Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-04-2019, 03:31 PM   #1

Using Program Line

I never use this, but was wondering how it might be used by others?

I did try using the High Speed Priority a few times, but could not detect any functional difference than using Tv shutter Priority. I am sure that there is a reason that it is available, so hope to learn more about it.

10-04-2019, 04:09 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Its just a program line that will prioritise a high shutter speed. So it will choose wider aperture and higher ISO than the normal program line setting. But once the light drops it will have to slow the shutter speed too.
10-04-2019, 08:44 PM   #3
Pentaxian

I use the "P" mode sometimes on my K-3ii, i like it for situations where i need quick changes in settings. I can use the front wheel to change shutter speed when i need it faster and the rear dial to change aperture to control depth of field when it is most important, hit the green button and your back to what the camera chooses. It's like having two modes available without needing to reach for the mode dial.
10-04-2019, 08:51 PM   #4

The lens affects the program line too. Higher speed priority may not be as apparent with slower lenses.

10-04-2019, 09:22 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Program line settings

QuoteOriginally posted by wings Quote
I never use this, but was wondering how it might be used by others?
I experimented with the deep depth of field (DDoF) and shallow depth of field (SDoF) lines a month or so back. See

Short experiment, K-3 Program Line settings: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
K-3 Program Line settings. pt 2: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

Basic findings (from my perspective) were that
1. Over all, the difference between SDoF, Normal, and DDoF are real but not overwhelming. I didn't see anything that would argue against a person who likes to shade toward a slightly larger or smaller apertures simply adopting the different program line as their standard preference.
2. I never got a clear feel for how the 'Auto' line works. It appears to be a meta-line, not a specific bias itself but rather a way to let the camera decide which other line to use.

So two different possible use situations:
1. DDoF and SDoF look like set-it-and-forget-it settings--switching to them will just slightly change the camera's sense of the sweet-spot for managing exposure. It's a sort of tweak you might or might not want.
2. For specific shots where you really want to make depth of field a composition element, you're probably going to push the camera farther in shutter and ISO to achieve the aperture effect you want than the program line settings do. So you'd be better off to just go to direct aperture or shutter priority and control your settings for the shot that way.
regards,
traveler

Last edited by bob5050; 10-05-2019 at 03:54 PM.
10-04-2019, 10:45 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My favorite is the MTF transfer program. This picks the aperture range the lens performs best at. Believe this feature is exclusive to Pentax cameras. Obviously it has to be a lens that reports info to the camera.
Thanks,
barondla
10-05-2019, 12:21 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for this thread, this is very interesting, I hope more people can post their findings, much to learn here

10-05-2019, 02:06 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Early on with my Pentax DSLRs, I used to shoot a lot in Program Mode and utilized both the Program Lines and the Hyper Program Feature to get the apertures and shutter speeds I wanted. My most used Program Lines then were (and still are) High-speed priority and MTF priority. The problem was just that I found that with High-speed priority shutter speeds would often not be short enough to reliably freeze an action. Sometimes not even with Auto ISO tweaked to "Fast". In several cases, I would only notice that when I looked at images on the PC monitor.

I got to the point where I realized that Program Mode was making me somewhat lazy, or that I would simply forget to make necessary adjustments. That was and is different when I'm shooting in TAv Mode. There, I am constantly aware that I have to do my homework in selecting appropriate values and, voila, my action shots (and not just those) have become significantly better because the values I choose are based on trial-and-error and experience, and no longer mainly on what the camera deems "best".

Still, I like the "intelligent" Program Line approach in Pentax's implementation of Program Mode.
10-05-2019, 10:44 AM   #9
Pentaxian

I never relied on the "P" mode for sports or any real fast action, it is just another tool that works for you when used properly. I set the auto ISO and use the hyper modes as needed, i took some senior photos and from that i learned kids expect instant results so speed is a critical factor. Changing modes at the touch of a finger beats changing the mode dial everytime.
10-05-2019, 12:24 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wings Quote
I did try using the High Speed Priority a few times, but could not detect any functional difference than using Tv shutter Priority. I am sure that there is a reason that it is available, so hope to learn more about it.
In Tv mode, you choose the shutter speed and the camera chooses an aperture setting for a good exposure. In Program (P) mode, the camera chooses both the shutter speed and aperture setting. How it makes these decisions is controlled by the program line setting. High Speed Priority will tend to choose faster shutter speeds and wider aperture values. You just point and shoot. It's convenient for quick shooting, but the camera may pick values that are inappropriate for certain situations.

I'm sort of repeating what others have said above in a different way, but wanted to point out to the OP the basic difference between Tv and P modes.

QuoteOriginally posted by bschriver11 Quote
I can use the front wheel to change shutter speed when i need it faster and the rear dial to change aperture to control depth of field when it is most important, hit the green button and your back to what the camera chooses. It's like having two modes available without needing to reach for the mode dial.
This is how you override the values the Program has chosen. Pentax calls it Hyper-Program. The camera chooses values based on the selected program line preference, but you get to tweak them for specific situations.

Forgive me if I have overstated the obvious. It may not be obvious to everyone though.
10-05-2019, 02:51 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Maybe check out this article (jump to "What Recommended Settings"):
Pentax Green Button Guide - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com