Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
3 Days Ago   #1

Best small tripod for Pentax K1 + 15-30

I have the standard Manfrotto 190 aluminium tripod which works great with the heavy ensemble of the K1 + 15-30, however it's main disadvantage is that it's pretty cumbersome when it comes to transportation and travel.

Are there any lighter, more compact tripods that could do the same job reasonably well?

3 Days Ago - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Dericali Quote
Are there any lighter, more compact tripods that could do the same job reasonably well?
You may get some suggestions but here is my two-pennyworth:

Tripods are meant to be big and heavy. The more weighty your equipment is the more the above is true.

you have a 2 kg bit of kit that needs to be stabilised properly or you might as well not bother. Your current pod is 7kg rated. I suggest that is the minimum you should be using with a k1 +15-30. Your head should match the rating.

A lightweight travel tripod sounds a nice idea but you would do better without if you cannot carry the current tripod.
3 Days Ago   #3

Hah! You should try the 055 Manfrotto; bigger and heavier still... Seriously, you'll need to go carbon fibre to save much weight, plus 4-section legs (assuming your 190 is the 3-section version) to make it more compact. However, a weedy lightweight isn't gonna hold your K-1 and lens combo too steady and more leg sections make more wobbles, so check what weight a new one is rated for and no less than the 7kg rating of your 190. There are good reasons people use big, heavy-rated tripods with heavy-rated tripod heads.

How do you carry it anyway?
3 Days Ago   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
No center Column. Look at Leofoto on Amazon.

3 Days Ago   #5
PEG Gallery Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Hielands o' Scootlund....... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand"..............William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by Dericali Quote
Have you considered a set up like this, it's certainly easy to transport about?

Platypod Max is rated up to 300lbs and the Ballhead (RRS) shown here has a load capacity of just over 50lbs, so there shouldn't be any support issues here.

Platypod Max reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

Really Right Stuff BH-55 Pro with B2 Pro II Clamp reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

Last edited by Kerrowdown; 3 Days Ago at 01:54 PM.
3 Days Ago   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think you can get away with a medium duty tripod for that combo. But, I'd get a fairly good head. In a lot of ways that's at least as critical. Also, if you can get a tripod that has a hook on the bottom to hang a weight on(pack, or bag of rocks). That extra weight can help a lot with stability.

Last edited by SteveinSLC; 3 Days Ago at 01:37 PM. Reason: Typo
3 Days Ago   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have two Sirui brand tripods. I would recommend them. They are sturdy and well styled.
3 Days Ago   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Leofoto LN-364C Systematic Gitzo Series 4 Compatible Bowl Tripod Legs Carbon Fiber CF
by LEOFOTO
4.5 out of 5 stars 8 customer reviews | 6 answered questions
Price: $499.00 & FREE Returns
$83.16/mo for 6 months with 0% interest equal monthly payments on your Amazon Store Card
Free Amazon product support included
Gitzo series 4 compatible. 70mm Diameter Top Plate / Bowl Socket.
Leg Section Diameters: 36mm, 32mm, 28mm, 25mm.
Includes 70mm Diameter standard 3/8" Stud Mount Flat Plate & 75mm Bowl adapter.
Max height: 63" (1600mm). Max Load: 77lb (35kg).
3 position leg Locks 25 55 85

This is the one I have for the same gear, and I couldn't be happier. I use the Markins ballhead. Got it on amazon.

Last edited by TerryL; 2 Days Ago at 09:47 AM. Reason: spelling
3 Days Ago   #9

Berlebach mini wooden tripod!
3 Days Ago   #10
pid
Pentaxian

I use the Rollei Compact Traveller No.1 Carbon. It is not very expensive, small and stable for a light Tripod.
You can read a very good test of a lot of Traveller Tripods here, if you understand german or use google translate:
https://www.traumflieger.de/reports/DSLR-Zubehoer/Stativ-Tipps/Der-Stativ-Test::1097.html
1 Day Ago   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I used to have a heavy duty Giotto tripod with Manfrotto ball head that was primarily matched to my 6x6 MF cameras. However after a while, it became too cumbersome and heavy to constantly bring on trips. Now, I have a MeFoto Roadtrip Classic in carbon fiber. Specs say it'll support up to 26 pounds. Most I've ever loaded it with was my K1-II with grip and a Pentax 70-200. Combined, total weight of the camera and lens was about 8 or 9 lbs. Rock solid tripod if not extended too high. Best part, the whole thing folds into something that'll fit into a small gym bag and weighs less than 5 pounds.

https://www.mefoto.com/products/RoadTrip-Classic-cf-Leather-Edition