Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
08-12-2019, 07:24 AM - 1 Like   #1

GPS cordinates in my exif

The GPS coordinates in my excif files give the wrong place. The difference between the Exif place in Google maps en the real place in Google maps is about 1000 m. The GPS tracker in the K1 works perfect en gives the exact location. Why is there a difference and how can I get the exact GPS coordinates in the exif files?

08-12-2019, 07:47 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Not sure what you're saying. Does the K-1 list the correct coordinates and then record different (wrong) ones in the EXIF? I've used my K-1 and the EXIF files are spot-on when I go to Google Earth.

The pointing (compass point) coordinates can be affected by local magnetic fields and the camera should be calibrated if you want those accurate, but the actual location coordinates are read from satellite information and should be accurate and record the same as what you see on the K-1 compass display.
08-12-2019, 07:54 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
+/- 50m wouldn't be unbearable. 1000? That's nuts.
08-12-2019, 08:27 AM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wim des bouvrie Quote
Why is there a difference and how can I get the exact GPS coordinates in the exif files?
Perhaps the issue is with Google Maps? The EXIF should report the same value as displayed on the camera. What do you get if you compare with a hand-held GPS?

Steve

08-12-2019, 08:36 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Where were you?

GPS errors can be quite high around dense, high-rise buildings, bridges, cranes, and other metal structures because the satellite signals reflect off the metal in the structures.

GPS is dense forest also suffers from higher errors but 1000 meters seems excessive.

Finally, some sensitive buildings may be guarded by GPS jammers but that seems more like a tin-foil hat scenario than a common problem.
08-12-2019, 08:37 AM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I believe Google maps uses decimal co-ordinates. Does Pentax ?
08-12-2019, 08:54 AM - 1 Like   #7

What country? Some countries use different definitions of the shape of the earth, most places use WGS-84 these days but for example China uses GCJ-02
wgs84 - What causes the GPS offset/shift in China? - Geographic Information Systems Stack Exchange

Google maps, uses the "correct" datum for the local users, but it's "wrong" for data from most international devices.

Most countries use WGS-84 these days though.

08-12-2019, 09:37 AM - 1 Like   #8
Unregistered User

Just brain storming a little... Have you been moving fast between shots? The coordinates you have, did you stop in that position or is it a position you have not been to at all? Maybe the camera did not have the time to update?

My experience with the gps is that it is spot on. Have you calibrated it?

---------- Post added 08-12-19 at 06:52 PM ----------

To put the correct position in the file you can use Adobe Bridge or Lightroom to edit the position. Or you can use a program called ExifTool. ExifTool has a learning curve to it but ones you master it, using the ExifToolGUI, you can edit and add data to the exif.

Last edited by Unregistered User; 08-12-2019 at 01:20 PM.
08-12-2019, 09:59 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome, Wim.

There might be a few things going on here.

1. If you are recording the GPS coordinates direct from the camera, then unless there's a fault with the camera itself then the coordinates should be spot on.
2. I used a Windows10 app called GeoPhoto to GPS-tag photos that didn't have in-camera coordinates - and that gave me a significant error.
3. Google Maps does indeed use decimal, so they have to be converted before you can insert them in software like Adobe Bridge.

For older photos (or ones where I forgot to turn on the GPS...) then I find the location in Google Maps, drop a pin and that gives you the decimal coordinates, then convert to degrees/minutes.m.
08-12-2019, 10:08 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

On my K-70 the GPS logging interval can be set to as high as 1 minute. You'd really have to be moving fast to get that offset. But is it possible the K-1 has a longer logging interval available?
08-12-2019, 11:56 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Try Geosetter, shows the location, shooting direction and camera FOV based on the specific focal length: Download - GeoSetter
08-12-2019, 01:22 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

OK. I just went outside and shot a photo. Using PhotoME, I recovered the EXIF coordinates which can be entered directly in Google Earth without modification (degrees/decimal minutes). Zooming in on the location, the indicated position was 28 feet off (using the Google Earth ruler function).

Please don't critique the photo - my subject wouldn't hold still and it was a grab shot just to test the GPS - also I won't reveal the location for squirrel protection reasons.

I think I've had other shots which were considerably closer than this but 28 feet isn't bad. Just be sure you realize the position recorded is YOUR position and not the position of the subject you took the photo of (assuming you were holding the camera) - duh that makes the error about 29 feet
Attached Images

Last edited by Bob 256; 08-12-2019 at 01:45 PM.
08-12-2019, 01:52 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Is there any lag between turning on a camera with GPS and getting the most accurate fix ?

My cars satnavs often take a bit of warming up because it is poor signal directly where I live.
08-12-2019, 03:42 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I shoot my K-1 with onboard GPS enabled all the time. Yes, there is a warmup period but that mainly affects elevation which is the least accurate of all the GPS outputs anyway. The lat/long output is usually within a few meters right away. BTW, Google Earth and I imagine Google Maps automatically convert any format of lat/long into what it needs internally to do the plot. - Jack
08-12-2019, 05:18 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The OP has left the building but if not, I'd want to see the exif file data. Since apparently his K-1 is accurate per his post, and since the data is recorded in the photo file perhaps there's a mismatch between say the GPX and the image file name or maybe in some conversion of the GPS data to whatever format he's using, which we are unaware of. I haven't heard of the camera having accurate data and then not recording it accurately.