Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-07-2019, 09:20 AM - 1 Like   #16
Pentaxian
pete-tarmigan's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Conception Bay South, New-fun-land
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,229
I use the "Smart Function" (p. 19 in the K-1 operating manual) wheels a lot. With short lenses I set the "Function dial" to exposure compensation (+/-, p. 46 in the manual) so I can adjust the exposure compensation with the "Setting dial". With 400mm or longer lenses I set the Function dial to "Crop" and adjust the angle of view (p. 43 in the manual) on-the-fly with the Setting dial (APS-C, Full Frame, or 1:1), i.e., if the subject is distant and smaller than the APS-C frame I choose APS-C mode, but if the subject is close enough to fill the Full Frame I set it to Full Frame.

10-07-2019, 10:58 AM   #17
Pentaxian




Join Date: Aug 2010
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 638
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pete-tarmigan Quote
I use the "Smart Function" (p. 19 in the K-1 operating manual) wheels a lot. With short lenses I set the "Function dial" to exposure compensation (+/-, p. 46 in the manual) so I can adjust the exposure compensation with the "Setting dial". With 400mm or longer lenses I set the Function dial to "Crop" and adjust the angle of view (p. 43 in the manual) on-the-fly with the Setting dial (APS-C, Full Frame, or 1:1), i.e., if the subject is distant and smaller than the APS-C frame I choose APS-C mode, but if the subject is close enough to fill the Full Frame I set it to Full Frame.
Hmm, I have to admit, I have never thought about such way of the "Crop" function usage. Will try to play with different lenses. Thank you for sharing!
10-07-2019, 11:25 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
ffking's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Poole
Posts: 4,654
I don't use the top back dial much (or the function dial) - I mostly use the back dial for zooming in to check focus when in live view on a tripod - there are other ways it would make sense to use it. like exposure compensation or ISO for example, but I'm so used to the other ay od doing it I don't always stop to think. I actually try to fiddle as little as possible with the settings except when on a trpod taking studio shots or landscapes, mostly when I'm in manual mode.
10-07-2019, 12:42 PM   #19
Pentaxian
pete-tarmigan's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Conception Bay South, New-fun-land
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,229
QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
I don't use the top back dial much (or the function dial) - I mostly use the back dial for zooming in to check focus when in live view on a tripod - there are other ways it would make sense to use it. like exposure compensation or ISO for example, but I'm so used to the other ay od doing it I don't always stop to think. I actually try to fiddle as little as possible with the settings except when on a trpod taking studio shots or landscapes, mostly when I'm in manual mode.
It sort of allows you to zoom a lens in and out despite the fact you have a fixed-focal-length lens attached.

10-07-2019, 01:06 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
bilybianca's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Hassleholm, Sweden
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 256
I never use those two wheels, and could very well have done without them. To my they are an unnecessary gimmick. ISO and exposure compensation have dedicated buttons in the right places, and the rest of the functions are also easy to set.

Kjell
10-07-2019, 02:02 PM - 3 Likes   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Prince George, BC
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,919
Uh huh. Try using those little buttons at 20 below with gloves on. That is when you smile and use the big dials.
10-07-2019, 02:30 PM   #22
Pentaxian
builttospill's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Utah, Idaho
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,947
QuoteOriginally posted by peggers Quote
I find the wifi option gets the most use on mine. As a general rule of thumb the thing that is hardest to get to in the menus is the one that would get the most use. On this topic, wouldn't it be great if the wheel was able to be customised? That is you could assign functions to it that are most useful to yourself.
I really wish Pixel Shift was available on the wheel.
10-08-2019, 12:33 AM - 1 Like   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,338
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
I mainly shoot manual,
I too often use manual on my cameras (Av sometimes), have always thought many people do, thus my sometimes posting of the need for a stripped down digital camera maybe a MX type with just the bare needed settings (ISO aperture, shutter)

10-08-2019, 12:42 AM   #24
Senior Member
Gerbermiester's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: British Columbia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 283
I pretty much go from ISO to wifi and back. When I'm out and about with family and friends, I'll transfer JPEGs over on the spot to share, then the wheel is back on ISO
10-08-2019, 06:38 AM   #25
Pentaxian




Join Date: Aug 2010
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 638
Original Poster
Thank you, guys. So, I am not alone. :-)
10-08-2019, 09:17 AM - 1 Like   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: midwest, United States
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,974
QuoteOriginally posted by builttospill Quote
I really wish Pixel Shift was available on the wheel.
I have pixel shift set to the f2 (down button) of the 4 way controller. Works well.
Thanks,
barondla
10-08-2019, 10:39 AM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
Crooski's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Rozenburg , Zuid-Holland
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,584
Good tip I'm going to try that
10-08-2019, 11:09 AM - 1 Like   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
bilybianca's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Hassleholm, Sweden
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 256
QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
Uh huh. Try using those little buttons at 20 below with gloves on. That is when you smile and use the big dials.
You use gloves at -20??? That's when I take the last gin'n'tonic in the garden before the summer ends! Now, of course Canada is a bit closer to the equator, so maybe you are a bit more sensitive.

Kjell
10-08-2019, 05:45 PM   #29
Pentaxian




Join Date: Aug 2010
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 638
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bilybianca Quote
You use gloves at -20??? That's when I take the last gin'n'tonic in the garden before the summer ends! Now, of course Canada is a bit closer to the equator, so maybe you are a bit more sensitive.

Kjell
This thread is not about the people's stamina...
10-09-2019, 02:20 AM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Perth Western Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 192
QuoteOriginally posted by Vasyl Quote
This thread is not about the people's stamina...
Of course it is. We all have a K1 or K1ii!
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
customer service, pentax, pentax k-1 wheels, ricoh imaging, suggestion, wheels
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pixle Shift Usage DWS1 Pentax K-70 8 03-28-2019 03:11 AM
Lens usage dsmithhfx Pentax Film SLR Discussion 10 01-14-2019 01:58 PM
Metz 45 flash usage - DSLRs macabee Pentax DSLR Discussion 3 12-16-2018 07:50 AM
4 Wheels move the body; 2 wheels move the soul! Heinno Monthly Photo Contests 0 11-10-2015 10:44 AM
Wheels upon wheels mickeyobe Monthly Photo Contests 0 08-31-2011 12:59 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:40 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top