Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-07-2019, 09:20 AM - 1 Like   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I use the "Smart Function" (p. 19 in the K-1 operating manual) wheels a lot. With short lenses I set the "Function dial" to exposure compensation (+/-, p. 46 in the manual) so I can adjust the exposure compensation with the "Setting dial". With 400mm or longer lenses I set the Function dial to "Crop" and adjust the angle of view (p. 43 in the manual) on-the-fly with the Setting dial (APS-C, Full Frame, or 1:1), i.e., if the subject is distant and smaller than the APS-C frame I choose APS-C mode, but if the subject is close enough to fill the Full Frame I set it to Full Frame.

10-07-2019, 10:58 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pete-tarmigan Quote
I use the "Smart Function" (p. 19 in the K-1 operating manual) wheels a lot. With short lenses I set the "Function dial" to exposure compensation (+/-, p. 46 in the manual) so I can adjust the exposure compensation with the "Setting dial". With 400mm or longer lenses I set the Function dial to "Crop" and adjust the angle of view (p. 43 in the manual) on-the-fly with the Setting dial (APS-C, Full Frame, or 1:1), i.e., if the subject is distant and smaller than the APS-C frame I choose APS-C mode, but if the subject is close enough to fill the Full Frame I set it to Full Frame.
Hmm, I have to admit, I have never thought about such way of the "Crop" function usage. Will try to play with different lenses. Thank you for sharing!
10-07-2019, 11:25 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't use the top back dial much (or the function dial) - I mostly use the back dial for zooming in to check focus when in live view on a tripod - there are other ways it would make sense to use it. like exposure compensation or ISO for example, but I'm so used to the other ay od doing it I don't always stop to think. I actually try to fiddle as little as possible with the settings except when on a trpod taking studio shots or landscapes, mostly when I'm in manual mode.
10-07-2019, 12:42 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
I don't use the top back dial much (or the function dial) - I mostly use the back dial for zooming in to check focus when in live view on a tripod - there are other ways it would make sense to use it. like exposure compensation or ISO for example, but I'm so used to the other ay od doing it I don't always stop to think. I actually try to fiddle as little as possible with the settings except when on a trpod taking studio shots or landscapes, mostly when I'm in manual mode.
It sort of allows you to zoom a lens in and out despite the fact you have a fixed-focal-length lens attached.

10-07-2019, 01:06 PM   #20
Pentaxian

I never use those two wheels, and could very well have done without them. To my they are an unnecessary gimmick. ISO and exposure compensation have dedicated buttons in the right places, and the rest of the functions are also easy to set.

Kjell
10-07-2019, 02:02 PM - 3 Likes   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Uh huh. Try using those little buttons at 20 below with gloves on. That is when you smile and use the big dials.
10-07-2019, 02:30 PM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by peggers Quote
I find the wifi option gets the most use on mine. As a general rule of thumb the thing that is hardest to get to in the menus is the one that would get the most use. On this topic, wouldn't it be great if the wheel was able to be customised? That is you could assign functions to it that are most useful to yourself.
I really wish Pixel Shift was available on the wheel.

10-08-2019, 12:33 AM - 1 Like   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
I mainly shoot manual,
I too often use manual on my cameras (Av sometimes), have always thought many people do, thus my sometimes posting of the need for a stripped down digital camera maybe a MX type with just the bare needed settings (ISO aperture, shutter)
10-08-2019, 12:42 AM   #24
Pentaxian

I pretty much go from ISO to wifi and back. When I'm out and about with family and friends, I'll transfer JPEGs over on the spot to share, then the wheel is back on ISO
10-08-2019, 06:38 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you, guys. So, I am not alone. :-)
10-08-2019, 09:17 AM - 1 Like   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by builttospill Quote
I really wish Pixel Shift was available on the wheel.
I have pixel shift set to the f2 (down button) of the 4 way controller. Works well.
Thanks,
barondla
10-08-2019, 10:39 AM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Good tip I'm going to try that
10-08-2019, 11:09 AM - 1 Like   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
Uh huh. Try using those little buttons at 20 below with gloves on. That is when you smile and use the big dials.
You use gloves at -20??? That's when I take the last gin'n'tonic in the garden before the summer ends! Now, of course Canada is a bit closer to the equator, so maybe you are a bit more sensitive.

Kjell
10-08-2019, 05:45 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bilybianca Quote
You use gloves at -20??? That's when I take the last gin'n'tonic in the garden before the summer ends! Now, of course Canada is a bit closer to the equator, so maybe you are a bit more sensitive.

Kjell
This thread is not about the people's stamina...
10-09-2019, 02:20 AM   #30

QuoteOriginally posted by Vasyl Quote
This thread is not about the people's stamina...
Of course it is. We all have a K1 or K1ii!