Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-25-2019, 05:56 PM   #1
Forum Member

Attaching a K-1 to a telescope

Hello all! I am petitioning the forum for help with connecting my K-1 to my telescope. (In advance) I appreciate your help. I've always loved photography, and I've always love astronomy. I'd like to marry the two with the camera and scope that I already have.

I'd mostly like to photograph Messier objects, DSOs, maybe some planets (not so much).

Here is my telescope.

I understand that I will be limited to short exposures do to my mount, but I have heard that short exposures can be stacked to yield reasonably good images.

Can anyone provide a list of equipment that i will need to purchase to make this work, and a brief summary of the technique? Also, I have both a 1.25" and a 2" diagonal -- is the 2" be better for the full frame K-1? Where do I find the adapters for 2"?

Thank you!

08-25-2019, 06:48 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Emperor and Senpai
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I do astrophotography with a K1 (and a K3, and a K5, and a K-01) and it's pretty easy. As long as you have the proper amount of backfocus you can just use a 2" T adapter. One thing you will need is a corrector for that since it is not an edge. You will need a corrector for it, and for a full frame one it's going to be expensive. Here's one: Starizona SCT Coma Corrector LF - Large Format C11/C14 - SCTCORR-LF

There are other correctors such as the much cheaper Celestron 6.3 (forget the 3.3, it wont work at all for AP), but iy will not correct full frame, or even fully correct APSC.

If you want to see what a K1 can do check my astrobin: Scotty Bishop's gallery - AstroBin
08-25-2019, 07:03 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
What do I need to connect my Pentax K-1 to my telescope - DSLR & Digital Camera Astro Imaging & Processing - Cloudy Nights
08-26-2019, 11:30 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
I do astrophotography with a K1 (and a K3, and a K5, and a K-01) and it's pretty easy. As long as you have the proper amount of backfocus you can just use a 2" T adapter. One thing you will need is a corrector for that since it is not an edge. You will need a corrector for it, and for a full frame one it's going to be expensive. Here's one: Starizona SCT Coma Corrector LF - Large Format C11/C14 - SCTCORR-LF

There are other correctors such as the much cheaper Celestron 6.3 (forget the 3.3, it wont work at all for AP), but iy will not correct full frame, or even fully correct APSC.

If you want to see what a K1 can do check my astrobin: Scotty Bishop's gallery - AstroBin
VoiceofReason, I checked out your website, and I must say that you are a very talented astrophotogher. Those shots are truly incredible. Anything else I need if I get that $600 coma corrector? I do have a paracorr. Will that help with coma? Is there a way to attach the camera even with a paracorr on it?

08-26-2019, 12:39 PM   #5
Emperor and Senpai
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Vote4Pedro Quote
VoiceofReason, I checked out your website, and I must say that you are a very talented astrophotogher. Those shots are truly incredible. Anything else I need if I get that $600 coma corrector? I do have a paracorr. Will that help with coma? Is there a way to attach the camera even with a paracorr on it?
The Paracorr is for a newtonian, and what you have is an SCT. You will need the proper t-ring and maybe spacers, but the corrector I linked is pretty well the only thing that will work for you since that isn't an Edge version.

There are different types of correctors for different scopes, and some scopes don't need one. You have to have the proper one for your scope. I would also recommend a wedge for the mount itself so you're not limited to 15 or 20 second exposures.
10-04-2019, 03:51 AM   #6

Thank you for the information. I too have a CPC1100 and want to attach my K-1 to it and sent back the Celestron corrector 6.3 based upon your recommendations, but I also still have this amazon.com : Celestron T-Adapter with SCT 5, 6, 8 with 9.25, 11, 14, Black (93633-A) : Telescope Eyepieces : Camera & Photo?tag=pentaxforums-20&the Celestron prime focus adapter. Should I send that back as well?
I have a t-adapter for the K-1, but no spacers that you had mentioned. Could you tell me what spacers I need to make this work?
10-04-2019, 11:59 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I have a Celestron 8" SCT and on my setup even with a 2" inch diagonal it doesn't cover a full frame sensor. If you have another DSLR I would recommend using that, but a K-1 will work in square crop mode. I have not tried it with a 6.3 corrector though.