Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
10-01-2019, 12:34 PM - 1 Like   #1
Forum Member

Pentax K1 - Audio recording capability

Hello,

I bought my K1 time ago and I wanted to buy an external microphone because I didn't know K1 had one!

Anyway I didn't care about video at that time...

One month ago I had some fun and I made a bass cover of Chatter Box - New York Dolls song. I have just a little knowledge in recording but I think it sounds exactly as I played even working on low and mid low frequencies which has to be a challenge for a so tiny hidden microphone. My amply is a Marc Bass - Jeff Berlin model 400W . I used a Pentax FA 15-30 mm lens, a remote control and a tripod then Premiere on Windows...

Any suggestion will be appreciated.

10-01-2019, 02:04 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
All you need to know can be found in this thread: K-1 questions for Video, specifically external mic/sound suggestions - PentaxForums.com

More here: Which Microphone Model and Brand do you Recommend to use with Pentax K3 and K1? - PentaxForums.com

Any microphone with the following specifications will work:

Plug: Stereo mini plug (Φ3.5mm)
Format: Stereo electrets condenser
Power: Plug-in Power Method (operating voltage of 2.0V or lower.)
Impedance: 2.2kΩ

Information from here: PENTAX K-1 | FAQ | Support | RICOH IMAGING
10-01-2019, 02:11 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by corvaz Quote
Hello,

I bought my K1 time ago and I wanted to buy an external microphone because I didn't know K1 had one!

Anyway I didn't care about video at that time...

One month ago I had some fun and I made a bass cover of Chatter Box - New York Dolls song. I have just a little knowledge in recording but I think it sounds exactly as I played even working on low and mid low frequencies which has to be a challenge for a so tiny hidden microphone. My amply is a Marc Bass - Jeff Berlin model 400W . I used a Pentax FA 15-30 mm lens, a remote control and a tripod then Premiere on Windows...

Chatter box (New York Dolls) - In memory of Arthur "Killer" Kane // bass cover - YouTube

Any suggestion will be appreciated.
Superb playing and recording. Agree the K-1's audio quality is very good. Surpriseing since so many people knock Pentax video quality. Thanks for proving them wrong.
Thanks for sharing,
barondla
10-01-2019, 02:34 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Would anyone have guessed this was made with a Pentax if you had not told them? Good work.

10-01-2019, 10:23 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I think any audio will suffer, when recording on camera, rather get an external audio-recorder. Especially for stuff like you showed a stereo microphone might be good.
My son many years ago got something like this:

amazon.com: Zoom H1n Handy Recorder (2018 Model): Musical Instruments?tag=pentaxforums-20&

for the same purpose.
10-02-2019, 02:42 AM - 1 Like   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bwgv001 Quote
I think any audio will suffer, when recording on camera, rather get an external audio-recorder. Especially for stuff like you showed a stereo microphone might be good.
My son many years ago got something like this:

amazon.com: Zoom H1n Handy Recorder (2018 Model): Musical Instruments?tag=pentaxforums-20&

for the same purpose.
Maybe it's not clear my intention: I wanted to record only my Mark Bass combo which was behind me and in front of camera. There was also a stereo amply to play the original track but that's not an important source cause I can import it in Premiere later and so mix the two tracks.

"If you want to record music from one source (like in a live situation for instance), yet want a stereo field, a stereo microphone works fine. In all other cases, where you want to mic specific instruments or voices, mono microphone are better choices, and are what the recording industry generally uses." Which is better to record music with, a mono microphone or a stereo microphone? - Quora

I didn't use neither Adobe Audition or Premiere to clean the track or add gain - It was like to have a shot without vignetting. A bass guitar can create vibrations moving walls, floors, windows. Maybe K1 helps to filter some buzz, but anyway I tried to not create it and I balanced my sources and volumes. For sure there are better mono microphones in the market, but for my puorpose, K1 works well in a once.

---------- Post added 10-02-19 at 03:20 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
All you need to know can be found in this thread: K-1 questions for Video, specifically external mic/sound suggestions - PentaxForums.com

More here: Which Microphone Model and Brand do you Recommend to use with Pentax K3 and K1? - PentaxForums.com

Any microphone with the following specifications will work:

Plug: Stereo mini plug (Φ3.5mm)
Format: Stereo electrets condenser
Power: Plug-in Power Method (operating voltage of 2.0V or lower.)
Impedance: 2.2kΩ

Information from here: PENTAX K-1 | FAQ | Support | RICOH IMAGING
Thanks
10-02-2019, 04:08 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by corvaz Quote

Thanks
You're most welcome.