Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-03-2019, 06:01 AM   #1

Back button focus + AF Select workflow

I found that with BBF (in AF2 mode, disabling shutter half press focus), you have to first lock meter with AE-L if your subject isn't centered.

Then the whole workflow will become:

(Given center-weighted AE is my default)
1) Center subject and meter with AE-L
2) Re-compose
3) Put AF point on subject
4) Press AF
5) Shoot

or Link AE-L point with AF point, then:

1) Compose
2) Put AF point on subject
3) Press AF
4) Shoot

I'm interested in hearing how do you do it?

08-03-2019, 06:32 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For me moving AF points is too slow for shooting moving subjects, I only use AF point selection for macro. I'd use center focus and recompose, letting camera AE to expose for the scene instead of subject only. Link AE to AF point work for point AE, not so much work with center weighted metering, center weighted AE is center weighted regardless of the AF point selected.
08-03-2019, 06:36 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Use AF-C with BBF and focus as needed. This gives you a lot of options and allows for quick changes.
For AF-S the whole thing has little advantage.
08-05-2019, 07:02 AM   #4

Photos: Albums
One other option would be detach AE-L from AF lock, use multi Multi-segment. If you are using a K3 it's pretty accurate.
Focus what you want, either by focus recompose or AF-sel, and let the camera meter by averaging the scene.
If the subject you are trying to capture are to much dynamic, locking exposure might lend to exposure error.
Or, if it is more or less static, you can shot manual, use green button to snap the exposure and shoot whatever focus mode you like.
So many options.

08-05-2019, 08:57 AM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sungibr Quote
One other option would be detach AE-L from AF lock
Excellent idea in general.

Steve