Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-23-2019, 06:14 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Replacing my K-1........which do I get ?

When I jumped into the 645Z system about 6 months ago I had to sacrifice a lot !
A bunch of lenses got sold and my K-1 went Bye Bye to fund the Beast !
Well.....Now its time to replace it and Im having a hard time deciding if I should go with the original ? Or the K-1 II ?
Ive read some conflicting info that the original was better because it didn't have Baked in noise reduction or something like that ?
Well.....I mainly do landscapes.
Any help is appreciated as Im less than a Month to replace it......Thanks

07-23-2019, 06:42 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You will do landscapes at lower ISOs probably, so the whole thing about the Accelerator will not affect you that much.

I think the AF is supposed to be a bit better in the II? Again, probably not something that will make a lot of difference in your case.
07-23-2019, 06:42 PM - 1 Like   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Ronald Oakes Quote
When I jumped into the 645Z system about 6 months ago I had to sacrifice a lot !
A bunch of lenses got sold and my K-1 went Bye Bye to fund the Beast !
Well.....Now its time to replace it and Im having a hard time deciding if I should go with the original ? Or the K-1 II ?
Ive read some conflicting info that the original was better because it didn't have Baked in noise reduction or something like that ?
Well.....I mainly do landscapes.
Any help is appreciated as Im less than a Month to replace it......Thanks
At this point, since only the K-1 II is available new, I would go for that. You also get better AF performance with it compared to the original.

Some arguments can be made against in the accelerator chip, but in practice the K-1 II is the better camera when it comes to image quality (arguably by a hair).

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-23-2019, 08:58 PM - 2 Likes   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If you already have the 645Z, do you really need a FF camera as well? Might the KP be a better option for when you need a more compact kit?

07-23-2019, 10:27 PM - 4 Likes   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
If you already have the 645Z, do you really need a FF camera as well? Might the KP be a better option for when you need a more compact kit?
Yuuup !
I have the Pentax KP
I just simply want my K-1 back as I have a dozen nice FF lenses.
Believe me....It has nothing to do with NEED......lol.
07-23-2019, 11:45 PM - 1 Like   #6
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Well just ask to buy back your old K1......nicely ofcourse
07-23-2019, 11:59 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Did you read the comparison review of the Mark I and Mark II?

Pentax K-1 Mark II vs K-1 Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

Differences are marginal, only the AF-S did really increase. And there is the new hand-held pixle shift.

The sensor is the same, so you had the in built in noise reduction with the MK I as well.
There is much to much fuss about this. RAW format was never unprocessed, how should the pixlewise readout of a sensor get into a RAW file without processing the physical data? By a magic wand probably. The sensor manufacturer did a good job by improving the sensor read out and some people think it affects their possibilities, but no one came up with any negative example, on the contrary the K1 is praised for it's outstanding RAW image quality.
Do not bother about that.

Only reason for me to buy the MK I is the pricing.

07-24-2019, 01:53 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Papa_Joe Quote
The sensor is the same, so you had the in built in noise reduction with the MK I as well.
That's not true. In Mark II you cannot disable noise reduction.
07-24-2019, 02:32 AM - 1 Like   #9
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by fs999 Quote
That's not true. In Mark II you cannot disable noise reduction.
I think the point was that you can't disable the "baking" of raw files on any camera.

We all have different limits for the level of "baking" we find acceptable, though. From what I've seen I would happily go with a Mark II. My K-1 "classic" is already a fantastic performer, though, and the upgrade wouldn't be worth it - for me.
07-24-2019, 02:44 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In that case get both (used), test the baking and see what you think (share your results!), then sell the one you don’t like.

Or . . . just wait for the Mark III . . .
07-24-2019, 04:13 AM   #11
Unregistered User

Yuuup !
I have the Pentax KP
Your FF lenses will work just fine on the KP; no, even better than fine. Unless you need some feature the K-1 has and the KP does not (e.g., built-in GPS), I'd stick with the status quo. I find the KP works better than the K-1 in a lot of ways, and you've got the big-resolution thing covered with the 645.

Btw, I've noticed the price of the K-1 from those who still have them in stock, has gone up substantially. Demand is high and supply is increasingly limited.
07-24-2019, 06:43 AM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

I had decided that I would sell my K1, my FA limited and other lenses. Essentially I was going to leave the Pentax DSLR system. I got into the Fuji system mainly for my video projects and liked the still quality too. I was going to keep the Fuji as my everyday camera and possibly get the 645Z for my fine art and landscape work. At the end, I just could not bring myself to let my K1 go. It is just as much of a beast today as it was when it was released almost four years ago. Given the quality of the K1, I think it is a damn good alternative to 645Z.
07-24-2019, 07:17 AM - 2 Likes   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
I think the point was that you can't disable the "baking" of raw files on any camera.

We all have different limits for the level of "baking" we find acceptable, though. From what I've seen I would happily go with a Mark II. My K-1 "classic" is already a fantastic performer, though, and the upgrade wouldn't be worth it - for me.
My point was to say that with the Mark II you cannot disable NR from 800 ISO and up, but with the Mark I, you can and make your own NR on a raw which hasn't a NR already applied.
07-24-2019, 07:37 AM   #14
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

My point was to say that with the Mark II you cannot disable NR from 800 ISO and up, but with the Mark I, you can and make your own NR on a raw which hasn't a NR already applied.
Good point - I wasn't aware of that.
07-24-2019, 10:45 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
So on the MkII I can disable NR below 800 ?

---------- Post added 07-24-19 at 10:53 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by btnapa Quote
I had decided that I would sell my K1, my FA limited and other lenses. Essentially I was going to leave the Pentax DSLR system. I got into the Fuji system mainly for my video projects and liked the still quality too. I was going to keep the Fuji as my everyday camera and possibly get the 645Z for my fine art and landscape work. At the end, I just could not bring myself to let my K1 go. It is just as much of a beast today as it was when it was released almost four years ago. Given the quality of the K1, I think it is a damn good alternative to 645Z.
Kinda how I think and feel at the moment. I LOVE my 645Z and have no intentions on ever parting with it. But as You know....Its a formidable beast carrying in the field and I don't use it all that much at the present time except for dedicated Landscape trips about 4 times a year (hopefully to increase soon)
I replaced my KP recently after a short affair with an Olympus OM-D EM-10ii that although I really liked , the image quality wasnt always there on par with what I could get with the KP !