Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-09-2019, 10:18 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Well, sadly but returning hot pixel

I found dead/hot pixel in my new K-1 II. But strange is that this pixel is not permament, and appears on some pictures in the same place. Not all pictures has it but.... I'm so disappointed

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1 Mark II  Photo 
07-09-2019, 10:26 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hot pixels are a reality with any digital camera and can't really be prevented. Some are permanent, others aren't. Luckily, the camera has a feature called pixel mapping which automatically (and permanently, from the photographer's perspective) makes hot pixels go away

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-09-2019, 10:39 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Some PP software automatically disregard those, if you shoot RAW.
Just like Adam said, no big deal at all
07-09-2019, 10:47 AM   #4
Lev
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
Some PP software automatically disregard those, if you shoot RAW.
Just like Adam said, no big deal at all
well, not a big deal maybe for used ones...

07-09-2019, 10:56 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

One bad pixel out of 36 million? I could live with that.
07-09-2019, 11:08 AM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Lev Quote
well, not a big deal maybe for used ones...
Even for new cameras. If you read the warranty card, they say hot pixels (even on day 1) are normal and that they won't repair or replace a camera for this reason

I know it might feel like a bummer when you've invested in a shiny new camera, but it's likely a feeling everyone has gone through at one point or another- I know I definitely did when I got my first "good" Casio point and shoot. However, it's really not a big deal once you see it's just a limitation of the technology, rather than a defect in the camera.

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-09-2019, 11:25 AM   #7
Lev
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Even for new cameras. If you read the warranty card, they say hot pixels (even on day 1) are normal and that they won't repair or replace a camera for this reason

I know it might feel like a bummer when you've invested in a shiny new camera, but it's likely a feeling everyone has gone through at one point or another- I know I definitely did when I got my first "good" Casio point and shoot. However, it's really not a big deal once you see it's just a limitation of the technology, rather than a defect in the camera.
I've used in-menu dust removal feature and now there are 3 pixels!! what the hell guys???

07-09-2019, 12:07 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've used in-menu dust removal feature and now there are 3 pixels!! what the hell guys???
Oops, sounds like a dust issue, not a pixel issue. I have 4 dead pixels on my 1st D and they are always in the same spot.....have been for years...
07-09-2019, 01:13 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stihlmania Quote
Oops, sounds like a dust issue, not a pixel issue. I have 4 dead pixels on my 1st D and they are always in the same spot.....have been for years...
Exactly, dead pixels don't move around. Something else is going on.
07-09-2019, 01:51 PM   #10
Lev
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Exactly, dead pixels don't move around. Something else is going on.
no, it doesn't move. So far as I've discovered It appears based on ISO and shutter speeds. I've made 30s long exposure image and I couldn't believe my eyes. Black image is full of these hot pixels.. It's like a chrismtas tree. I'll post this image shortly.

As a tradition, did absolutly same on K3. Very interesting thing is happening, long exposure with same settings as on K1 - nothing! BUT when doing short exposure - there is only a single hot pixel like in K1, but just one.

so... this is it
07-09-2019, 02:03 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You don't map dead or hot pixels with Dust Removal and those Pixels don't return once they are mapped and the camera accounts for them. As others have said you seem to have a dust problem.

Larry
07-09-2019, 02:07 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
They could be hot pixels, stuck pixels, whatever.
The hot temperatures in this time of the year aren't helping.
But, as I said, it's nothing to worry about.
07-09-2019, 03:40 PM   #13
Lev
Veteran Member

Original Poster
here's image, long exposure:

not visible on small image but if you open original you can easily spot many of them

07-09-2019, 06:49 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Try using the map Pixels feature in the menu. AFAIK, hot pixels don't appear on the photos but dust and stains do. you may need to have the sensor cleaned.
07-09-2019, 06:58 PM - 1 Like   #15
Administrator
Site Webmaster

no, it doesn't move. So far as I've discovered It appears based on ISO and shutter speeds. I've made 30s long exposure image and I couldn't believe my eyes. Black image is full of these hot pixels.. It's like a chrismtas tree. I'll post this image shortly.

As a tradition, did absolutly same on K3. Very interesting thing is happening, long exposure with same settings as on K1 - nothing! BUT when doing short exposure - there is only a single hot pixel like in K1, but just one.

so... this is it
You should enable the setting called "slow shutter speed noise reduction". This will eliminate hot spots from long exposures, which arise due to heat (and are also normal and will happen with just about any camera). This setting will also effectively double your exposure time, but it works very well.

Adam