vignetting related to the travel of the IBIS system during SR, astrotracer, or composition adjustment.
07-05-2019, 03:46 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: midwest, United States
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,667
Original Poster
The Pentax Auto Bellows M will not fit the K-1 without an extension tube between them. Lens mount is located too high on the camera body. Causing the bottom of the K-1 to run into the bellows support that slides on the rail. Turning camera 90°either way causes either the grip or af/mf and other lens bezel controls to hit the bellows support. Putting camera on upside down causes the prism over hang to hit. Must use an extension tube to mount K-1 to bellows.

The Kenko UniPlus 25 extension tube doesn't vignette with a Pentax A 35-70 f3.5-4.5 lens. It vignettes very slightly with Pentax DFA 100 macro. So slightly, doubt it would be noticed unless looking for it. The Kenko heavily vignettes with the Pentax A*200 macro. It also vignettes with the Pentax bellows and reversed Nikon El-Nikkor 50mm f2.8 (older non mc lens). Apparently the longer the focal length, the more it vignettes.

Thanks,
barondla
4 Days Ago   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 32,924
QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
The Pentax Auto Bellows M will not fit the K-1 without an extension tube between them. Lens mount is located too high on the camera body. Causing the bottom of the K-1 to run into the bellows support that slides on the rail.
The Bellows Unit K* will probably work with the rear standard positioned fully back. I own one and its rear standard has no extensions on the back such that it is compatible with most film and digital bodies, some even with motor drives, winders, or grips attached.


Steve

*The simple and compact version Pentax K-mount bellows.
4 Days Ago - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
bilybianca's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Hassleholm, Sweden
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 248
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The Bellows Unit K* will probably work with the rear standard positioned fully back. I own one and its rear standard has no extensions on the back such that it is compatible with most film and digital bodies, some even with motor drives, winders, or grips attached.


Steve

*The simple and compact version Pentax K-mount bellows.
I can confirm what Barondla says, it takes a 12 mm extension tube to mount the bellows to the K-1.

Kjell
3 Days Ago   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 32,924
QuoteOriginally posted by bilybianca Quote
I can confirm what Barondla says, it takes a 12 mm extension tube to mount the bellows to the K-1.

Kjell
Interference with the Auto Bellows K and Auto Bellows M with the K-1, K-3, and K-3II and potentially other recent bodies is fairly well known. I was suggesting a different bellows (Bellows Unit K), which has about 2mm clearance at the rear standard with the K-3/K-3II* and has been reported to clear the K-1. Have you tried the K-1 with either the Bellows Unit K or Bellows Unit M?


Steve

* I own this bellows and use it with the K-3 in both portrait and landscape orientation. The grip will interfere if rotated clockwise to portrait orientation; likewise, there will be interference with the prism housing if landscape is attempted with the camera upside down. I would expect problems for both on the K-1 too.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
dslr, full frame, full-frame, k-1, k-1 and lens, k1, kenko, lens, pentax k-1
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Unexpected donation Johnontheroad Site Suggestions and Help 2 01-15-2019 02:15 PM
Landscape Unexpected Bokeh UncleVanya Post Your Photos! 16 08-31-2018 09:24 PM
D-FA* 50mm f1.4 - something unexpected........ LennyBloke Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 17 08-03-2018 01:40 PM
Something new, something old, something awesome! RaduA Pentax DSLR Discussion 18 03-06-2008 11:27 AM
something cute and something creepy to me little laker Post Your Photos! 6 05-23-2007 09:47 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:40 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top