Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-26-2019, 11:10 AM - 3 Likes   #1

L-Bracket for Pentax K1 with Grip

Good afternoon everyone;

As happens to many of us, when I bought the K1, I bought the Grip, and for me, it is an indispensable accessory for my cameras, ergonomics, grip, aesthetics ... everything improves when you put the grip ... -Less weight and size.

Due to the type of photography I take-lanscape and astro-, it is also essential for me to have an L-bracket, to be able to place the camera vertically quickly ... And since I got my K1 a few months ago, I started looking for a compatible one with the K1 ... but as we all know ... every time one of us - a pentaxian - starts looking for an accessory for his camera ... He ends up losing his mind ... and with L-brackets it was not going to be different ... I found a generic one that works, but... every time I wanted to change the battery, I had to remove it from the K1... and I was not completely satisfied ... And the others that exist for other camera brands don't work either since the grip of our pentax has the thread displaced (I also tried one for the D5 and nothing) ....

Although there are brands of accessories that make specifics L-brackets for the K1 without a grip (kirk, RRS, markins) none of these brands do - nor will do, since I have asked them - a specific L-bracket for K1 with grip ... So how I told you ... I bought a generic and adjustable one and I lost hope of finding a compatible one ... until I entered in a chinese website -to look for information about the centenary- and saw the following photo (I made the red circles):

This made me think again that there was an L-bracket compatible with the K1 and grip and I began to investigate, and investigate and nothing... I did not find anything ... until I decided to translate the footprint of the photo on that webpage where they said: "L-bracket for the K3 with adjustment for the K1" Then I did a little investigation again to see if it exists anything for the K3 with grip, and that L-bracket was the mestos PD-K3HL, so I decided to buy one and try that modification...

The only thing that needs to be done, is just a notch in the back of the part for the battery tray as shown. I recommend you to do it manually...

Then if you want, you can also paint it, to give it a more professional look:

And here you have it finished

And working perfectly:

I have to say that the L-bracket fits perfectly with the K1 and the grip like a glove, and the fact of having made it a small notch does not affect the integrity at all, it is hard as a rock. Also to say that the compartment of the HDMI does not open since the K1 is larger than the K3 and the lid is covered by the L-bracket. But honestly, I don't care because I have never used these outputs and I don't think I'm going to use them in the future...

Regards

-Jmpince-

09-26-2019, 12:39 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Can you give a link for the bracket, maybe as PM.

thanks
09-26-2019, 02:30 PM   #3

Original Poster
If someone is interested on the link I could send by PM. I don't know if it is allowed to post "shopping links" here.
10-01-2019, 08:25 AM   #4

I do not recommend the Desmond L Bracket. I bought it and it does not have any material on the bottom to help hold it in place. IE some fabric or rubbery material. So even if I tighten the bracket as much as possible, it still will shift.

10-01-2019, 11:59 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SirTomster Quote
I do not recommend the Desmond L Bracket. I bought it and it does not have any material on the bottom to help hold it in place. IE some fabric or rubbery material. So even if I tighten the bracket as much as possible, it still will shift.
Thanks for the advice, but none of the desmonds L-brackets are mentioned here!!