Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-24-2019, 10:54 AM - 1 Like   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ronald Oakes Quote
So on the MkII I can disable NR below 800 ?
And above, which you can't do with Mark II, and that's why I didn't upgrade...

07-24-2019, 12:36 PM - 1 Like   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums

---------- Post added 07-24-19 at 10:53 ----------

Its a formidable beast carrying in the field ...
Perhaps because for many years I used a Hasselblad 500CM on a tripod in the field, I didn't find my year of owning a 645D to be beastly at all . . . nor my K-1, which is sometimes criticized for being too heavy. I guess it all depends on one's perspective.
07-24-2019, 03:16 PM   #18
Pentaxian

I have a K-1 II. It is a great camera.
07-24-2019, 07:01 PM - 1 Like   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have never read a complaint about the NR on the KP, which also has the Accelerator Unit. Even DPR thought the idea was good - on the KP. They only (disingenuously) objected on the K-1. I know I can shoot KP at ISO 3200 and get the same final image quality (all else equal) as I get on K-1 at ISO 1600. As far as my personal, unscientific opinion goes - from my experience with KP and K-1 side by side all the noise about the “baked” K-1 RAWs is intellectual tomfoolery. KP images are better than K-1 images in available light, STOP, so I suspect K-1 ll images are likewise better.

Is there something I don’t understand?

07-24-2019, 11:50 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Is there something I don’t understand?
Yes. In body NR is not always the best choice. But if your RAW has been NRed and you try to apply your own NR, the result shows loss of details, which is not the case with not NRed RAWs.
07-25-2019, 04:13 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have both and tend to keep my ISO below 400 so no image quality differences. My K1-II does not suffer from shutter shock like my K1 does.
07-25-2019, 04:43 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by fs999 Quote
Yes. In body NR is not always the best choice. But if your RAW has been NRed and you try to apply your own NR, the result shows loss of details, which is not the case with not NRed RAWs.
Loss of detai versus what? Theoretically and perhaps logically versus an unprocessed RAW, but I don’t believe there is any such animal as an unprocessed RAW from any camera. A mathematically derived graph comparing one file theoretically to another just doesn’t convince me of anything that actually matters in real life.

If in body NR is such a big deal on K-1, why wasn’t there such a firestorm about it on KP?

Last edited by monochrome; 07-25-2019 at 04:49 AM.
07-25-2019, 05:44 AM - 3 Likes   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The accelerator isn't a big deal -- saves a bit of time in processing high iso images. I defy anyone to look at my images on Flickr and tell which ones I shot with my K-1 and which ones with the K-1 II without browsing the exif. The auto focus is a touch better on the K-1 II, but that's about it.

I'd get which ever is cheaper and leave it at that.
07-25-2019, 06:46 AM   #24
Pentaxian

Its a formidable beast carrying in the field
I have tried it at trade shows and you are right it is a formidable beast. It is big and heavy but balances nicely when I am holding it. Maybe one day when the prices drop even further, I might consider getting one with a few lenses for the ultimate landscape work. For now, My K1 is my 645Z!
07-25-2019, 06:48 AM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Loss of detai versus what?
If you have only one NR applied. This has nothing to do whith processed or unprocessed. It has to do with in body NR or not in body NR applied.
07-25-2019, 06:54 AM   #26
Pentaxian

So on the MkII I can disable NR below 800 ?
The Protons-to-Photos seem to show noticeable effect of the 'accelerator' at ISO 640 or so. Incidentally the 'accelerator' does so much more than Noise Reduction - color fidelity and Dynamic Range are seriously improved at higher ISO values.
07-25-2019, 07:42 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
The accelerator isn't a big deal -- saves a bit of time in processing high iso images. I defy anyone to look at my images on Flickr and tell which ones I shot with my K-1 and which ones with the K-1 II without browsing the exif. The auto focus is a touch better on the K-1 II, but that's about it.

I'd get which ever is cheaper and leave it at that.
Arlington Camera has both in stock for $200 off. The K-1 is actually more expensive than the K-1II, $1699 Vs $1599....trying to decide.

---------- Post added 07-25-19 at 07:45 ----------

Loss of detai versus what? Theoretically and perhaps logically versus an unprocessed RAW, but I don’t believe there is any such animal as an unprocessed RAW from any camera. A mathematically derived graph comparing one file theoretically to another just doesn’t convince me of anything that actually matters in real life.

If in body NR is such a big deal on K-1, why wasn’t there such a firestorm about it on KP?
Thas what Im trying to figure out ? Does it really matter or what ? I love my images on the KP...…..sooooo…..
07-26-2019, 08:56 PM - 1 Like   #28
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Since I have the "Z" I have decided to hold off on replacing the K-1 in whatever form for now in the immediate future.
Between the Z and my KP Im quite happy.....at least for now.
08-05-2019, 08:16 AM   #29

I have an original K1 that was upgraded and is now a K1 MkII. After hearing about the potential issues of additional noise levels, I went out and recently purchased at a great price a gently used K1. I first performed unscientific tests on whether or not the K1 MkII or the K1 focused faster with my older screw driven FA 77/1.8 Limited, FA31/1.7 Limited, and FA*85/1.4. I could not really see or hear any "significantly" faster AF focusing. Also I cannot detect any significant AF speed difference using the D FA 24-70/2.8 and the D FA 28-105 and the D FA 100/2.8 Macro and the D FA 70-200/2.8 on either bodies. I shot also into some lowlight scenes at night and did not notice a significant difference between the two bodies. I recent was doing some astro shots with both bodies and after looking at only the jpg outputs, I cannot see any real significant difference in the noise. Again, this was unscientific and I have yet to pixel creep any of the RAW files. I labored over getting the MkII upgrade. I originally feared the worse about the noise levels. Now I have both bodies and I do not see significant differences and I have the benefit of another spare K1 body in addition to my K3 body.
08-05-2019, 09:51 AM   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by fs999 Quote
My point was to say that with the Mark II you cannot disable NR from 800 ISO and up, but with the Mark I, you can and make your own NR on a raw which hasn't a NR already applied.
I've yet to see an example of any possible benefit to that.