Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-16-2019, 12:36 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Did anyone mention that you should expect more light in Africa than in Canada. That alone probably speeds up AF performance of any camera.
Yep, and practice, practice, practice.

07-16-2019, 12:57 PM   #17
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
Did anyone mention that you should expect more light in Africa than in Canada. That alone probably speeds up AF performance of any camera.
Yep, and practice, practice, practice.
now, now

don't go spreading rumors -

isn't there parts of Canada where the sun never disappears [ well, at least for some parts of the year ] ?

" A 24 hour to 20 hour daytime which varies per the proximity to the pole, for an extended time period, that essentially means that for weeks and months altogether it is bright and sunny! These places obviously have a specific geographical location, close to the poles of the earth. This phenomenon occurs because the Earth is tilted on its axis by approximately 23 degrees. At the poles, North Pole and South Pole, this means that the sun only rises and sets once each year.

These phenomena are observed more near the North Pole, the Arctic Circle, owing to it having human settlements. And even though they also occur in southern regions near the Antarctic Circle, owing to it being an uninhabited continent, it is only ever experienced by scientist missions or the odd adventurer. The maximum timelines for this phenomenon are: At the South Pole, the sun rises on September 21 and does not set until March 22, the following year. At the North Pole, the sun rises on March 22 and sets on September 21, the same year.

There are many countries with areas within or bordering the Arctic Circle to where you can plan your exotic holiday. Some of these areas include the northernmost parts of Canada, Greenland, Finland, Norway, Sweden, Russia, Alaska and Iceland. "

5 Places Where Sun Never Sets - Hello Travel Buzz
07-16-2019, 02:36 PM   #18

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tduell Quote
I am a bird shooter and use the K-3 II and K-1 and the DFA 150-450.
I find very little difference between these two bodies in the time to lock onto a subject.
Technique has a big effect. I find I get focus lock much quicker these days than when I was starting out.
The focus limiter is also your friend in this regard, and I typically have mine set on '6m-inf'. With the limiter set on 'full' it can take longer to lock on.
I would also say that relative to other cameras that I have seen in action when I'm shooting, these two combinations are as good or better in the time to lock on...not to be confused with focus tracking.

Cheers,
Terry
Yes AF-C 16 points works well, but I still have some delay before the focus lockup.
Can you share your menu setup for this lens,
Also are you using the focus Red dots (SEL) or black dots (AF)
Thanks
07-16-2019, 04:19 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gerardbaron Quote
Yes AF-C 16 points works well, but I still have some delay before the focus lockup.
Can you share your menu setup for this lens,
Also are you using the focus Red dots (SEL) or black dots (AF)
Thanks
I almost exclusively shoot AF-C, back-button focussing and more often than not single focus point.
If your subject isn't large, and you are handholding (some shake and movement) and using AF-C with multiple focus points the camera will often be switching from one focus point to another which results in lost time to lock on and also to locking onto something other than the subject.
My settings are as follows (C3)
16. First frame action in AF-C 3-Focus-priority
17. Action in AF-C continuous shooting 1-Focus priority
18.AF Hold status 1-Off.

The latter setting (18) I find best for BIF shooting, but may need to be reset to low or medium if shooting against a background other the sky.

As others have said, practice.

Cheers,
Terry

07-16-2019, 04:26 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jacobus2 Quote
Oh dang, I've messed up and confused everything with my typo. I am considering upgrading from my K-3 to a K-1ii (not K-3ii). Terribly sorry for the confusion.
No worries!
07-16-2019, 04:57 PM   #21
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jacobus2 Quote
. . . Oh dang, I've messed up and confused everything with my typo.. . . .
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
No worries!
it has been rumored that some members occasionally make mistakes in their posts

not that I am one of those

I tend to do it quite often

[ some of us have even been known to reorganize the alphabet: Alphabet Race (a very quick game) - PentaxForums.com ]