Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-29-2019, 01:55 PM   #1

K-1 II will not turn off

My K-1 will not turn off, not sure if I should remove battery while it is on. The dials also have no affect on screen.

07-29-2019, 02:01 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes, go ahead and pull the battery out.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-29-2019, 02:02 PM   #3

Original Poster
Okay thanks.

---------- Post added 07-29-19 at 04:05 PM ----------

That was a bit scary. I removed the battery and reinstalled it, now it seems to be okay, however any idea what caused that to happen?
07-29-2019, 02:14 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Freezes can happen occasionally. Usually the underlying cause is a temporary drop in battery voltage, or a spike in usage. Nothing to worry about unless it becomes a common thing.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-29-2019, 02:31 PM   #5

Original Poster
Whew, okay thanks. The battery still had a nearly full charge.
07-29-2019, 04:03 PM   #6
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wings Quote
Whew, okay thanks. The battery still had a nearly full charge.
I had this happen on my K-3 recently... the second or third time since I bought it new, years ago. As Adam says, nothing to worry about unless it becomes a common occurrence... these devices are so complicated now, that the occasional minor glitch is to be expected (my high-end bedside DAB radio locked up last night - it does this every few months or so - and I had to remove the AC/DC power source to switch it off... same kind of thing )...
07-29-2019, 06:35 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I thought my K-1 was locking up at one time, Until I realised it was doing Darkframe Noise reduction, I was in the dark so couldn't see the countdown on the top LCD. so I was pulling the battery out to "unlock" it, all I was doing was losing the milkyway photo I had just taken.. D'oh.

I often get lock-up on the Digital Printing Press I run.... HP Indigo 10000.... Google it, It's not Small. Only way to get it back up is a full power off, 3Phase at the main box, leave if for 15-20mins for all the power on all the boards to deplete, and restart the system. can take up to an hour... Really annoying when it's 5pm and you only had 250 sheets or so to finish a Print job, adds a lot to the day. Software and Firmware is the biggest issue with most of today's computer controlled equipment, regardless of what it is.

07-29-2019, 07:27 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Okay thanks.

---------- Post added 07-29-19 at 04:05 PM ----------

That was a bit scary. I removed the battery and reinstalled it, now it seems to be okay, however any idea what caused that to happen?
What firmware version are you on?
07-30-2019, 06:04 AM   #9

Original Poster
I suppose that is true, but just did not expect it. It is still puzzling though. I just checked the firmware and it is version 1.02.
07-30-2019, 06:43 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The K1 cameras write the image to the SD card very slow. Even slower when writing to two cards. If you shoot multiple images, and then start to review an image and delete it before the cameras stops writing it takes a long time before it completes the task. Sort of locks up the camera for an extra 20 seconds or so. Always look at the LED that flashes when writing an image. Wait until it is off before continuing. Same for K5 and K3 cameras. Less of a issue there because the smaller files write to the card quicker.

Waiting for the queue to clear before deleting any images is a habit that you need to get into for the K1's. Keeping an eye on that little orange LED is important to insure smooth operation.
07-30-2019, 02:55 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I suppose that is true, but just did not expect it. It is still puzzling though. I just checked the firmware and it is version 1.02.
I had it occur quite a few times with my K-5, but never with the K-1II.
10-05-2019, 12:57 PM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
I had it occur quite a few times with my K-5, but never with the K-1II.
It took me by surprise.
10-06-2019, 08:06 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Last time I had some weirdness with the power was with a non-Pentax Battery that was dying. Wasabi I think it was.

The battery went in the trash and I have not had that issue again.

The Wasabi was old. I purchased it for my K-5 in 2014 and this was last year when it started acting up. So I was happy with the battery giving my 4 years of usage. Especially at the price of those batteries.
10-07-2019, 06:25 AM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SirTomster Quote
Last time I had some weirdness with the power was with a non-Pentax Battery that was dying. Wasabi I think it was.

The battery went in the trash and I have not had that issue again.

The Wasabi was old. I purchased it for my K-5 in 2014 and this was last year when it started acting up. So I was happy with the battery giving my 4 years of usage. Especially at the price of those batteries.
Interesting, I would not have thought that a battery would be able to be the cause of that.
10-07-2019, 08:48 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Interesting, I would not have thought that a battery would be able to be the cause of that.
I think the theory is that it may be putting out below minimum voltage or inconsistent voltage.