Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-15-2019, 06:10 PM   #1

K-3 vs K-1 with DFA 150-450 lens. AF question.

I have been loving the images I get from the Pentax DFA 150-450, using my K-3. I primarily use it for wildlife photography. However, I have sometimes been disappointed by missing shots due to slow AF locking. Recently I returned from northern Michigan, where I feel I lost quite a few opportunities to failure to lock focus quickly. Mostly I use AF.S mode.

Next year I will be in Africa! Lifetime opportunity for wildlife photography! I certainly intend to use this excellent lens, but I am wondering if I would be happier with the K-3ii body, especially considering that it is, after all, a FF lens.

So, my question is this: Do you think I will experience better auto-focus performance (both speed and accuracy) using the K-3ii with the DFA 150-450 compared to using my K-3?

07-15-2019, 06:14 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jacobus2 Quote
.... but I am wondering if I would be happier with the K-3ii body, especially considering that it is, after all, a FF lens.
The K-3ii is an APS-C camera body. Do you mean the K-1ii?
07-15-2019, 06:44 PM   #3
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

I wonder if the OP has read these " in depth " reviews:

QuoteQuote:
Today we are ready to present a full in-depth review using a K-1 full-frame camera body. We will revisit the construction, handling, and focus speed on full frame, and analyze the optical performance including sharpness, bokeh, aberrations, distortion, vignetting.
Read more at: HD Pentax-D FA 150-450mm F4.5-5.6 Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

QuoteQuote:
Although this lens was designed with the soon-to-be-released full frame DSLR in mind, it also works wonders on current APS-C bodies such as the Pentax K-3, K-S2, and K-3 II. We of course couldn't wait half a year to start testing it, so in this preliminary in-depth review, we will be evaluating the lens solely based on its performance with the aforementioned DSLRs. It other words, we will only be working with a cropped portion of the image circle.
Read more at: HD Pentax-D FA 150-450mm F4.5-5.6 Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

Last edited by Sandy Hancock; 07-17-2019 at 12:45 AM. Reason: Formatted for readability
07-15-2019, 07:09 PM - 1 Like   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

You will see a marginal tracking improvement with either the K-3 II or K-1 II, but I feel like this might be more of a technique/settings thing; have you tried AF.C at all?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-15-2019, 07:48 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote

Yes, I know I'd be moving from APS-C to full frame, and the changes that entails. The DFA 150-450 is the only FF lens I have and I intend to keep the K-3 as well. Based on reviews I am also hoping for and expecting better low-light (e.g. higher ISO) performance. I just wanted to "focus" my question on the specific issue of auto-focus performance.
07-15-2019, 07:49 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks you, I will study these reviews.

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
I wonder if the OP has read these " in depth " reviews:

Today we are ready to present a full in-depth review using a K-1 full-frame camera body. We will revisit the construction, handling, and focus speed on full frame, and analyze the optical performance including sharpness, bokeh, aberrations, distortion, vignetting.

___________________________________-

Although this lens was designed with the soon-to-be-released full frame DSLR in mind, it also works wonders on current APS-C bodies such as the Pentax K-3, K-S2, and K-3 II. We of course couldn't wait half a year to start testing it, so in this preliminary in-depth review, we will be evaluating the lens solely based on its performance with the aforementioned DSLRs. It other words, we will only be working with a cropped portion of the image circle.

07-15-2019, 08:29 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I am wondering if I would be happier with the K-3ii body, especially considering that it is, after all, a FF lens.
You may see marginal improvement in AF performance with the K-3ii simply due to incremental firmware tweaks, but both share the same SAFOX 11 AF system. I, personally, would not trade up from my K-3 to a K-3II anticipating better AF. As for the lens being FF, that makes no difference. The speed to acquire is partially a property of the camera and greatly a matter of the speed of the in-lens focus motor and the amount of adjustment needed.*

Steve

* Prefocus to anticipated distance is a help in the field.

07-15-2019, 08:30 PM - 1 Like   #8

Original Poster
Well, you might be right, I will keep an open mind. In the past I have tried AF.C, though not with this lens. I recall that it could be helpful with larger subjects, but not so much with small birds in flight. And not helpful locking focus initially, which is my main problem. I have had the experience of standing side by side with a friend shooting birds in flight with a Canon 70-300, also using AF.S, and her gear was faster than mine at acquiring focus. Purely anecdotal I realize. I will continue to experiment with different AF modes and patterns.

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
You will see a marginal tracking improvement with either the K-3 II or K-1 II, but I feel like this might be more of a technique/settings thing; have you tried AF.C at all?

---------- Post added 07-15-19 at 08:55 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote

Oh dang, I've messed up and confused everything with my typo. I am considering upgrading from my K-3 to a K-1ii (not K-3ii). Terribly sorry for the confusion.
07-15-2019, 08:55 PM   #9
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

before buying a K 1 or K 1 II

you might consider renting equipment to do your own trials.

take a look at this thread:

Information on Businesses that offer cameras and lenses for rent - PentaxForums.com

currently, with " coolteen " Lensrentals.com is cutting 20 % off rentals starting before July 26

We're Officially A Teenager!

Get 20% off your next order.

Use code COOLTEEN

RENT NOW

one use per customer | order must arrive by 7.26
07-15-2019, 09:29 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have had the experience of standing side by side with a friend shooting birds in flight with a Canon 70-300, also using AF.S, and her gear was faster than mine at acquiring focus. Purely anecdotal I realize. I will continue to experiment with different AF modes and patterns.
I'll repeat the advice from a Canon user who posts on this forum, Dan Rentea, to practice on gulls in parking lots, etc. to develop your technique. Generally speaking, longer focal lengths require more advanced technique to get the best results and while the focus preset buttons on the DFA 150-450 will help, it takes planning and practice to make them work for you. The accelerator chip in the K-1 II apparently helps with continuous (tracking) auto-focus, but you will give up a lot of magnification by going from APS-C to FF and with smaller birds, that's not a good thing. If you are trying to capture birds in flight with continuous shooting (the K-3 has a faster frames per second rate than the K-1), you probably have no choice but to use AF.C instead of AF.S. By all reports, the DFA 150-450 is an excellent lens, but getting consistent results with birds in flight is pretty challenging with any equipment.

Or you can stick with slower birds: (taken with the manual focus SMC A 70-210)
07-15-2019, 09:46 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
AF.C and 9 or 25-point autofocus is what I use on the K1 for birds in flight. You won't get everything, but you'll get enough. More important than the equipment is anticipation and patience.
07-15-2019, 09:48 PM - 1 Like   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I am a bird shooter and use the K-3 II and K-1 and the DFA 150-450.
I find very little difference between these two bodies in the time to lock onto a subject.
Technique has a big effect. I find I get focus lock much quicker these days than when I was starting out.
The focus limiter is also your friend in this regard, and I typically have mine set on '6m-inf'. With the limiter set on 'full' it can take longer to lock on.
I would also say that relative to other cameras that I have seen in action when I'm shooting, these two combinations are as good or better in the time to lock on...not to be confused with focus tracking.

Cheers,
Terry
07-16-2019, 01:14 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You post some excellent BIF shots with the K-3II/150-450 combo, Terry.
07-16-2019, 02:28 AM   #14

Worth learning to use Back Button Focussing as well, using the " AF " button on the back of the camera
07-16-2019, 02:35 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by microlight Quote
You post some excellent BIF shots with the K-3II/150-450 combo, Terry.
Thanks.

Cheers,
Terry